May Hermans, MA integrative psychotherapist (UKCP Reg.)
I am a senior psychotherapist and work for Mind, Islington and privately at Brookfield Park Psychotherapy Practice in NW5. The latter practice is situated in a private house where several therapists work.
I believe that no child is born bad, sad or angry and that therapy works best in a reparative and reflective relationship. Since 1986 I have been involved in psychotherapy and started my training in Biodynamic Psychotherapy in 1989. My approach is holistic and each person is met as an unique individual who has their unique context, both culturally and psychological.
HOW I WORK
My aim is to provide first and foremost a safe and confidential environment in which a trusting and good relationship can develop. In our work together I will help you to explore the (underlying) issues that you struggle with, and which could be based on childhood experiences and withholds you from experiencing more fulfilling relationships and a more creative life.
I work integrative which means I make use of different modules and use these if and when appropriate as it arises in any given moment.
- Gestalt's immediate 'here-and-now' approach brings for instance that what is in the foreground to our attention so that the client, with the help of the therapist can explore existing behavioural patterns.
- The Analytical approach helps to connect and understand current dysfunctional behavioural patterns which are formed in childhood and which might not be helpful anymore. Old childhood wounds can then be healed and choice becomes a possibility.
- Transactional Analysis helps to unpick confusing emotional states and ways of relating, and working with the arts creates a space in which the unconscious and the unspoken words can be released, thus be recognized and acknowledged and effectively processed.
- If and when appropriate I might introduce some CBT methods which, combined with Mindfulness awareness (MBCT), provides the opportunity to connect with our true self.
WHAT TO EXPECT IN YOUR FIRST SESSION
I suggest we make an appointment for an initial session- this gives us the opportunity to discuss the issues that bring you to therapy. We can then also get a feel for each other and decide together how to proceed from there.
PRACTICAL DETAILS ABOUT MY PRACTICE
Brookfield Park Psychotherapy Practice
24 Brookfield Park
London, NW5 1ER
Highgate- Kentish Town- Tufnell Park- Camden- Archway- Muswill Hill- Crough End- South End Green- Hampstead- Primrose Hill- Islington- Highbury- Finsbury- Finchley- West End.
Tel: 0207 284 0816
M: 07 92982 4335
Nearest tube Stations (Northern Line):
- Kentish Town (take the bus C2 on the other side of the road. It will take you 5 to 10 minutes to get to Parliament Hill stop, depending on the traffic. Walking would take 10/15 minutes)
- Tufnell Park (google Brookfield Park, NW5 which is a 10 minutes' walk from the tubestation- sorry, this tube station is currently closed for renovation).
- Archway Station
- 88- 214- C11- C4-135
- Gospel Oak Station- from there it is a short walk through the park (Hampstead Heath), to 24 Brookfield Park, NW5
- Kentish Town
- South End Green/Hampstead
- There is free parking except on weekdays from 10-12 am. (Parking vouchers are available)
Training, qualifications & experience
I am involved with psychotherapy since 1986.
- MA Integrative Arts Psychotherapy, (UKCP Reg). 2007
- BA History of Art (UCL- 2.1)
- Bio Dynamic Massage-and Psychotherapy Training- Chiron (1989-1993)
- Diploma in The Therapeutic and Educational Application of The Arts
- Diploma in Counselling Skills
- Mindfulness Based Retreats (1988- and ongoing. ..)
- Hoffman Process (1992)
- Sedona Method (2005-2007-2015)
- EMDR- level 1
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
- Interpersonal therapy
- Person-centred therapy
- Play therapy
- Psychoanalytical and psychodynamic
Photos & videos
My fee is 70,- pounds (This includes the first session), and each session last 50 minutes.
I have some places available for low cost therapy and for students in training (£55-£60).
I see clients on a weekly basis - mostly on an ongoing basis although I also work sort-term (25- 35 sessions). This depends on what the client wants and also what might be most beneficial for the client. We can always evaluate your process from time to time.
I hope this information has been helpfull. If you have any questions I am of course happy to answer these- either by phone or email. You can reach me on the following phone no's - see below, or send me an email and I will respond asap.
I look forward to hearing from you.
May Hermans- MA Integrative Psychotherapist, UKCP Reg.
(United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy).
Tel: 0207 284 0816
M: 07 92982 4335
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays to Fridays 9.00 am to 8.00 pm Saturdays 9.00 am to 12.00 pm
Types of client