07876 343 669 / 07876 343 669
Above all, effective counselling requires considerable experience. Over the last 18 years, my well-regarded practice has gained a good reputation for helping people through gentle therapy. Feeling comfortable, safe and understood are prerequisites in this delicate work. Our premises are office based, but feel cosy and discreet.
My work has brought me into contact with a great variety of people, each struggling with a unique set of problems.
Whilst I do have a comprehensive technical understanding of psychotherapy, my belief is that people are transformed by the presence of a person who does not hide behind a wall of knowledge. Above all, I believe that clients do best with therapists who are first and foremost sincere, kind, and genuinely engaged in the human aspects of their client's life - not simply reeling out prescriptive solutions.
For good work, it is vital that a counsellor has the capacity to understand matters at great depth, and to facilitate the safest of spaces. I am known for offering this to my clients - and they know that it works.
I have seen first-hand how counselling, can really transform seemingly impossible emotional and practical situations into something manageable. I bring not only a vast experience as a psychotherapist, but also a knowledge borne out of my experience as a client, in years past.
I have managed the Greenwich Area of a well known mental health charity since 2004 - supporting hundreds of people every year. I have been a supervisor and trainer to other counsellors since 2002. In particular, I have a wide network of very experienced colleagues - if you have any queries, do call for a brief chat: if I cannot help, I will know someone who can.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have Accredited Register status with BACP.
The Studying Bit:
MSc Degree in Therapeutic Counselling 2003
Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling 2000
Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling Skills 1999
MSc Degree in the Sociology of Health 1997
Cruse Supervision 2002
Cruse Awareness in Bereavement Care 1999
BA/Hons Sociology 1993
I have undertaken many, many training sessions and courses since 1998, as well as my formal studies connected to degree work. Far too many to mention.
- I gained a counselling diploma in 2000 having studied and worked in placements in the previous two years
- I worked within a staff counselling team, on placement, within a London university, until 2003.
- I have worked in private practice since 2002.
- I continue to work as Counselling Services Manager for the Greenwich area of a highly regarded, NHS supported, counselling service in the voluntary sector. I've been in post since 2004.
- I am an experienced group supervisor and trainer, with experience as a counselling group facilitator.
- I am an experienced telephone counsellor - working with Work Stress Management for some years.
Some other things:
- I have served on the Greenwich Council Emergency Planning and Liaison Group from 2005 to 2010, and also of the Greenwich Safeguarding Children Child Death Overview Panel until 2014.
- In 2007, I worked with Prof Colin Murray-Parkes to deliver a conference on Love and Loss at the University of Greenwich
- I am a contributor to the international academic journal Bereavement Care in Practice
- In 2015, among other projects, I devised "Into The Forest of Loss", a creative visualization using walking, poetry and prose, to facilitate and support healthy grief.
- My projects in 2016 include developing therapeutic work in a prison setting, evolving therapeutic walking to support people with mental health difficulties, and those experiencing loss.
- I am the Team Leader for the development of an all-abilities volunteer cycling project to enable people with profound disabilities, physical impairment, and learning disabilities, to participate in an ordinary cycling club.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a special interest in the following topics:
- Existential Terror
- High Functioning Autism
Photos & videos
For individuals: £50
A concessionary rate may be negotiable in special circumstances
Please contact me on 07876 343669 to discuss your needs.
The rooms at Counselling South London are used exclusively by myself, and my colleague, Jane Sturtridge. The consulting rooms are calm and secluded, and designed for the purpose of encouraging a sense of retreat and calm. They are sited in a quiet residential area of Eltham.
Jane Sturtridge is my direct colleague. She is a highly experienced counsellor and I have no hesitation in recommending her: read more about her on our website (link on this page) or by looking at her entry on Counselling Directory.
I do not work with couples - although I do work with individuals who are in couple counselling elsewhere.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available from 8am to 9pm on weekdays.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I trained as a supervisor in 2002.View supervision profile