Louise (Lou) Kemp MBACP Accred UKRCP
During this period of Covid restrictions, I am offering existing and former clients online video sessions by Whatsapp, Facetime or Zoom. If you are looking to start online counselling now, please contact me to discuss whether it could be appropriate for your needs. Have a look at my website where you’ll find recent testimonials . I hope reading them, you’ll be reassured that having Counselling ( online or face to face), can be profoundly life changing.
I am an experienced accredited counsellor of adults and young people and work both short and long term depending on what issues you want to look at and what suits your needs.
I am also a practitioner of EMI ( Eye Movement Integration) which can help to reduce the impact of trauma memory. Please see my website for more information.
Some people can find making that first contact with a counsellor a daunting experience. It can feel like a step into the unknown and understandably it isn't easy to trust a stranger with your innermost feelings. I have given examples of some of the comments previous clients have made at the end of their counselling with me, under the "any further information" section below. I hope this gives you an impression of who you can expect to meet if you work with me.
I am happy to have an initial free telephone or email consultation.
I offer weekly 1hour sessions
Training, qualifications & experience
I have trained as an Integrative Counsellor using Person Centred and Psychodynamic theory to underpin the focus of my work. Fundementally that means that the work is led by what you bring to the sessions, we will explore together what has brought you to this point and how to move on to a place you feel more peace and control. Gaining understanding of how past experiences influence our thoughts ,feelings and behaviour today can lead to healing and change.
I update my training on a regular basis and integrate that continuous learning in my day to day practice, according to the unique needs of each client I work with. Those skills include the use of other models such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, art therapy, inner child work and EMI ( eye movement integration).
EMI which is a neuro-therapy which uses specific eye movements to integrate trauma memory from the short term memory where it has stayed ( which is why it can be recalled as if it happened yesterday),into the long term memory where it can be recalled but not with the intensity of the trauma experience .The result does not extinguish the memory of what happened but it does strip off the emotional charge that was causing all the problems.Removing the affects of trauma then allows an ability to think differently , generally in a more open way about the present and the future. It allows positive change.
It can be used as a stand alone method to help a specific trauma memory or integrated within the psychotherapy if the issues are more complex.If you look at my website, you'll find some very helpful testimony from one client who has benefited greatly from EMI and Psychotherapy.
Prior to qualifying as a Counsellor, I spent many years giving support to bereaved parents, and facilitated group bereavment work.
In addition to my counselling work, I have also worked in a role which gave support to older people in my community and to those affected by cancer . This has helped me greatly in my understanding of the various problems that we can all face as we get older and in the specific issues that can arise dealing with a diagnosis, and living with a life threatening illness.
I have a Diploma in Integrative Therapeutic Counselling ,am Accredited with The British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) and am registered with The BACP register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Trauma and PTSD
Stillbirth,miscarriage and other pregnancy related difficulties and losses
Chronic and acute long term health issues including cancer.
Concessions offered for
I am happy to answer any initial queries you may have and to discuss the reasons you are looking for therapy by phone or email at no cost. If I cannot help you I will try to assist in finding you the support you need (with your agreement).
£75 Initial 90 minute assessment
£50 Individual weekly 60 minute therapy session.
EMI sessions need a minimum of 90 minutes and so are charged pro rata at £50 per hour
Insurance and EAP funded counselling is £54 per hour. Admin required will be included in the fee unless otherwise agreed.
Registered with Aviva, AIG ,Cigna,and WPA. If you require me to register with an alternative insurer, I will register where feasible.
I am open to discussing a reduction in my fees for a limited number of clients.
Full payment is required in advance for ALL booked sessions including missed appointments.
Monday-Friday am and pm
Here is what some clients have said at the end of their counselling with me;
- “After meeting Louise I felt that I had really made the right decision. I initially started my counselling having face to face sessions but after a couple of sessions Covid hit! Due to restrictions being implemented I decided to continue my counselling by Zoom meetings but initially had some reservations as to how that would feel. The good news is that it went really, really well and felt no different to being in the same room with Lou. I am not sure if the was the freedom to say exactly how I felt without judgement or interruption but Lou really made me feel safe and I could say whatever I needed to say.”
- "I don’t think I expressed to you how grateful I am for your help! I’ve never felt this mentally strong in my life! I still do have issues that I need to work through but you have helped me no end to get my confidence back and realised my self worth! "
- "I cannot recommend Lou highly enough; she really did save my life"
- "Thank you so much for your support and help in out number sessions.They truly were a lifesaver for me. THANK YOU!"
- My hope and objective is that you become able to see yourself as a person with power and freedom to change what you might have until now considered to be "unchangeable". So many of my clients have found that the healing they have sought has come from feeling truly accepted for who they really are, not who they feel they "should" be. To be really listened to, genuinely accepted and not judged for your thoughts or actions, is a rare experience and one I will strive to give you as your counsellor. My work is always led by you and what you are bringing to your counselling. You will never be asked to explore any issue that feels unsafe or that you are not ready to look at.