Have you been struggling for a while, repeating the same patterns of behaviour, stuck in a job or relationships that seem to make you miserable but feel unable to change things?
I offer you a space in which I am alongside you, so that you can explore some of the difficulties you may be struggling with. I am effective at enabling people to understand and then make the changes which they may need in order to lead a more fulfilling life. We often think we can manage on our own, and we often do for a really long time, but then comes a point when we need to reach out and seek some support
I offer Counselling for a wide range of issues and guarantee you a confidential, safe, non-judgemental space to come and explore with me the concerns and worries that you may have which are preventing you from being able to live your life in the way that you want. This can be short term, if there is a particular area that you want to explore, or longer term psychotherapy if you want to take a deeper exploration of what is troubling you.
As well as my private practice with individuals and Couples, I also have experience running various groups and currently run a Women's Therapeutic group.
I have experience in supporting people of various ages, genders and backgrounds with a wide range of issues. I have worked extensively with those who have experienced trauma, disordered eating, grief, sexual abuse, depression and anxiety, identity and relationship issues. I am experienced in working with those struggling with being at various transitional periods in their lives and helping them find a pathway through this.
For more information about me and how I work please visit my website (link above).
Training, qualifications & experience
I have extensive experience working in a broad range of settings across Sussex:
- Process Group Facilitator - Post-Graduate Humanistic Training Course - Brighton University
- Facilitator - Low Cost anxiety and Depression Group - Brighton therapy Centre.
- Humanistic Counsellor - Brighton Therapy Centre
- NHS Counsellor - Brighton Women's Centre.
- Pre-trial therapist - Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre, Crawley
- Drug & alcohol counsellor - The Brighton Oasis Project
- Counsellor - Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre, Croydon.
- Young people's counsellor - Dialogue Family Services - Brighton.
- Group Facilitator - Young Women's group - Oasis Project.
- Post-Gradulate Diploma in Humanistic Counselling – Brighton University.
- CBT Training with a heart – Adrien Hemmings – Jan 2017
- Heartswork Certificate in Couples Counselling – Steve Richards
- Heartswork Certificate in Group Counselling – Steve Richards.
- Awareness in Bereavement Care: The Foundation Course. Level 2. Ascentis
- Empowerment Model – Rape and sexual abuse Support centre. Feb 2017
- Working at Relational Depth – Mick Cooper. April 2017
- Boarding School Syndrome – Joy Schaverien. CPD. April 2016
- Unlocking the trauma of childhood sexual abuse – Christianne Sanderson. November 2015. CPD
- The Counsellors Toolbox when working with shame. Christianne Sanderson. Oct 2018.
- Introduction to Safeguarding & Child Protection for small Community Groups. March 2013.
- Understanding Autism Spectrum Conditions (Rachel Lowden 2014)
My Professional Membership:
- Registered member of BACP British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
If you are a parent who is concerned about your child, I am happy to discuss counselling options with you. I have extensive experience in working with young people aged 14-25.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Boarding School Syndrome
Free inital telephone consultation.
£60 per individual session.
£75 per couple session.
£25 per Women's group session.
"You have given me what felt like a loving, safe contained space to work through things that have been affecting me for a very long time, as well as the more recent traumatic losses. Your wisdom and your caring have been so important to me and I am very grateful to have had this time and this period of growth."
“During my sessions with Amelia I felt as though I were properly heard and had her full attention. I would leave feeling a sense of understanding, with a fresh perspective on everything that I was going through, having talked in a space free of judgement. For anybody looking for counselling, I would highly recommend Amelia as she has helped me work through and add words to things that were previously so difficult to talk about.”