Emma-Jane LaRoche BA (Hons) Counselling & Psychotherapy MBACP
Thank you for taking a minute to stop by my page.
When being heard starts the healing process!
Perhaps you are going through a tough period in your life and have decided that now is the time to seek professional help! Are there events in your past which you feel are impacting on your present life or even influencing your future! Do you feel you need to discuss a difficult relationship where you can talk candidly and freely without the well meaning opinions of family and friends?
Friends and family can mean well but perhaps they haven't fully understood what you've been saying or possibly the situation is because of them.
Together we discuss what is important to you. Providing a space where you are listened to and heard, where what you say counts and is important. Counselling allows you the time and space to make sense of your worries and find a solution to make the changes you need to carry on and feel confident in your life.
As well as helping individuals with Anxiety and Depression, some of the other areas I work with are listed below
- Relationships- marriage difficulties, communicating problems with work colleagues, family or friends, bullying, domestic abuse.
- Sress-pressure of work, family, money or just life in general.
- Life changing events- bereavement, redundancy, children leaving home, illness.
- Trouble with feelings- loneliness, feeling suicidal, lack of confidence, low self-esteem, feelings of negativity towards yourself or others, self-harm
Finding solutions - making positive changes!
As a Transactional Analysis Counsellor I will work with you to understand what is holding you back from making these changes. Transactional Analysis is a theory of personality. Perhaps you've noticed that there appears to be negative repetitive patterns in your relationships. This could be with either friends, partners, family or work colleagues.
Working together we look at your communication skills and how to develop personal strategies to help you to get the best out of life. For further information please see my website www.141counselling.com.
About me and my practice
- I am a fully trained counsellor and Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy offering individual therapy where you have the opportunity to talk about your worries and difficulties in a confidential and safe space.
- I offer counselling for clients of 16 years and above, for either short (time-limited)or long term therapy.
- I work with a variety of issues including anxiety,depression, low self-esteem, bereavement and relationship issues.
- My purpose is to provide a confidential space where you can talk and be heard without being judged or criticised.
- Together we look at what may be causing you difficulties and identify solutions to help you make the changes in your life you need to move forward.
- I use a variety of therapeutic tools which are tailored to meet your individual requirements. This may include some psycho education where you are able to learn more about who you are and identify negative repeated patterns of behaviour which may be preventing you from change.
Canine Assisted Activities Therapy - This therapy is particularly useful for anxiety, low self esteem/confidence, problem solving skills, communication and relationship skills or those who would prefer a different kind of therapy. It is useful for children, adolescents and adults. In particular my specialism is dog agility. Dogs are unconditional, accepting and non-judgemental. Please contact me for further details.
General information about the counselling I provideWhat to expect
Your counselling session lasts 50 minutes and in the initial meeting we talk about what has brought you to counselling. I will also ask some questions and then explain how the counselling process works. It will give you the opportunity to ask questions and discuss any worries and concerns you may have and then between us we agree to the frequency and time that these sessions will take place.
Counselling also helps with:
- Understanding more about who you are
- Self development
- Self awareness.
- Exploring your thoughts, feelings and behaviour
- Creating personal choice
- Making positive changes in your life
I provide a non-judgemental, compassionate and supportive environment. I am happy to offer you a free 10 minute initial phone conversation to discuss whether I can be of any help. Times and days of the week are flexible so please feel free to contact me to arrange an appointment.
Pet bereavement/pet loss counselling
Many pet owners form strong attachments to their animals and indeed animals are becoming much more involved in our lives compared to say 30 years ago.
For some pet owners it's hard to find family and friends who fully appreciate the strong emotional tie that this relationship brings. Dogs in particular are accepting, unconditional and non-judgmental.
Grieving for the death or loss of a pet is perfectly normal. Having an attachment and bond with a pet with whom you may have been closer to than a human being or who has been there for you through some tough times can bring strong emotional feelings.
Losing a pet through theft or accident can be particularly difficult and bring its emotional complications such as guilt and anger.
Sometimes tough decisions have to be made such as decisions about euthanasia and this can be difficult to discuss with friends and family.
Talking to a counsellor can help bring more clarity and offer the time and space needed to help process this grief.
Training, qualifications & experience
B.A.(Hons) Transactional Analysis Counselling (1st class)
FdA Humanistic Counselling, based on Transactional Analysis (Distinction) Middlesex University. (BACP Accredited)
Certificate in Introduction to Counselling (CPCAB)
L2 Certificate in Counselling Skills (CPCAB)
L3 Certificate in Counselling Studies (CPCAB)
Certificate of Transactional Analysis 101 from ITA (Institute of Transactional Analysis)
Animal Assisted Play Therapy™ Theory, Research and Practice (Level 1)
Canine Communication in Animal Assisted Play Therapy™
Introduction to Animal Assisted Play Therapy™
(Validated by the Family Enhancement & Play Therapy Center ,Inc.
International Institute for Animal Assisted Play Therapy™)
I am a registered member of the following associations:
- The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP)
- Society for Companion Animal Studies (SCAS)
- Hampshire Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (HACP)
I attend regular one to one and group supervision sessions and am committed to improve my service by attending continuing professional development courses. The ethical guidelines that underpin my work are defined by the BACP (http://www.bacp.co.uk/about_bacp/).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Canine Assisted Activities Therapy
The advantages of AAT or Animal Assisted therapy are becoming much more understood and valuable in the area of therapy.
Dogs in particular are found to offer many therapeutic benefits. They are unconditional, non- judgemental and accepting.
Using dog agility can be especially beneficial for those with anxiety, low self esteem, increasing relationship skills, motivation, problem solving skills , reduce stress and blood pressure.
Dog agility is useful for children and adults alike so if this is something you may be interested in please contact me for more details.
Photos & videos
Each session lasts 50 minutes and is £50 per session.
I ask that payment is made either in advance or at each individual session.
I have private practice facilities in both Lightwater and Guildford n Surrey. Both are situated close to the M3/M25.
I also have a practice at Odiham in Hampshire where I offer Animal Assisted Therapy.
A discount is offered to student counsellors. Please contact me for further details.
I offer Animal Assisted Therapy at my Odiham practice with my own dog who has previously been a registered PAT dog. (Please note she is a non-molting breed). Sometimes the presence of a dog/cat in the therapy room can help to make a more relaxed environment. Ongoing research shows the benefits of animal companionship both physically and mentally for people of all ages. Should you be interested in AAT please call me to discuss so an assessment can be arranged. Animal Assisted Therapy is available purely on a case by case basis.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
My hours are flexible so please feel free to call and discuss a suitable time.
Types of client