When life gets troubling or messy, I offer a safe space for you to share and explore your life experiences,
How will counselling help?
In counselling you will:
- experience a professional, honest, safe, deliberate relationship that is for you, and enables you to understand yourself,
- bring areas of confusion and difficulty into focus to make more sense of your reactions & feelings, gaining the opportunity to consider how you would like to respond and how you would put that into practice.
- be supported to build your resilience and journey towards wellbeing - even if your circumstances can't be changed.
Your counselling will be tailored to You:
I build a warm, confidential, trusting relationship with my clients, providing a space where you can talk and truly be heard without judgement. I have a range of counselling techniques and tools that will be tailored to support you, empowering you to develop the self-awareness, skills and confidence needed to move towards your therapy goals.
My focus is to help you connect with increasing fulfilment and satisfaction in your life.
If it's hard to put things into words:
Sometimes talking about your problems or trying to find the right words can be difficult. If this is where you are, I am happy to discuss what I can do to help you and draw on visual and creative techniques to put you more at ease .
You don't have to cope on your own:
You might feel that you don't want to be a burden on your relationships with 'your stuff'. Often grief can make us feel that way - or being concerned about what people might think about something from our pasts. Counselling can help you with a private space to talk. Whatever is troubling you, please text, phone or email me to arrange an initial appointment.
When faith and spirituality help or hinder:
I have 35 years of pastoral care experience, coming alongside individuals who struggle with beliefs, doubts or overwhelming life circumstances. If it is relevant to you, I am open to exploring issues of faith, belief and spirituality.
Keeping you safe:
Explaining confidentiality, maintaining your privacy, belonging to a registered professional body are just part of my work to make counselling safe for you.
I have professional indemnity and public liability insurance, am registered with the Information Commissioner's Office, and am a member of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme.
Alongside my private practice I facilitate Days of Hope: reflection and self-awareness retreats and I volunteer as a counsellor with a charity in Edinburgh.
Training, qualifications & experience
Diploma in Integrative Counselling
Advanced Certificate in Christian Counselling
I am supported in my work by an experienced clinical supervisor and am committed to continuous professional development. Some training events I have attended include:
Certificate in Online and Telephone Counselling
Working Creatively in Online Therapy
Creative tools for Therapy
Taking Stock - the Impact of the COVID Pandemic
Treating Trauma and Polyvagal Theory
Autism Awareness Certification
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Certification
Prior to training as a counsellor I have worked in special needs education, carer support and IT project management.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
From £20.00 to £50.00
Free initial telephone or online session
Concessions offered for
Free Initial Chat
I offer a free, informal telephone or online consultation (up to 15 minutes) to give you the opportunity to find out about counselling with me and to ask questions you may have. I will send you some information to consider if you think that you might like to meet online.
What Happens in the First Session?
If you think you would like to try counselling with me, you can follow the initial chat with a first session when we can:
- meet in person or online - when you contact me to book an appointment I will ask which you would prefer. If we are to meet online I will send you an email with the link to a Zoom room. I use a unique room code each time. In-person sessions occur in my counselling room in Avonbridge.
- get to know each other a little more and help you decide whether I am the right counsellor for you,
- talk in more detail about counselling, what you are looking for support with and what you hope to gain.
The fee for the first session is £20.
If you decide to continue?
- We would form a contract for counselling.My contracts are open ended with reviews of how you feel you are progressing every 6 weeks.
- Your sessions will be focussed on you and your needs
- Sessions are for one hour, and usually take place weekly. I am happy to discuss alternative arrangements.
- My standard fee is £40 for daytime sessions. Evening (from 5pm) sessions are £50.
- I offer a discounted rate of £30 (pre 5pm) to Keyworkers, Carers and Students who can evidence their status.
Payment of Fees:
Fees for all appointments are payable by bank transfer before the session. Fees for face to face appointments can be payed in cash at the start of each session.
There is no charge for sessions cancelled more than 24 hours in advance. Sessions cancelled with less notice or not attended are charged at the full session rate.
I will to respond to enquiries Mon-Fri.
Earliest appointment: 08:00
Latest appointment: 18:00
Please get in touch to discuss your appointment needs
Counselling can be accessed in person, online or in a blended approach to suit your preference and circumstances. If you would like, I can send you some information to support you in deciding if online or in-person counselling would be best for you or we can include that within the initial chat.
In-person counselling is carried out in a comfortable, private room within my home. There are two steps from the drive into this room.
Free parking on the street is available and there is a bus service from Falkirk.
Online counselling is carried out on Zoom. I can help with setup instructions if you need that. There is no cost to you to use the Zoom App.