Joshua Miles BACP Accredited Psychotherapist
How I Can Help You
I am an experienced, fully qualified and BACP Accredited psychotherapist. I offer short term counselling and open ended psychotherapy to adults of all ages from my practice in Shoreditch, East London.
I can help if you find yourself feeling disconnected, lost in a sea of emotion or feeling as though the life you are living is not your own. You may feel dissatisfied or unhappy with your life be in the midst of a crisis or seek resolution for a particular difficulty.
Psychotherapy provides a space for meaningful self-expression and reflection, where you can freely unravel, explore and understand your feelings, thoughts and experiences in depth. I aim to assist you in more fully understanding your desires and motivations, developing a greater sense of self, and gaining further clarity and perspective of thought.
Through more fully understanding yourself, your past experiences and relationships, I aim to help you resolve your current difficulties, ultimately allowing you to live a life that feels genuine, more connected, real and meaningful.
How I Work
I aim to assist you in exploring your past experiences and relationships, and allow you to gain more clarity and insight into any difficulties you may be facing. I use an integrative model that draws influence and elements from two different models of psychotherapy - Psychodynamic and Humanistic. This integration enables me to tailor psychotherapy to your needs.
Psychodynamic psychotherapy aims to assist you in resolving your existing or historic difficulties through working with you to bring your unconscious mind and thoughts into conscious awareness. Psychodynamic theory holds the view that the mind conceals or retains feelings or memories which may be too painful or difficult for the conscious mind to process.
Humanistic psychotherapy aims to focus on your self-development and growth, and recognise your strengths, resourcefulness and creativity. Humanistic theory places emphasis on your self-worth and holds the view that being valued as a person, without being judged, can assist you in making changes in your life.
I am experienced in working with a wide range of life issues, such as -
- Relationship difficulties
- Loss & bereavement
- Family difficulties
- Affairs and betrayals
Getting Started With Psychotherapy
Beginning the process of psychotherapy can be daunting and confusing. If you think psychotherapy could be helpful for you and you wish to find out more, I offer a free 10 minute phone consultation where you can explain a little about your reasons for seeking psychotherapy and what you might hope to gain, and I can answer questions you may have about the process
I aim to respond to any enquiries within 12 hours
Where To Find Me
My practice is easily accessible, located a few minutes' walk from Old Street underground station, in the centre of Shoreditch. The area is served well by a wide range of transport links.
My practice is lift accessible, but has limited disabled access.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a fully qualified psychotherapist, and accredited member of the BACP (Membership number - 731056)
My training was BACP accredited, ensuring a high standard of safe and ethical practice throughout.
- Bachelors of Art Degree in Counselling
- Foundation Degree in Counselling
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Bereavement Counsellor - CARIS Islington - 2012 - 2015
- Psychotherapist - Highgate Counselling Centre - 2013 - 2014
- Psychotherapist - Highbury Counselling Centre - 2013 - 2014
- I regularly attend talks, seminars and workshops to expand my knowledge, skills and understanding as a psychotherapist
I have a background as a musician for the last 19 years, and have experience working with children, young people and mature students as a Mental Health & Wellbeing Support Worker and as a Special Needs Learning Assistant.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Career counselling
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
Individuals - £70
Couples - £85
Some reduced fee rates are available for students and those on low incomes. Please ask for more information.
I charge for all cancelled & missed sessions. I will offer a replacement time the same week if one is available, however this is not always possible. If I have to cancel a session, there is no charge.
Sessions are usually attended once per week. Sometimes more or less frequent sessions may be appropriate. This is something we can discuss together.
- How to manage feeling sad
- How to manage a depression relapse
- Understanding and managing overthinking
- The importance of psychotherapy during the division of Brexit
- Understanding fear of intimacy - a brief exploration
- Understanding ambivalence in loss and grief
- Understanding ambivalence in relationships
- Ambivalence - a brief exploration
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) - a brief exploration
- Why the use of imagination in psychotherapy matters
- Men's mental health - Masculinity and feelings
- Why do we grieve the deaths of celebrities?
- Relationships issues – exploring difficulties and pressures
- Understanding and managing the loss of relationships
- Paradoxes in therapy - Part one of two
- Paradoxes in therapy - Part two of two
- How to get the most out of your therapy - part two of two
- How to get the most out of your therapy - part one of two
- Understanding narcissism & narcissistic personality disorder
- Understanding and coping with generalised anxiety disorder
- Understanding psychosis and psychotic episodes
- Understanding and managing self-harm
- Understanding and coping with suicidal thoughts
- Understanding and managing psychological trauma
- Understanding and managing divorce and separation
- How to set yourself realistic New Year's resolutions & goals
- The importance of being kinder to yourself
- The importance of dreams and what they can represent
- Understanding and managing postnatal depression
- The important connection between creativity and therapy
- Ten tips to help you improve your mental well-being
- Understanding attachment and adult attachment styles
- How to manage conflict in relationships
- 10 Tips to help you beat the autumn blues
- What is reality testing and why is it important?
- Understanding codependency
- Coping with the aftermath of an attempted suicide
- Understanding low self-esteem and how to improve it
- Why the therapeutic relationship matters
- What is emotional abuse and how to identify it
- What is seasonal affective disorder and how to manage it
- Phobias - A brief introduction
- Panic disorder - A brief introduction
- Family dynamics and the roles we play
- Coping with affairs and betrayals
- The importance of forgiving yourself and others
- Understanding guilt and shame
- The importance of building resilience
- Being in the moment - How to be more mindful
- Understanding and managing anger
- Is therapy self-indulgent?
- Managing and understanding loneliness
- The power of saying no - taking ownership and control
- Switching off - disconnecting from technology & social media
- Relationship issues - How to understand and manage them
- The roots of loss and grief
- Understanding and managing anxiety
- Understanding sudden and abrupt loss due to suicide
- Dissociation and dissociative states - A brief introduction
- Depression - Seeing through the fog
- Sudden and abrupt loss - A brief exploration
- Making sense of grief - Seeing the horizon
I have a 20 years experience as a song writer, musician, music producer and poet. I have a particular interest in working with musicians and people who have jobs or interests within the creative industries, and who may be experiencing difficulties around their creativity. You may be experiencing creative block, stage fright, a lack of inspiration or a crisis of confidence within your chosen creative field.
I understand first hand the importance of creativity, and know that it has a wide ranging influence in many aspects of life. I am aware of the difficulties inherent in working within creative fields, and the challenges this can bring.
I realise the importance of understanding what your creativity means for you, and I am able to assist you in exploring creativity at depth, providing a space where you can think about it in a deep and meaningful way. I aim to assist you in exploring your creative processes, finding ways of thinking about how you can be more creative, and help you to get past any blocks you may be experiencing.
Loss & Bereavement
I have significant experience providing psychotherapy and counselling to people experiencing loss and bereavement. I understand that grief and loss can deeply impact many aspects of life, and that it can bring forth powerful and difficult feelings that can feel overwhelming and leave a mark on your entire life. I realise well, how inescapable loss can feel at points, and how isolating it can seem.
If you have experienced the death of a loved one either recently or in the past, I can assist you in better understanding your loss, and work through your feelings to help you to find your place in the world without your loved one.
I also understand that loss does not only relate to death, and that we can struggle at different points in life to manage with other losses, such as loss of relationship or loss of job or status. If you find yourself unsure of how to come to terms with other forms of loss in your life, I can work with you to explore your feelings, thoughts and experiences. and think about the meaning of this loss in your life.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I have a variety of daytime and evening availability between Monday and Friday.
Types of client