Morven Fyfe, M.A.(MBACP) working with Childhood Trauma And Relationship Issues
St Andrew's Centre
St Andrew Street
I am a counsellor with a wealth of experience of difficult issues which seem very hard to shake off. Due to several aspects of my own life experience, I deeply understand how depression, anxiety, confusion, or having stressful and angry feelings towards those who are closest to us can make life feel confusing, and hard to bear.
Sometimes seeking help through friends and family can develop into
feeling lost, worried and misunderstood. In contrast, I offer you a warm, safe, confidential space where you can air any issue at all; a safe place to open up, a place free of judgements.
Our first contact is likely to be on the telephone, where you can share your questions or concerns. To help you in your search for the right counsellor for you, I offer a 30 minute face to face session free of charge without obligation. This gives you the time and space to meet me in person. You may choose to go ahead and begin counselling whether it's face to face, on the phone, or through Skype.
Counselling is a commitment, so I will do my best to fit in to your schedule as we establish the times and dates of future sessions as we go forward. An initial number of six sessions works well to help ascertain how long you feel you need counselling for, and we see how we go.
I work mostly with adults of eighteen and over and I am also fully trained to work with children and adolescents, which has enriched my understanding and response in all my client work with parents, couples and families. I use art as a communicative tool, at times employing my art therapy skills In various settings.
It is important to me that the techniques I use are effective, and generalised anxiety and phobias have been shown to respond to EMDR therapy. So if you are having flashbacks to a distressing event or feel overwhelmed by anxiety or a phobia, I can offer EMDR. Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is an integrative psychotherapy approach that has been extensively researched and proven effective for the treatment of trauma.
I am also a qualified clinical supervisor.
Sorry I have no disabled access and no waiting room. Parking is usually no problem and it’s best not to arrive for your appointment too early.
I am able to see clients from any religious orientation or ethnicity, including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. I am professionally qualified to speak English with foreigners so I can use these skills if there are limitations in speaking and understanding English language.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a member British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists, I am on the accredited voluntary register of the BACP and on the UKRCP register (United Kingdom Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists), a member of the EMDR Association and the HCPC (Health and Care Professions Council) as an art psychotherapist.
I began studying humanistic psychology thirty-five years ago. Superficiality was put aside, instead I experienced and learned about deeper feelings that affect how we behave.
- 1985 Certificate in Bodyrebalancing Psychotherapy
My body psychotherapy practice began 30 years ago. I trained the USA and I ran my practice in London until 1992. When the body is included in therapy, a mindful, authentic experience of self emerges. Today neural science confirms how important our bodies are for our sense of connection, our feelings and our identity. I offer this from my practice in Hitchin. See my website at http://www.regenerationbodywork.co.uk/.
Couples and Relationship Work
- 1990 – 1992 Training in Voice Dialogue work with Doctors Hal and Sidra Stone; Relational Dynamics and Bonding Processes. This has been invaluable as a basis for couples work, understanding how relationship works, and what’s going on when it doesn't. http://voicedialogueinternational.com/index.htm
Work with Child Abuse Survivors (and Childhood Trauma)
- 2006 – 2011 Five years as a national support line volunteer for NAPAC, the 'National Association for People Abused in Childhood' http://napac.co.uk/. I received ongoing specialised training and supervision.
- 2008 - 2010 Diploma in Person Centred Counselling at North Hertfordshire College, awarded by the Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body, or the CPCAB.
- 2008 - My book, 'Survivors' Stories, an Enlightening Journey through the Differing Lives of Child Abuse Survivors' was published. The book reveals the complex life situations a survivor faces as an adult. If you would like to buy a copy, you can do so here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survivors-Stories-Enlightening-Journey-Differing/dp/095561970X
- Since 2010 I have been a counsellor member of SACA, the Sexual Abuse Counselling Agency. See http://www.sacaonline.co.uk/
- July 2010 – CPD Workhop -Short Term Therapy and the Person-Centred Approach presented by Lorna Marchant
- Nov. 2010 – CPD Workshop – Anger, Rage and Relationship presented by Sue Parker Hall
- May 2016 - Jan 2017 - EMDR Europe Accredited Training Parts 1 - 3 with EMDR Academy, UK.
I myself suffered from food addiction for twenty years, and have been free from this since 1993.
- I worked as a counsellor and behaviour breakthrough teacher for Nutrisystem from 1988 - 1990.
- 2008 - 2010 – Understanding your Eating Modules Training with Professor Julia Buckroyd. See http://www.understandingyoureating.co.uk/.
- Nov. 2015 'Piece by Piece Recovery' - working with obesity, looking at food addiction and binge eating disorder. Presented by Rochelle Craig MSc.
Couples and Relationship Work (contd)
Through my own experience of life as a single parent and nine years voluntary work with single parents, I have gained in depth experience with those who are going through the anxiety of separation, divorce or attempting reconciliation. Wherever possible I sustain the intent to keep couples and families together. Above, the Relational Dynamics training from 1990 - 1992 was foundational. Four recent trainings below are noteworthy, as well as ongoing specialised supervision for couples work.
- 2013 Training - Robbins Madanes Ultimate Relationship Programme, covering the six basic human needs and how they operate in relationship.
- May 2013 - CPD - Counselling with a Sexual Focus (HertsBeds CPD)
- 10th June and 27th July 2013 - CPD - Counselling Tips and Tools with Couples
- December 2013, March 2014, April 2015 Family Constellation Workshops with Kim Goode
2011 - 2014 M.A. in Art Psychotherapy awarded with a commendation by the University of Hertfordshire. This trained me to facilitate the use art materials primarily from a psychodynamic and integrative perspective when words are not enough. My M.A. brought me into supervised clinical work with:
- Children in a primary school setting with Place2Be
- Adults suffering from depression, bipolar behaviours and personality disorder in the NHS
- Adolescents in a specialist centre for Youth in London
- Clinical work with adults and adolescents employed a mentalisation model.
- July 2013 International Centre for Research in the Art Therapies (ICRA), a conference about evidence based practice in the arts therapies
- Years 2012, 2013 and 2014; ‘Neuroscience, Attachment and Creativity’ conference at the Annu
- al British Attachment and the Arts Conference; British Association of Art Therapists.
Continual Professional Development
- 2013 - I set up the 'Golden Thimble' continual professional development programme which runs twice a year. This enables professionals to feel supported in their work with child abuse survivors
Work with Children
- February 2015 until now, art psychotherapist with infants and children ageing from 3 - 11 at Hillborough Provision Outreach Support, Luton.
- March 2015 and January 2016; Safeguarding Training for Children.
- May 2015 Team Teach - a training of Positive Handling Strategies towards Children within a Holistic Framework
- November 2015; Radicalisation Training
- January 2016: CATT - Children's Accelerated Trauma Treatment held at the British Association of Art Therapists.
- Feburary 2016: FGM Training
- February 2016: Using Play Based Techniques with Dr Melanie Adkins (Senior Educational Psychologist and Play Therapist)
- April 2016: Learn the Child with Brian Roberts, course by Kate Cairns Associates.
- July 2016 EMDR Part One Child Training with Dr Kamala-Maria Mueller.
- May 2017 EMDR Level 2 with Children and Adolescents with Dr Joanne Morris Smith
- July 2017 MASTERCLASS: EMDR & Family Therapy: An Integrated Approach to the Treatment of Trauma.
Supervision is available for students and qualified clinicians in counselling and art psychotherapy.
- Oct 2014 - August 2015 Certificate in Relational Supervision with Laurence Hegan at the Cambridge Counselling Service
Personal Daily Practice
For the last thirty-five years meditation, mindfulness, spirituality and healing have their relevance in my day to day, ordinary living. I also keep physically fit, and understand body and mind as integrated parts of ongoing development.This helps me provide a fuller, better presence in session.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Currently starting the 'Three Steps to Freedom' programme for Child Abuse Survivors. This is a group programme skilfully run by two therapists, and it thrives on mutual support and insight. This is a six month commitment which you attend weekly. New groups are starting up continually so if you are interested, please get in touch to join the waiting list for the next one.
I am a counsellor member of SACA, the Sexual Abuse Counselling Agency. See http://www.sacaonline.co.uk/
I have a lot of success working with parents to improve parenting skills. Happier families are a possibility through a skills base that I have adapted and developed.
For groups of 6 or more people, I run various psycho educational groups. These can be life transforming.
Photos & videos
Sessions are a sixty minute hour. I need 24 hours notice of cancellation - re-booking for later in the week may mitigate the loss of the fee. I offer concessionary fees to a limited number of clients depending on circumstances.
Individuals for Counselling Individuals for Art Therapy
£40 per hour in the daytime £45 per hour in the daytime
£45 per hour in the evening £50 per hour in the evening
£45 per hour in the daytime £40 per hour in the daytime
£50 per hour in the evening £45 per hour in the evening
EMDR Therapy Children
£50 per hour, and £75 for a £50 per hour
90 minute session.
Supervision for students and professional counsellors and psychotherapists
£40 per hour in the daytime
£50 per hour in the evening
£75 per month for the 'Three Steps to Freedom' Programme for Child Abuse Survivors - please ask to join the waiting list.
I welcome working with students studying certificate, diploma, degree or post graduate qualifications in counselling or art psychotherapy.
Relational issues are very key in my work as people can grow, hide, be damaged or be traumatised in relationship. Being human, it's quite natural to find that relational problems make us aware of our pain and our limits; whether that be at home or at work, in whatever role we have with other people or children.
In session, we only ever explore in a way that feels comfortable for you. I'd like to assure you that there is no pressure for you to delve into your childhood; you can safely explore your thoughts and feelings within the contexts that matter to you.
I have lived with Aspergers Syndrome and the difficulties of either having, or being in relationship with someone with AS. An inability to understand feelings can bring about feelings of anger, develop stress, and gradually engender a state of emotional isolation in relationship. I can bring in realistic coping strategies, as through greater knowledge and adaptation it's possible to enjoy relating again.
As a Whole
My practice embraces the experience of life manyfold, covering the inner child self, self as a parent, self as partner, addiction, food addiction and the body, the hurt and damaged self, abuse, abuse in childhood, the healing self in recovery, sense of place in family (or group), the spiritual self, the adult self taking its place in the world and lastly, ongoing personal growth and contribution.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Opening hours: Flexible hours - daytime and evenings available; consultation by appointment
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|