Donna Alexander - Counsellor & Psychotherapist
My name is Donna and I am a Counsellor/Psychotherapist.
Since qualifying over 12 years ago I have been largely working as a Therapist representing various organisations across the Public; Government; Private and Charitable sectors, supporting clients presenting a range of matters from; work-related stress - PTSD; relationships and self-esteem; anxiety through to complex mental health disorders.
Underpinning my practice and philosophy lies a client centred approach. The style in which I engage is diverse and liberal, seeking to work at depth with a client's need. During 2019 I established a private practice - based in Manchester. My practice provides approaches to meet 'What's needed right now' and 'For the long term'
Seeking a single interaction:
- Single-Session Therapy (as named by Windy Dryden) A swift pathway to gaining help at the point of need. (3 separate interactions including Telephone and Face2Face)
Short term/longer term therapy
- Face to Face/Telephone Therapy sessions are underpinned in a person centred philosophy of humanistic therapy, though take an integrative and individualised theme, to meet the needs of the client. (the therapeutic hour is 60 minutes)
Inner Child Therapy
- Parks Inner Child Therapy is a stand-alone model of therapy providing an unobtrusive approach to lasting change, primarily formulated to address abuse in childhood, though leans itself well to understanding negative behaviours and crippling limiting beliefs born from unhealthy relationships. Session duration 1.5 - 4hrs (assessment required)
PICT sits inside my therapeutic philosophy in supporting the person to be the best they can be for themselves, focusing on observing, repairing and restructuring ‘out of date’ hurts/information for the outcome of a more informed and assertive you, which it executes using a non-intrusive methodology - PICT frees us from unpleasant past events. With an increased public awareness of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE), being a qualified PICT Practitioner, delivering the PICT model has become a significant part of my practice.
With exception of the ‘Quick Change’ model in PICT, generically my practice does not offer a sliding fee scale to sessional therapy, nor do I require my clients to commit to blocks of therapy.
Exceptions to this are Seasonal .. (please read additional information)
All sessional work is subject to availability
Alongside my private practice, I assess clients for a specialised counselling service and provide therapy support within a Women’s only Rape Crisis centre. I also act as an Affiliate counsellor for private clients and EAP services.
The work of talking therapy isn’t without challenge, so I respect that starting the process can be uneasy. The journey needs to be thought through, has to be right for you! It would be of value to read many Therapist profiles, and reach out to those that interest you, as this relationship is a very important one. Should you wish to make contact with myself, I always encourage a non-commitment telephone call, just text or email if you'd like me to get in touch.
From my years of working across services, it has been apparent that the demand for therapy escalates during the Winter season. The start of a New Year also prompts reflection on change, and it's a time at which I want to consider how I can meet this in line with my own ethical philosophy?
During December to end January, I’m opening a window for reduced sessional rates, maximum of 4 sessions per client - either Telephone or Face to Face interactions, available to new, existing and previous clients (.. it’s not uncommon for a person to want to return, with sometimes a completely unrelated matter) With exception to PICT - all pre-paid sessions are to be scheduled and completed by 31/03/2020 (Terms will apply - please enquire)
Training, qualifications & experience
Counselling Diploma - 2007
Counselling Degree - 2010
PICT Practitioner Training - 2018
Further to be added
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Telephone - £45.00
Face to Face - £50.00
PICT (fees apply to optional timescales - please enquire)
Single Session - £80 (3 interactions over 21 days)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Gated car park. Two central tram stations in very close proximity. Public transport and rail services close by.
My practice operates a 7 day flexible diary. At the time of your interest - please make an enquiry for the current availability.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|