Louise (Lou) Kemp MBACP Accred UKRCP
I am an experienced accredited counsellor of adults and young people and work both short and long term depending on what issues you want to look at and what suits your needs.
I am also a practitioner of EMI ( Eye Movement Integration) which can help to reduce the impact of trauma memory. Please see my website for more information. I work from Churchdown, and am based at Churchdown Osteopaths . There is easy access from Gloucester, Cheltenham ,Cirencester and the Forest of Dean.
Some people can find making that first contact with a counsellor a daunting experience. It can feel like a step into the unknown and understandably it isn't easy to trust a stranger with your innermost feelings. I have given examples of some of the comments previous clients have made at the end of their counselling with me, under the "any further information" section below. I hope this gives you an impression of who you can expect to meet if you work with me.
I am happy to have an initial free telephone or email consultation.
I offer weekly 1hour sessions
Training, qualifications & experience
I have trained as an Integrative Counsellor using Person Centred and Psychodynamic theory to underpin the focus of my work. Fundementally that means that the work is led by what you bring to the sessions, we will explore together what has brought you to this point and how to move on to a place you feel more peace and control. Gaining understanding of how past experiences influence our thoughts ,feelings and behaviour today can lead to healing and change.
I update my training on a regular basis and integrate that continuous learning in my day to day practice, according to the unique needs of each client I work with. Those skills include the use of other models such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, art therapy, inner child work and EMI ( eye movement integration).E
EMI which is a neuro-therapy which uses specific eye movements to integrate trauma memory from the short term memory where it has stayed ( which is why it can be recalled as if it happened yesterday),into the long term memory where it can be recalled but not with the intensity of the trauma experience .The result does not extinguish the memory of what happened but it does strip off the emotional charge that was causing all the problems.Removing the affects of trauma then allows an ability to think differently , generally in a more open way about the present and the future. It allows positive change.
It can be used as a stand alone method to help a specific trauma memory or integrated within the psychotherapy if the issues are more complex.If you look at my website, you'll find some very helpful testimony from one client who has benefited greatly from EMI and Psychotherapy.
Prior to qualifying as a Counsellor, I spent many years giving support to bereaved parents, and facilitated group bereavment work.
In addition to my counselling work, I have also worked in a role which gave support to older people in my community and to those affected by cancer . This has helped me greatly in my understanding of the various problems that we can all face as we get older and in the specific issues that can arise dealing with a diagnosis, and living with a life threatening illness.
I have a Diploma in Integrative Therapeutic Counselling ,am Accredited with The British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) and am registered with The BACP register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Trauma and PTSD
Stillbirth,miscarriage and other pregnancy related difficulties and losses
Chronic and acute long term health issues including cancer.
I am happy to answer any initial queries you may have and to discuss the reasons you are looking for therapy by phone or email at no cost. If I cannot help you I will try to assist in finding you the support you need (with your agreement).
£66 Initial 90 minute assessment
£44 Individual weekly 60 minute therapy session.
EMI sessions need a minimum of 90 minutes and so are charged pro rata at £44 per hour
Insurance and EAP funded counselling is £50 per hour. Admin required will be included in the fee unless otherwise agreed.
Registered with Aviva, AIG ,Cigna,and WPA. If you require me to register with an alternative insurer, I will register where feasible.
I am open to discussing a reduction in my fees for a limited number of clients.
Full payment is required in advance for ALL booked sessions including missed appointments.
Payments can be made by credit card at Churchdown Osteopaths*, or by online bank payments.
* 01452 714511
Notice of fee increase
As of 01/02/2020 : self funded hourly sessions will be charged at £50 per hour.
Insurance and EPA £54 per hour.
Here is what some clients have said at the end of their counselling with me;
- "I don’t think I expressed to you how grateful I am for your help! I’ve never felt this mentally strong in my life! I still do have issues that I need to work through but you have helped me no end to get my confidence back and realised my self worth! "
- "I cannot recommend Lou highly enough; she really did save my life"
- "Thank you so much for your support and help in out number sessions.They truly were a lifesaver for me. THANK YOU!"
- "Apart from ....... you are the only other person I have ever trusted"
- “Thank you for being by my side and for making me feel that what I said and felt was OK”
- “Thank you for all your hard work, warmth and comfort”
- “thank you for never judging and always understanding”
- My hope and objective is that you become able to see yourself as a person with power and freedom to change what you might have until now considered to be "unchangeable". So many of my clients have found that the healing they have sought has come from feeling truly accepted for who they really are, not who they feel they "should" be. To be really listened to, genuinely accepted and not judged for your thoughts or actions, is a rare experience and one I will strive to give you as your counsellor. My work is always led by you and what you are bringing to your counselling. You will never be asked to explore any issue that feels unsafe or that you are not ready to look at.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday-Friday am and pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|