Dena Marshall MBACP(Accred) Psychotherapist, Adv Dip.TA Psych, Dip.SV, NLP Pract
01726 76913 / 0798 006 1115
Hello and welcome. I am a qualified clinical psychotherapist with over 18 years experience, offering psychotherapy, counselling, crisis intervention, coaching, and supervision, to individuals, couples, and groups. I offer a free initial consultation, creating an opportunity for us to meet each other, ask questions, and decide 'where to go' from there.
Therapeutically I work within the relationship, believing that we all hold the answers to our problems even though we may need some extra help now and again to see us through difficult times. On a content level I will work with my clients to explore their wants and needs, their belief and value systems, helping them to find out what changes they can make to bring balance to their lives, to share psychological theory, strategies, and insights into their unique way of being in the world. On a process level I provide a confidential and safe space for clients to feel 'okay'; to be heard, seen, and feel connected with another, without exposure or shame.
We all have 'good intentions' for every decision we make, for our actions, our thoughts, and for how we feel, and often learning to be aware of ourselves, love, respect, trust, and accept ourselves can make the difference between feeling unhappy and enjoying ourselves and our life. Through awareness, understanding, and changing our underlying patterns of behaving, feeling, and thinking linked with our good intentions, we can achieve life-long positive changes and outcomes without the need for life-long therapy!
I work with many issues, including anxiety, depression, relationship difficulties, sex and sexuality, psychiatric disorders, self-esteem and self-worth, lifestyle and health, phobias etc. However, issues are not people - and I work with the person regardless of the issue they will present with. I often feel privileged and honoured to walk alongside another person in their life journey, if only for a little while.
- Individual psychotherapy
- Couples and relationship counselling
- Group psychotherapy
- Family Counselling
- Professional Supervision
- CPD Training Workshops
- Relaxation / Meditation Groups
- Parenting Groups
- Study Groups
Training, qualifications & experience
I have been practising clinical psychotherapy and counselling in Cornwall since 2000, with a variety of experience spanning over many years in working with adults and children, individually, within groups, and within a residential setting, covering a wide range of issues: examples include past and present physical, sexual and mental abuse, neglect, mental health issues, addictions, anxiety, self-harm, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Autism, Asperger Syndrome, Tourette's Syndrome, physical disability, phobias, mood disorders and depression, eating disorders and personality disorders.
Personal growth and learning is very important, and I attend monthly supervision, from a TSTA (Teaching and Supervising Transactional Analyst), as well as weekly peer supervision. Practicing using BACP and UKCP guidelines, keeping up to date with psychotherapy theory, practice, and progress through reading, studying, workshops, and conferences throughout the year.
I am also a professional artist working in graphite, coloured pencil, and watercolour. I have a dedicated art studio attached to my therapy practice room. Art and psychotherapy often play well together, as art and the expression of self through art, is highly beneficial in healing past and present trauma, alongside resolving issues such as anxiety and depression, and exploring and regulating our emotional self.
As a qualified and experienced martial arts instructor (traditional karate), bodywork is also an element of the therapeutic process. The bringing together of mind, body and spirit (otherwise known as 'the martial way' or 'way of life') promotes harmony, knowledge, integrity, respect, and courage. Talking through your problems is not always effective by itself, and getting up, moving your body, and paying attention to your breathing can be incredibly powerful therapeutically.
- In private practice since 2000.
- Co-Founder of Ongoing Support Psychotherapy, Counselling, Supervision, and Training, since 2001.
- 2001: Advanced Integrative Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy Training.
- 2005: Certified Practitioner in Neuro-Linguistic Programming.
- 2009/2010: Completed a further year of training in Transactional Analysis at the Iron Mill Institute in Exeter, receiving an Advanced Diploma In The Applications Of Integrative And Relational Approaches to Transactional Analytic Psychotherapy.
- 2017: Qualified in Professional Supervision (Diploma)
- Holds a City and Guilds PTTLS Teaching Qualification.
- Currently training towards a Level 5 NCFE Award Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Currently training towards a Psychology degree (hons).
- Currently working towards UKCP membership accreditation.
- Is a BACP (MBACP) Accredited member.
- Have attended various CPD (Continuing Professional Development) workshops.
- Body work
- Trauma and the body
- Music and psychotherapy
- Various workshops on models of theory.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
- Person-centred therapy
- Play therapy
- Psychoanalytic therapy
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Telephone contact between the hours of 9am and 9pm throughout the week.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Supervision is all about 'doing no harm' and that includes client, therapist, employer, and employee.