Suzy Carter MBACP (Accred) Integrative Counsellor
Hello and welcome :)
I am a BACP accredited psychotherapeutic counsellor and saw my first counselling clients back in 2013. Since then, I have worked with people who are experiencing a very wide variety of issues, for example: anxiety, depression, low mood and feelings of sadness, low self-esteem, shame, self-harm, addiction, highly sensitive personalities, relationship and attachment problems, childhood difficulties and abuse.
Specialist training for me has been in working with trauma, bereavement and the use of creative arts in therapy and I have worked as a counsellor with a fire fighters charity, a social housing provider, a bereavement counselling charity, a carer's support group and a family counselling organisation.
You can contact me directly for an appointment - you are assured of a kind and friendly response. A short introductory session may be the best way to help you decide if you would like to work with me - there is no charge for this and no obligation to take things any further.
My clients are of all ages, from 12 years upwards and I would welcome your enquiry, whoever you are and whatever your background.
Anything you say to me would be treated with the utmost confidentiality and respect.
As a humanistic and integrative counsellor, my work is client-led, individually tailored and holistic, whilst incorporating a number of theoretical approaches.
I will work alongside you to create a safe and confidential therapeutic space based on a compassionate, honest and non-judgemental professional relationship - so you can feel free to explore your concerns and start your process of self-discovery and change with confidence.
Taking the first step into therapy is often the hardest but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to call me or email me through the form on this website (please check your junk mail box, if you don't see my reply in your inbox!),
Training, qualifications & experience
- PG Diploma in Contemporary Trauma Practice - Relational Change/Miriam Taylor
- BA(Hons) Humanistic/Integrative Counselling, 1st – Middlesex University/Peter Symonds College
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling – Alton College
- Foundations of Analytical Psychology - Society of Analytical Psychologists
- NCFE Level 3 Counselling Skills and Theory – Alton College
- NCFE Level 2 Counselling Skills – Alton College
- NCFE Level 2 Mental Health Awareness – Eastleigh College
- Certificate: Attachment - Sir Richard Bowlby/HACP
- Certificate: Emotional Anatomy (trauma) - Tony Buckley
- Certificate: Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction - The Rowans Hospice/Phil Russell
- Certificate: Empathy for Self and Others – Russell Kendell and John Threadgold
- Certificate: Bereavement and Loss in Adults and Children – The Bereavement Counselling Charity
- Certificate: Onsite Intervention Work in the Aftermath of a Traumatic Incident - Jonathon Lake
- Certificate: Mental Health and Safeguarding - Radian
- Certificate: Emergency First Aid at Work - British Red Cross
- Certificate: Level 3 Child Protection Training - NHS
- Workshop: Working with Sand Trays - The Bereavement Counseling Charity
- Workshop: Deep Play and Deep Drama - Dr Sue Jennings/HACP
These trainings have included:
- Trauma therapy
- Person-Centred therapy
- Gestalt and existential therapy
- Transactional analysis
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Creative approaches
- Working with couples and young people
- Working with addictions
- Human psychological development
I am an accredited member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) and also belong to the HACP (Hampshire Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy).
As well as seeing clients privately, I have worked as a counsellor for a social housing provider, a carer's support group, a bereavement counselling charity and a family counselling organisation. These roles often involved working with young people.
My first career was as a clinical physiologist, specialising in cardiology. I re-trained as a counsellor after raising my three (now adult) children.
I am also a qualified reflexologist and am passionate about holistic practice and the mind-body connection.
I hold a current (March 2020) enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) certificate.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£60 per session for individuals
£45 per session for counsellors in training and Blue Light card holders, inc NHS
Counselling sessions are 50 min long and usually take place weekly, for a mutually agreed period.
A short introductory session may help us to decide if we would like to work together. There would be no charge for this meeting.
Concessions offered for
I undertake regular supervision in accordance with BACP guidelines.
I regularly attend continuing professional development (CPD) conferences, courses and workshops each year, to update and develop my skills.
I have full professional indemnity insurance.
My consulting room offers a quiet, comfortable and private environment, with large windows and a leafy outlook.
The practice is 5 min by car from the A3, on the Hampshire, Surrey, West Sussex borders. It is easily accessible and there is on-site parking.
Evening appointments are occasionally available.