Juliette Medder, Adv. Diploma in Counselling, Registered Member of BACP
The Foot Clinic
300B Torquay Road
01803 906731 / 07923 894499
Do you sometimes feel that anxiety or constant worrying rules your life?
Or you feel low and sad no matter what you may try to do to change how you feel?
Or you find that relationships often start well, but then become complicated with emotions connected to ex-partners or past family issues?
The questions and thoughts can go round and round in our heads with seemingly no solution or conclusion, which can be frustrating and draining and only contributes to the general unease and tension.
You can end up losing interest in activities you used to enjoy, feeling less good about yourself, having less energy and feeling less able to do things, having difficulties with sleeping or eating, or problems at work or in relationships.
Sometimes just having a sounding board can be enough to ease some of the tension and confusion and help to find new ways forward, and that talking to an empathetic but objective professional counsellor can help to make sense of things.
However, having the right counsellor is generally accepted to being really key to the counselling being effective.
Taking that first step to approach a counsellor can be tricky so I offer a first half-hour session free of charge (with no obligation to continue) to give you the chance to:
- see if I could be the right counsellor for you, someone who you feel is competent and safe and comfortable to work with,
- give a brief personal history, or outline the nub of a particular problem, or state your goals and hopes from therapy.
If you feel that counselling with me could be beneficial, we can then discuss and agree on how we will work together and set up the next session. If not, there is no obligation to continue.
People come with a range of issues including trauma, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and very frequently, past family or childhood issues and relationship problems or break-ups that are hard to recover from.
My work is rooted in compassionate, attentive listening but having trained as a humanistic, integrative counsellor, incorporates elements of Gestalt, CBT, NLP and on occasion, the use of clay, drawing and painting and Sand Tray therapy. Some clients also find simple Mindfulness exercises can be very beneficial.
My intention is to provide an environment where you feel wholly heard, valued and respected and to support you in seeking your own solutions, by exploring the present to get a sense of what is happening for you consciously, with the option of also working with more hidden issues to examine patterns and unresolved, past conflicts. But whatever pace or depth you feel comfortable with, it is always you in the driving seat.
As a fully qualified professional counsellor with a warm and empathetic nature, I offer a well-held and confidential space in which we can explore the issues that are concerning you.
I see being a counsellor as a way of accompanying people as they journey through their internal landscapes, so my intention is to offer a down-to-earth and friendly approach but also be compassionately challenging if looked-for.
Having had to personally navigate some tricky landscapes myself, and having been extremely lucky to have found great counsellors, I really know the value of good counselling.
"I found Juliette to be an exceptionally good listener with a highly focussed ability to nudge people in the right direction, allowing release and thus healing to occur." (Charlie)
I also offer
- Drawing or Painting as a Therapeutic Tool
- Sand Tray Therapy
- Clay work
Drawing or Painting as a Therapeutic Tool:
I have found this method a wonderfully freeing way to express thoughts, feelings and emotions by using pastels, crayons or paint to make simple depictions, i.e. stick people, symbolic representations, blobs, daubs or squiggles.
Once drawn, I gently invite you to reflect on what is on the paper and together we may explore the relevance and significance, sometimes going into great depth and leading to quite startling revelations, healing and growth.
Depicting known or unconscious, half-understood thoughts and feelings on paper, making them visible and thus more concrete, can be like a partial exorcism of the confused feelings; actually seeing them can often bring about increased clarity and understanding.
Sand Tray Therapy:
This is a form of expressive therapy similar to incorporating drawing exercises into counselling sessions, but instead of drawing a picture, one builds up a picture in the sand using miniatures of everyday objects. These miniatures of say, people, animals, buildings, plants etc, are selected as a conscious or unconscious representation of aspects of one's life, mind or emotional state and together with the arrangement of the sand, provide a visual, three-dimensional world corresponding to one's internal world.
The scenes created usually bring about welcome clarity and understanding, perhaps signposting ways to make changes as well as helping to release old patterns and blocked, painful emotions.
Face-to-face sessions are available in Totnes and Paignton as well as Kingskerswell and Newton Abbot and you can contact me on 07923 894499 or 01803 906731 or email me via email@example.com.
I also do counselling sessions via Skype or phone.
Visit my website at www.juliettemedder.co.uk or click on the relevant buttons at the top of the page.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Humanistic Counselling, The Dartmoor Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy, Newton Abbot
- Certificate in Sand Tray Therapy, Safe Space for Counselling, Newton Abbot
- Foundation Certificate in Art Therapy,Insider Art, Exeter
- Certificate in Practical Applications of Art in Health, Insider Art, Exeter
- Sexual Abuse Awareness Training, The Dartmoor Centre, Newton Abbot
- Certificate in Trauma, Dissociation and Recovery, PODS, Exeter
- Child Sexual Abuse - Hope for Healing, PODS, Bristol
- Counsellor at the The Totnes Natural Health Centre, Totnes
- I run occasional day workshops using paint as a medium for therapeutic exploration or expression.
- Co-facilitated a therapeutic drawing class for recovering addicts at Channings' Wood prison
- Member of The British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists, working within their ethical framework for Good Practice and Psychotherapy.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Counselling sessions are available Monday to Friday and the cost of a 60 minute session is £40.
There are a certain number of sessions available at a concessionary rate.
Coming for a free, half-hour introductory session is a good idea to find out if and how we could work together.
This first session is useful in that:
- it gives us the chance to meet each other and get a sense of whether we will both be comfortable working together;
- it is time for you to give a brief potted history, or to outline the nub of a particular problem, or to state what you would like to get from therapy;
- we can then jointly decide whether it is something we can work together with;
- we can make sure that you are can be offered the most appropriate support.
If we both feel that counselling will be beneficial and you wish to continue, we can then set up the next session.
Both long and short-term counselling are possible.
I have practice rooms just outside Newton Abbot as well as in Paignton and Totnes.
I work some of the bank holidays.
I also work via Skype or phone.
I am very happy for you to contact me by phone or email to discuss whether counselling could be beneficial for you, or visit my website at www.juliettemedder.co.uk for more information.
(You can click on the buttons at the top of the page.)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Counselling sessions are available daytimes Monday to Friday, and some evenings.
Types of client