Henrietta Lang BACP specialist in low self esteem and anxiety
Are you exhausted by the effort it takes to manage your feelings? Do you want to feel safe? Does anxiety drive a wedge between you and the people you care about? Living with low self esteem and anxiety can be a horrible and lonely way to live.
Whether you are struggling with anxiety, depression, low self esteem, panic disorders or relationship problems, there is good news.
Research has shown that a good relationship with a counsellor/therapist can really help. Just having someone who understands what it's like to live in your head really helps. And if you are committed to change and you have a good relationship with your therapist, a happier life is possible.
I know this from my own experience. I haven't forgotten what it's like to feel like a crazy person, or how terrified I was when meeting a counsellor for the first time. Working on myself with support has changed my life. Now I work with people from all walks of life to feel good about themselves and live happier lives.
How can I help?
We will be working with a three pronged approach.
Firstly, we need to understand you and where the problem started.
We will be exploring questions like, what's it like to be you? We know what anxiety means but what does anxiety feel like to you? Where in your body do you feel it? Where did this anxiety/low mood/depression start?
Secondly we need to understand the change your looking for. What is it you want to feel? What are your goals? What is it you want to feel or experience as a result of therapy? Don't worry if that's not clear right now, it will emerge as we work together. But having identified what you're looking for, we can check in and make sure that our work together is serving you.
Thirdly. What helps? How can we, together empower you to reach your goals? What techniques and practises help you manage your feelings and put you back in control? We will investigate what works for you both in the therapy room and outside in your life. For example, simple mindfulness or breathing practices you can use during the day when feelings arise. We might try drawing or visualisation in the session to understand better what's going on for you. But we only ever do what feels safe and good to you.
So step by step we will work together in this way until you feel you have achieved what you came for.
Throughout therapy, I commit to being reliable, kind and respectful of your needs and wishes at all times.
I am a member of the BACP and subscribe to their code of ethics, which is first and foremost to keep your needs at the forefront of our work together.
- Establish contact by email or phone (confidentiality will be maintained)
- We'll decide whether to meet in person or by video or telephone
- Book a half an hour meeting telephone or online meeting to find out what you need and if I am the right person to help and look at what you can afford to pay (free)
- Or come for a full 90 minute assessment where we can make a plan for your recovery.
- Progress to weekly sessions
- You may complete counselling at any time. Most people come weekly for between 6 weeks and two years
Training, qualifications & experience
- Level 4 diploma in therapeutic counselling CPCAB
- BA Oxon, Human Sciences
- MA. Research methods, Health
- Rape Crisis
- New Dawn counselling, Bridgewater, Somerset
- Experienced practitioner of meditation and mindfulness
- Advanced Yoga therapist for children with special needs
- Group facilitator/teacher of mindfulness and therapeutic group work
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have experience and interest in disability, parenting, conflict resolution, spirituality and trauma.
Photos & videos
£50.00 per session is the standard fee. I do offer a limited number of concessionary places. If this is important for you please establish first if I have any available.
I have a particular interest in how the death taboo (the fear of death) leads to psychological and social problems.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||No|
During the Coronavirus outbreak I will also be offering online, email and telephone counselling only.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|