MBACP Dip. Couns. BA(Hons)
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Hello, I’m Emily, a caring and creative Integrative Counsellor. I work online, by phone and in person with people who live in the Canterbury and East Kent area and online with people who live throughout Kent and South East England. I can help you by offering you counselling for most issues including
- Low Self-esteem,
- Relationship Issues,
- Bereavement & Loss
- Lack of motivation
- Managing or implementing change
- Existential issues
I can offer you either Long-term Counselling or Short-term Counselling. The way that we work together will be tailored to your individual needs.
I offer a range of appointment times throughout the week, including some late afternoon, evening and weekend appointments.
I offer your first introductory session FREE of charge to enable you to meet me and together we can decide if this is an appropriate service for you.
I am also pleased to offer student discounts.
I offer Special Counselling for:
- Students (all ages)
- Autism, Neurodiversity
- Young People
- Creative Professionals
- Teachers and Educators
- Older People
(For more details about Special Counselling, other services and my fees please scroll down to the bottom of this page).
I also offer some additional services, such as Mentoring, Groups and Workshops - please enquire.
QUICK STEPS TO STARTING COUNSELLING:
1) Phone me on 07885 288254 or email me at email@example.com
2) Leave your details and I will get in touch to set up a free introductory session with you.
3) Attend your introductory session with me (in person or online) and have the opportunity to meet me and ask to any questions you may have.
4) Start your regular counselling sessions with me online or in person
It can be a struggle to manage the demands of our everyday lives and this can be even more difficult when we also need to deal with additional problems or life events or with challenging relationships. We can find that we experience stress, anxiety, depression or loneliness. We may feel stuck or dissatisfied with some aspects of our lives and things can begin to feel overwhelming and beyond our control. Sometimes when life is tough we can find that we isolate ourselves and withdraw from the people or activities which we love. We can also find that we lose sight of who we really are.
In the busy world we live in it can be hard to find space and time to focus on ourselves and on our difficulties. It can be even harder to find someone who will share that time with us, really listen to us and help and support us in looking after ourselves and in trying to find answers to our questions and resolutions to our difficulties. This is where counselling can really be of help.
Most people who come to counselling want to make changes. During counselling they embark upon a journey of personal growth, which may sometimes feel difficult or challenging for them and at other times feel exciting and enlightening. As their counsellor, I will be there for them throughout this counselling journey, working with them, supporting them and caring about them. I offer my clients regular time and a safe, confidential space to be themselves and to reflect upon and explore anything which they feel troubled by.
Counselling is a unique way of helping people and a truly amazing process!
I am a naturally caring and empathic person and I love working as a counsellor. Being inherently humanistic in my approach, I believe that with the right support people can find a way forward which is right for them. I feel honoured because my work can really help people to realise how wonderful and capable they actually are!
I am a qualified, skilled and experienced Integrative Counsellor and a Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. I work creatively and holistically, primarily by interweaving Person-Centred theory with some elements from Intersubjective Psychology, Attachment Theory, Transactional Analysis and Gestalt Psychotherapy.
I see everyone as unique and believe that our personal uniqueness is one of the many amazing things about being human. I am happy to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds and with different needs and abilities. In recognition and celebration of our personal uniqueness, I always offer bespoke counselling which is always tailored to meet the needs of individual clients. I hope to offer a counselling service which is as inclusive as possible, within the environment in which I practice.
I offer a number of special counselling services, my approach to which draws upon my experience working with and successeses counselling the following client groups - Young People, Creative People, Autism and Neurodiversity, Students, Carers, Parents and Teachers and Educators. I also offer counselling for other counsellors and trainees in the profession.
My professional background is in Education, Care-Work and Fine Art Practice. I have considerable experience counselling within Further and Higher Education environments and also in offering Workplace Counselling. I am adept in running a number of groups, workshops and CPD trainings. I also have further experience in mentoring student and placement counsellors and in running a busy counselling service, as well as in safeguarding work. I am very proud to be one of the founding members of Turquoise Counselling Collective in Canterbury.
- Counselling for Young People - I am a very experienced Young Person’s Counsellor and am adept at working with adolescents and Young People aged 16-25 years. This is a period when most people encounter significant challenges and there is often a great deal of change in people’s lives. I can help you find a path through these difficulties. I am also able to offer meaningful counselling to the families and carers of Young People.
- Counselling for Creative People
- Counselling for Autism, Neurodiversity-Diversity Counselling
- Counselling for Students
- Counselling for Carers
- Counselling for Parents
- Counselling for Professionals from the field of Education - Teachers, Tutors, Lecturers and Academics
PERSONAL THERAPY FOR MEMBERS OF THE COUNSELLING PROFESSIONS:
Making time for ourselves is an essential element of self-care. It helps us to resource ourselves and supports both our personal and our professional wellbeing. Furthermore, accessing personal therapy when we feel we need to also enhances our professional practice as it helps keep us in touch with the client experience. I offer members of the counselling and psychotherapy professions a discreet, safe and confidential space in which to process their own experiences, emotions, personal relationships and personal contexts. Accessing this personal therapy can support counsellors and psychotherapists in increasing their self-esteem and self-awareness and enhancing self-actualisation.
Training, qualifications & experience
- ABC Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Integrative)
- ABC Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- ABC Level 2 Introduction to Counselling Concepts
- BA(Hons) Fine Art
- BTEC Nat. Dip in Social Care
- TA 101
- Introduction to Gestalt Psychotherapy
- Working with Rape and Childhood Sexual Abuse (L5 equivalent)
- Working with Children, Young People and Families (L5c)
- National Autistic Society EarlyBird Plus Programme
- Designated Safeguarding Officer (L3)
- Mental Health First Aider
I attend many additional trainings and CPDs around subjects related to my Counselling practice including:
- Working with Gender Variant and Gender Questioning People
- Working with Anger
- Working with Suicidal Ideation
- Working with Young People
- Carer Support
- Social Stories
- Sleep Difficulties
- Play and creative therapies
- Working with Trauma
- Eating Disorders
- Working with Care Experienced People
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Personal Therapy for Qualified Counsellors and Psychotherapists
- Counselling for Creative People (way of working draws upon the parallels between the counselling process and the creative process and addresses some of the unique difficulties which creative people can experience)
- Counselling for Young People (very experienced Young Person’s counsellor, adept at working with adolescents and with Young People aged 16-25, also able to offer meaniful counselling to the families and carers of Young People - especially those experiencing a breakdown in the relationship between themselves and their Young Person)
- Student Counselling (support for students of all ages who may be struggling with the demands of studying - these may be amplified by other conflicting demands such as those of employment or family life).
- Counselling for People with Autism, Neurodiversity Counselling (counsellor very experienced at working with autistic spectrum conditions/neutrodiversity, counselling approach is adaptive to support people’s unique needs, interest and communication styles)
- Counselling for Carers (caring for carers - this counselling focuses on the unique difficulties experienced by carers, supports them in the vital role they play and helps them manage the demands they face. An essential element of this therapy is promoting self-care and personal wellbeing).
- Counselling for Parents (parenting can be a wonderful experience, it can also be extremely demanding - this way of working focuses on helping parents meet the needs of their families and also themselves, the support offered can help improve the quality of relationships within the family, the counselling can also support new or expectant parents).
- Counselling for People who Work in Education (working in education involves very particular demands and people can incur a lot of personal stress, this counselling aims to offer teachers and educators a safe place in which to access their own support)
£50.00 per session
Free initial in-person, telephone or online session
Concessions offered for
FEES CHARGED PER 50 MINUTE COUNSELLING SESSION (all modes of delivery):
- Introductory Session - free of charge
- Individual Counselling Session - £50.00
- IndividualCounselling Session (Adult Students) - £40.00 per session (discount applied)
When I work
I offer the flexibility of a variety of appointment times spaced across the week, including office hours and some evenings. Please contact me to enquire about my current availability.