Cornelia Jones MBACP
Sometimes we go through times of feeling lost, stuck, down, anxious or confused and life can feel hard to bear. You might have a sense that there are difficult dynamics or events that seem to repeat themselves over and over. Or you might not know what's wrong but have a feeling that things aren't as they should be and you would like to take some time to understand yourself better. Talking to a trained professional, who is impartial and not connected to your situation, who will listen and understand without judgement can help.
I can offer you a safe, confidential space to help you explore whatever it is that has brought you to this point. I place real emphasis on building a relationship of trust and security with my clients, where we can explore present troubles, consider the influence of the past and find hope for the future. I believe that a good therapeutic experience is key in making the links which will enable you to process difficult experiences, survive current challenges and know which choices to make from here in.
My work is underpinned by my psychodynamic training which means thinking and looking at how past events may be affecting your current situation. I work in a non-directive way. You will determine the focus, depth and pace of our work together. There are no "exercises" or "homework assignments".
Asking for help and finding the right professional is a daunting prospect so I offer a free initial 30 minute session to determine whether what I offer is what you are looking for.
I work with adults of all ages, over the short, medium or long term.
I can help you explore:
- Troubled or destructive relationship patterns (such as family dynamics, couple dynamics, sibling conflict or dynamics at work)
- Life transitions (such as becoming a parent, relationship breakdown/divorce, menopause, children leaving home, retirement)
- Trauma - past or present (such as bereavement, infertility/pregnancy loss, birth trauma, sexual abuse/assault, domestic abuse, chronic illness, physical injuries or acquired disability)
- Somatic manifestation of distress (such as chronic fatigue, chronic pain, eating distress, self-harm, addiction)
- Existential fears (such as questioning meaning or purpose in life, health anxieties, fear of separation or abandonment, fear of loss or death)
- General feelings of alienation, disconnection, inadequacy, insecurity, self-blame, guilt or shame.
Training, qualifications & experience
The 4 year counselling training I undertook, is accredited by the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) and the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP).
Prior to this, I trained and worked as a mental health social worker in a wide range of settings. I have a combined experience of over 20 years of supporting people from all walks of life through challenging times.
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (4 years)
- Postgraduate Diploma & MA in Social Work [Mental Health Pathway] (2 years)
- Joint Honours Degree in Psychology & Sociology (3 years)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Photos & videos
My standard fee is £40 for a daytime session and £45 for an evening session.
Sessions are 50-minutes in length and generally take place at the same time each week.
Concessions may be available for people on low incomes.
I usually require 48-hours notice for cancellations.
I am a registered member of the BACP and abide by their professional standards and code of ethics.
My consulting room is a quiet and comfortable room in my home in Melksham, which is within easy access of Bradford on Avon, Chippenham and Trowbridge.
As the room is a loft conversion, it requires being able to negotiate two flights of stairs and is therefore not accessible for clients with mobility issues.
I am fully insured and hold enhanced DBS checks for Wiltshire and Somerset.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
The therapy room is on the second floor. Due to the stairs it may not be accessible to anyone with severe mobility issues.
I work Mondays to Fridays. For clients in work, early morning or evening slots are available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|