May Hermans, MA integrative psychotherapist (UKCP Reg.)
I am a senior psychotherapist and work for Mind, Islington and privately at Brookfield Park Psychotherapy Practice in NW5. The latter practice is situated in a private house where several therapists work.
I believe that no child is born bad, sad or angry and that therapy works best in a reparative and reflective relationship. Since 1986 I have been involved in psychotherapy and started my training in Biodynamic Psychotherapy in 1989. My approach is holistic and each person is met as an unique individual who has their unique context, both culturally and psychological.
HOW I WORK
My aim is to provide first and foremost a safe and confidential environment in which a trusting and good relationship can develop. In our work together I will help you to explore the (underlying) issues that you struggle with, and which could be based on childhood experiences and withholds you from experiencing more fulfilling relationships and a more creative life.
I work integrative which means I make use of different modules and use these if and when appropriate as it arises in any given moment.
- Gestalt's immediate 'here-and-now' approach brings for instance that what is in the foreground to our attention so that the client, with the help of the therapist can explore existing behavioural patterns.
- The Analytical approach helps to connect and understand current dysfunctional behavioural patterns which are formed in childhood and which might not be helpful anymore. Old childhood wounds can then be healed and choice becomes a possibility.
- Trans-actional Analysis helps to unpick confusing emotional states and ways of relating, and working with the arts creates a space in which the unconscious and the unspoken words can be released, thus be recognised and acknowledged and effectively processed.
- If and when appropriate I might introduce some CBT methods which, combined with Mindfulness awareness (MBCT), provides the opportunity to connect with our true self.
WHAT TO EXPECT IN YOUR FIRST SESSION
I appreciate it might not be easy to see a therapist for the first time. For some it might be a very courageous step to ask for help and support. I offer clients a safe, confidential and professional environment in which you can explore and come to understand yourself- this can then bring about choice and a change in your live.
I suggest we make an appointment for an initial session- this gives us the opportunity to discuss the issues that bring you to therapy. We can then also get a feel for each other and decide together how to proceed from there.
PRACTICAL DETAILS ABOUT MY PRACTICE
Brookfield Park Psychotherapy Practice
London, NW5 1ER
Highgate- Kentish Town- Tufnell Park- Camden- Archway- Muswill Hill- Crouch End- South End Green- Hampstead- Primrose Hill- Islington- Highbury- Finsbury- Finchley- West End.
M: 07 92982 4335
Nearest tube Stations (Northern Line):
- Kentish Town (take bus 88 on the other side of the road. It will take you 5 to 10 minutes to get to Parliament Hill stop, depending on the traffic. Walking would take 10/15 minutes)
- Tufnell Park (Brookfield Park, NW5 which is a 10 minutes' walk from the tubestation).
- Archway Station
- 88- 214- C11- C4-135
- Gospel Oak Station- from there it is a short walk through the park (Hampstead Heath), to 24 Brookfield Park, NW5
- Kentish Town
- South End Green/Hampstead
- There is free parking except on weekdays from 10-12 am. (Parking vouchers are available)
Training, qualifications & experience
I am involved with psychotherapy since 1986.
- MA Integrative Arts Psychotherapy, (UKCP Reg). 2007
- BA History of Art (UCL- 2.1)
- Bio Dynamic Massage-and Psychotherapy Training- Chiron (1989-1993)
- Diploma in The Therapeutic and Educational Application of The Arts
- Diploma in Counselling Skills
- Mindfulness Based Retreats (1988- and ongoing. ..)
- Hoffman Process (1992)
- Sedona Method (2005-2007-2015)
- EMDR- level 1
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
My fee is 70,- pounds (This includes the first session), and each session last 50 minutes.
I have some places available for low cost therapy and for students in training (£65,-).
I see clients on a weekly basis - mostly on an ongoing basis although I also work sort-term (25- 35 sessions). This depends on what the client wants and also what might be most beneficial for the client. We can always evaluate your process from time to time.
Concessions offered for
I hope this information has been helpfull. If you have any questions I am of course happy to answer these- either by phone or email. You can reach me on the following phone no's - see below, or send me an email and I will respond asap.
I look forward to hearing from you.
May Hermans- MA Integrative Psychotherapist, UKCP Reg.
(United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy).
M: 07 92982 4335