Eva Kurz MA(Psych) Adv. Dip. UKCP MA LLM
39a Belsize Lane
The Child & Family Practice
60 Bloomsbury Street
I am an experienced psychotherapist and counsellor offering psychological therapies to adults and young people in English, French and German. I am a member of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and I work with clients from different cultural and professional backgrounds going through emotional difficulties in an open, non-judgemental and supportive manner.
HOW COUNSELLING CAN HELP
I strongly believe that psychotherapy can help to achieve better mental health and life choices. You may have been trying to resolve some issues on your own for a long time, and it may be hard to acknowledge that you need help.
It is now largely accepted that the effectiveness of psychotherapy is largely based on two factors: the first is the understanding and insight that emerges during therapy about repeating patterns stemming from past experiences and relationships which sabotage current self-beliefs and relationships; whereas the second is the positive and collaborative therapeutic relationship which develops between the therapist and the client over time. When both aspects flourish, change and personal development can take place.
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE FIRST SESSION
I offer a free telephone conversation for up to 15/20 minutes, in which you can briefly explain what is bringing you into therapy. If we then arrange to meet for an initial consultation, I will explain my approach, my fees, holiday arrangements and other questions you may have. I will take some information on your family background and any issues which have led to you seeking therapy. I often recommend meeting for another session before deciding whether and how to work together.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
As a psychotherapist I see clients for a range of issues including depression and low mood, anxiety, difficulties in relationship, intimacy and co-dependency, family issues and parenting, trauma, bereavement, mid-life crisis, low self-esteem and confidence, psychosomatic symptoms, domestic violence and abuse. This list is not exhaustive.
Having worked as a lawyer and banker for 10 years, I have a particular understanding of the challenges and stresses of the corporate environment and I've helped individual and corporate clients with work related issues such as stress, career transitions, redundancies, maternity, perfectionism, under performance, self-sabotage.
Having a multilingual background and great awareness of cultural differences people can face when moving countries and starting new careers and settling children into new environments. With last year's referendum, I have worked with my clients' anxiety caused by the uncertainty in their personal and professional lives. These are links to articles written and statements in the press:
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Psychotherapy and Counselling Psychology (UKCP)
- MA in Psychotherapy and Counselling Psychology Foundation Course in Psychotherapy and Counselling Psychology
- Diploma in Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy
- 8 years’ experience working in a multi-disciplinary NHS Mental Health Trust
- Career coach and mentor for Oxford University Alumni
- Volunteer for charity(JWA) helping abused women
- Mentor for 18-25 year olds at the Winch (a North Camden charity) enabling young people to grow into independence and map their future
Previous training, qualifications and experience
- Qualified Solicitor
- LLM in EU Law, Universite Libre de Bruxelles -Scholarship by the Wiener and Anspach
Foundation to study EEC Law in Brussels
- MA (Hons) Jurisprudence, St. Anne’s College, Oxford University
- Between 1989 and 1997 I worked for Clifford Chance, BZW, HSBC and Beiten, Burkhardt, Mittl&Wegener
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Weight issues, Perfectionism, self-sabotage
Photos & videos
To be discussed.
I provide a free 15/20 min telephone consultation.
My consulting room in Belsize Park is easily reachable by public transport but if you wish to come by car I provide parking vouchers for residential parking bays.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||German, French, Slovak, English|
to be discussed depending on frequency and time of day.
Types of client