Suzy Carter BA (Hons), Adv. Dip. Counselling, PG Dip (Trauma), MBACP
Hi - I expect you would like to know a little bit more about me and my way of working ...
I am an experienced, BACP accredited psychotherapeutic counsellor, working with a wide variety of issues, for example: anxiety, depression, low mood and feelings of sadness, low self-esteem, relationship and attachment problems and abuse.
Trauma, coping with illness and the pressures of caring, bereavement and loss are areas in which I specialise, as I have worked with two charitable organisations, supporting carers and the bereaved, for several years.
I also work privately and you can contact me directly for an appointment, without the need for a doctor's referral. A short introductory session may be the best way to help you decide if you would like to work with me.
My clients are of all ages, from 12 years upwards and I would welcome your enquiry, whoever you are and whatever your background.
Anything you say to me would be treated with the utmost confidentiality and respect.
I am a humanistic and integrative counsellor and my work is underpinned by Person-Centred theory. That means our sessions would follow the direction that you choose - not my agenda. I would work alongside you to create a warm, compassionate, honest, non-judgemental and professional relationship in which to explore your concerns and to support your process of self-discovery and change.
I will sometimes suggest using creative or Mindfulness-based activities, if they seem to be relevant and potentially helpful - but the choice is always with you. I will always respect your individuality and treat you as holistically as possible.
Taking the first step into therapy is often the hardest but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to call me or email me through the form on this website,
Training, qualifications & experience
- PG Diploma in Contemporary Trauma Practice - Relational Change/Miriam Taylor
- BA(Hons) Humanistic/Integrative Counselling, 1st – Middlesex University/Peter Symonds College
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling – Alton College
- Foundations of Analytical Psychology - Society of Analytical Psychologists
- NCFE Level 3 Counselling Skills and Theory – Alton College
- NCFE Level 2 Counselling Skills – Alton College
- NCFE Level 2 Mental Health Awareness – Eastleigh College
- Certificate: Attachment - Sir Richard Bowlby/HACP
- Certificate: Emotional Anatomy (trauma) - Tony Buckley
- Certificate: Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction - The Rowans Hospice/Phil Russell
- Certificate: Empathy for Self and Others – Russell Kendell and John Threadgol
- Certificate: Bereavement and Loss in Adults and Children – The Bereavement Counselling Charity
- Certificate: Onsite Intervention Work in the Aftermath of a Traumatic Incident - Jonathon Lake
- Certificate: Mental Health and Safeguarding - Radian
- Certificate: Emergency First Aid at Work - British Red Cross
- Certificate: Level 3 Child Protection Training - NHS
- Workshop: Working with Sand Trays - The Bereavement Counseling Charity
- Workshop: Deep Play and Deep Drama - Dr Sue Jennings/HACP
These trainings have included:
- Trauma therapy
- Person-Centred therapy
- Gestalt and existential therapy
- Transactional analysis
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Creative approaches
- Working with couples and young people
- Working with addictions
- Human psychological development
I am an accredited member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) and also belong to the HACP (Hampshire Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy).
As well as seeing clients privately, I have worked with two local organisations for a number of years – The Princess Royal Trust for Carers in Hampshire and The Bereavement Counselling Charity.
Previously, I worked with the tenant's counselling service provided by Radian (a social housing provider). This work was often with young people from difficult backgrounds, establishing themselves in their first homes and jobs.
My first career was as a clinical physiologist, specialising in cardiology. I re-trained as a counsellor after raising my family.
I am also a qualified reflexologist and passionate about holistic practice and the mind-body connection.
I hold a current (March 2020) enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) certificate.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
£60 per session for individuals
£40 per session for student counsellors
NHS discount available
Counselling sessions are 50 min long and usually take place weekly, for a mutually agreed period.
A short introductory session may help us to decide if we would like to work together. There would be no charge for this meeting.
Free 20min emotional support sessions by telephone available Monday - Friday, 9.30am - 10.30am only, during Covid-19 situation. No booking necessary - first come, first served.
- I offer concessions for low income groups
I undertake regular supervision in accordance with BACP guidelines.
I regularly attend continuing professional development (CPD) conferences, courses and workshops each year, to update and develop my skills.
I have full professional indemnity insurance.
My consulting room offers a quiet, comfortable and private environment, with large windows and a leafy outlook.
The practice is 5 min by car from the A3, on the Hampshire, Surrey, West Sussex borders. It is easily accessible and there is on-site parking.
Evening appointments are occasionally available.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Enquiries: 9.30am - 8pm, Mon to Fri and Sat until 1pm. Appts: Tues - Thurs:11.00am - 8pm. I may not answer immediately if working but do leave a message or email or text. I will reply asap.
Types of client