Hello, I'm Linda and I manage Rainbow Counselling. I have an office in Quaker's Yard.
During the COVID19 difficulties, I am primarily offering telephone counselling although I can offer Facetime and Zoom for online counselling
I specialise in working with children and young people aged 5 to 25 - I also work with adults. I offer family mediation - a safe space for families to talk and resolve conflicts and tensions amongst family members of all ages. I am competent in working alongside children and young people with additional learning needs and ASD. I also accept Employee Assistance referrals. Bereavement and anxiety are two areas I can offer specific support.
My passion is to empower children and young people who need a safe space to talk and be listened to without interruption and without being judged.
I am competent in working with attachment, trauma (PTSD), child sexual abuse, child bereavement and challenging behaviour in school/home and many other areas affecting emotional well being. I use a wide variety of tools and techniques to allow the client opportunity and freedom to explore their feelings and emotions. This may include use of various toys, games, arts and crafts, puppets, sand play, books or to just sit back on a comfy sofa, relax and talk.
I understand that counselling can seem very scary and intimidating, but I offer a safe space in my comfy counselling room where you can talk in complete confidence about your feelings and emotions. I have been a client myself and understand how scary counselling can seem - but I also discovered how helpful talking about my feelings and emotions can be in changing my outlook on life.
I work with a person centred approach - your needs are paramount. I will always be respectful of your choices - I will not direct you or give advice. We will explore the pros and cons of the choices you have. I only work with clients who want to attend therapy - you have the choice to attend or not - within reason.
I strongly believe in the BACP ethical standard of allowing you complete autonomy - irrespective of your age. For children of primary school age, I will require written parental consent - completed during the assessment session.
If you are a concerned parent of a child or young person, please contact me with any questions. I know it can be a very anxious time when a child or young person is distressed, I would always encourage you to attend the assessment session with your child/young person. Hopefully this will alleviate your own anxiety about what to expect with the counselling process.
Evaluations from previous clients
* (ASD young adult) Made me accept myself and be proud of who I am. Helped with relationship issues between family and friends, helped with weight issues and eating s=disorder. Helped overcome and understand life situations, diagnosis etc.
* (Young person 13) It's made me a lot happier since I first came here.When I was first here I felt angry and it's made me a lot better. Parent: Rainbow Counselling has helped my son to deal with his feelings and it has helped to get our smiling happy boy back. He now has coping strategies and feels a little more comfortable speaking to family members when he needs to. Cannot thank Linda enough for everything she's done.
* (Child 6) Made me feel happier. Parent: I came to Linda after seeing a number of professionals (doctors, teachers, school nurses) who told me I was making a fuss over nothing. My daughter wasn't happy and I couldn't work out why. Linda worked with my daughter and me and as result we made simple changes. It has been the best money I have ever spent.
* (Adult) I am a completely different person to the one I was six months ago. I am very happy with the help I have had to overcome my past traumas and problems
* (Employee Assistance referral) I feel the counselling has helped me manage my thoughts and feelings. It's given me confidence and coping strategies. I have been able to offload problems that have been very deep within me and now I feel cleansed and that I can tackle life once again.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have extensive experience of working with children and young people aged 5 to 25 over many years. I have over 1000 hours of counselling children and young people. I have worked in a nursery, managed two Playgroups and been an LSA for several years in a high school. I have extensive experience of working with children and young people in various capacities since 1986. I am co-founder of The Almond Tree - a registered charity offering children and young people counselling provision.
Post Graduate Diploma Counselling Children and Young People (level 7)
BA (Hons) Early Years
Counselling Diploma (level 4)
Counselling Skills Certificate (level 2)
Safeguarding Level 3
Working with Suicidal Teens & Self Harm
Working with Families
Working with Teens
Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse
Talking to Young People about Substance Misuse
Bullying and Cyber Bullying
Using Art in Counselling
Mental Health Awareness
First Aid level 2
Strengthening Families Facilitator
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
My fees are £40 per session. The number of sessions can be negotiated - you only pay for the number of sessions you need.
Days and times are negotiable, including evenings