Deanne Fernando-Schreck. Ad.Dip Couns & Dip.Anxiety.Couns. MBACP. MPCATA.]
Hello and welcome, my name is Deanne. How can I help? I am aware that taking a step to seek a counsellor can be difficult, for most people. However when you find the right counsellor for you, the therapeutic process develops organically and can enable a comfortable setting for you to talk about issues, at your own pace. Anxiety, addiction, bereavement, childhood issues, depression/ emotional distress are some of the areas that I am able to support and help you through. The therapeutic service I offer is warm and down to earth, enabling people I meet to feel safe, supported and heard. Take a look through my profile for further information.
I am an integrative counsellor leaning more towards humanistic counselling. I currently work for a large charitable organisation, offering counselling for substance misuse. Working in the field of addiction for over five years, I have gained a great deal of experience in supporting people through their layers of emotional distress and continue to help clients through their journey to recovery. I also worked for the NHS Psychological Support Services for three years as a bereavement counsellor, helping people through their trauma in loss and grief.
My belief is that each person has the ability to reach their potential when seeking and finding their inner resources and strengths, enabling access to a brighter life. Over the years, I have had the privilege of working successfully with a wide range of adults of different ages and backgrounds. I have chosen to work in counselling because there is something very special about working in the helping profession and rewarding to see the process of change.
I am able to help support you through the following areas.
All forms of abuse, addiction, anger, anxiety and panic attacks, bereavement, depression, low self -esteem, a sense of loss of identity, health issues that impact, isolation, stress, relationship issues, work related issues and trauma. I would like to mention that I am also able to support those who are grieving for the loss of family pet, which I feel is also a significant part of loss and grief having experienced this myself.
The way I work
Providing short or long term one to one counselling sessions, my goal is to help individuals manage difficult and challenging issues that impact their well-being. Therefore, working towards gaining deeper awareness into the sense of self. We work together, identifying conflicts, needs and thus enabling you to explore alternative ways of being and relating; hence finding a resolution or satisfaction to a better place in life.
Pulling out from the therapeutic counselling approaches I have trained in, I work with the most effective approach that is suited to the content, which is presented to me at the time of the session. For example, whilst Humanistic approaches work well for most material, sometimes I incorporate, CBT or solution focused that I feel relates better.
Other ways of working and communicating:
Person Centred Art Therapy Counselling Skills.
I am able to work creatively by using art materials with those who wish to do so. No drawing skills are required, I can assure you. Working with an image produced by yourself, I facilitate a session that enables you to explore the hidden messages which communicate feelings that might have been previously suppressed. It can also help release feelings that might be hard to bring to the surface. This can be a powerful way of processing and some clients express the value and benefit of working this way. I tend to use a variety of simple techniques, that helps open awareness, to what the client is 'holding' or 'carrying'. Working this way brings another perspective to reflection.
Previous Work experience
Previous to counselling, I worked for the NHS, in London, working closely with patients and various others departments. For me, this was a humbling, rewarding and enjoyable experience. I would say that this journey led me to the interest in counselling and psychotherapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Anxiety Counselling
- Professional level five Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Certificate in Person Centred Art Therapy Skills
- Certificate of Proficiency BACP
- NCFE Certificate in substance misuse awareness
- NCFE Certifcate in Mental Health Awareness
- NCFE level 3 certificate in counselling skills and Theory
Some of the Courses and workshops attended.
- Scape- coat - women who run with wolves -PCATA Dandelion workshops.
- The body Keeps Score CSA and Complex trauma - part one -Christine Sanderson.
- The body Keeps Score CSA and Complex trauma - part two - Christine Sanderson.
- MI interviewing -Harlow Essex.
- Working with Self Harm - adult education, Essex.
- Introduction to art therapy skills.
- Safe guarding/ health and safelty.
- Westminster Drug Project 2017/2018 - De-escalation, Solution Focused and WDP MI interviewing.
- Health and Safety 2018.
- Barts Health NHS trust - Training Course in incorporating both theoretical and practical work in the area of loss, grief and bereavement 2015.
- CRI Substance Misuse Training 2013.
- Drugsline Certificate of Training 2011.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- I am able to help and support those who have lost a family pet.
Photos & videos
- Free of charge short initial telephone assessment.
- £50 for individual counselling session.
- £40 for telephone counselling session.
I offer a reduced fee for those on a low income during the daytime at my Chigwell location. I will be happy to have a chat with you and help in any way I can, so please feel free to call or email me for more information. Discount for block booking available also.
Thank you for taking the time to look at my profile, wishing you all the best.
I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I am a member of Person Centered Art Therapy Association.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client