My name is Andrew, and I am a fully qualified, full time professional counsellor/psychotherapist with a proven track record of helping people work through all kinds of problems. I offer a safe and confidential space where you can feel understood and listened to without judgment while I use my skills to help you make sense of life and its problems.
My core training is integrative, meaning that I draw on a broad range of theoretical approaches, ways of working and types of interventions to assist clients with whatever it is they’re struggling with.
I chose to initially train in an integrated approach because I believe that this allows me the freedom and flexibility required to remain open, responsive and fundamentally informed by the needs of the clients I work with, whilst co-creating a treatment approach with them that is as unique as they are.
I have since trained in other types of therapy and intervention which increase my ability to assist clients in more creative ways and enhance this flexibility. I passionately believe that we are all individual and different, and so it’s important for me as a therapist, that I’m able to work in ways that acknowledge and nurture that difference while ultimately respecting the very essence of what makes us everything we are.
How I can help
I have worked very successfully with hundreds of clients from a wide range of backgrounds. I am highly competent in working with a variety of presenting issues including, but not limited to; anxiety (generalised anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive compulsive), depression and low mood, stress, addiction, grief, self-esteem, relationship issues, abuse, self-harm, dissociative disorders, trauma, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
What to expect in your first session
In the first session we will be mainly running through how we will work together which we call our counselling contract. It an opportunity for you to ask any questions and for me to further explain how I work. I will also request some basic demographics and your GP details in this session. The rest of the session will be you outlining your background and what has brought you to therapy. Feel free to contact me with any queries you may have.
Training, qualifications & experience
Experience and Qualifications
In terms of my therapeutic practice, I am trained to Master’s level integrative therapy, utilising a range of models. I work with an individualised perspective, quickly building an open relationship, supporting an exploration of past events that are affecting the client’s current experiences, behaviours and relationships. I also have extensive experience of CBT (including trauma-focused), person-centred therapy, mindfulness and solution-focused therapy.
Deciding upon a counsellor or psychotherapist is no easy task. In all honesty, much of it depends on personal connection.
However, qualifications and experience do play a part. I have:
- over twenty years’ experience working within the mental health field
- seven years’ leading a counselling service at a leading Occupational Health company
- qualifications in Counselling and Psychotherapy to Master’s level
- in excess of 3500 hours clinical practice
- extensive experience of working with both individuals and organisations
- specialist trauma experience including disassociation and recovery that is regularly called upon by the emergency services
- qualifications and experience as a mediator, having worked with some well-known corporate organisations in the North West
- provided consultative support and counselling to social workers/Teachers and related professions to improve their management of emotionally challenging situations
- led and managed a drug and alcohol service for homeless people in Dublin
- provided wellbeing consultancy to a range of organisations in the private and public sectors
- worked as a facilitator and trainer in the field of wellbeing and mental health
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Consultative support - I have experience of providing this for a range of professionals including teachers, social workers and the emergency services.
- Facilitator and trainer in the field of wellbeing and mental health.
- Accredited Mediator - I have facilitated conflict resolution with a number of organisations.
Concessions offered for
- Often, choosing the right therapist is informed by personal connection. I offer a free 15 minute consultation to discuss your needs and how we might be able to work together.
- One to one counselling or psychotherapy with adults (18+). as well group therapy.
- Long or short term counselling and psychotherapy.
- Face-to-face and working online (video) or over the phone.