I am an experienced psychotherapist working essentially with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy -CBT, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy -ACT models and interventions to support and facilitate clients's recovery from a wide range of emotional and behavioural difficulties. I have also had twenty years experience of working with addictions (alcohol and drugs misuse, compulsive gambling).
- Anxiety Disorders (panic, agoraphobia, worry, health anxiety, specific phobias, obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Eating disorders
- Problems and difficulties arising from early life and/or developmental traumatic experiences
- Personality difficulties
- Addictive disorders (alcohol and substance misuse and dependence).
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked as a psychotherapist since 1994. I worked in Portugal, Republic of Ireland and since 2005 in England (Liverpool and Wirral areas). I have got a background and robust experience of twenty years of work as addictions therapist. During that time I developed experience and understanding of a variety of psychotherapeutic models such as Cognitive Behavioural, Family Systems, and Abstinence Based models such as Twelve Steps and Social Support. Over the last ten years I have further developed knowledge, skills and understanding of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy models and interventions which constitute the core of my current psychotherapeutic approach. I am a Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist with full accreditation by the BABCP (British Association for the Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies).
- Since April 2016 working fulltime in private practice with consulting rooms in Liverpool and Wirral (West Kirby). BUPA certified provider.
- Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist (Full BABCP accreditation)
Trent CBT - Trent Wirral PTS (December 2011 to present)
- Sessional Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist at the Priory Altrincham Hospital
2013 to present
- Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist
Priory Hospital Altrincham (2010 -2011)
- Senior Addictions Counsellor at SHARP Liverpool /Action on Addiction
- Addictions Therapist
Associaçao Tratamento Toxicodependecias, Sintra-Portugal
- Addictions Therapist at Aseiri Residential Treatment Centres, Republic of Ireland
- Hazelden Foundation Diploma in Chemical Dependence Counselling (1994)
- Year 1 of Foundation Degree in Addictions Counselling, University of Bath (2005)
- Level 5 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling (CBT), Wirral Metropolitan College (2007)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy, Edge Hill University, (2010)
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists.
BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Monday to Friday -- all day and evenings.