I would like you to find the support you need - so do drop me a message in whatever way suits you. I offer a short, free, and no-obligation conversation.
My experience in therapeutic work and settings is extensive. I work with many issues, but anxiety, low mood, and worry are the most common. I always seek to look beyond short-term coping strategies. I want to invite you to understand the root of your struggle so that you can manage yourself in the most effective way.
I offer Zoom, Skype, and telephone support, as well as face-to-face sessions in Eltham in a COVID-19 safe space.
I have 21 years of experience as a therapist and 19 years as a supervisor. I have led a mental health service in Greenwich for 17 years. Call me to discuss your needs, and if I can't help, I should be able to point you in the right direction.
People are best helped by experienced, transparent therapists who are sincere, warm, real, and kind. I limit my caseload to ensure everyone gets the support they deserve. My warmly regarded practice has a reputation for providing a sound and grounded place-to-be for people struggling with the trials of life.
I work with all aspects of emotional turmoil, struggle, and distress. Please feel free to contact me to see if I can help you find your way through. Depression, anxiety, and relationship struggles represent the largest part of my work. Most of my clients find it really good to talk things through.
My experience in bereavement, loss, and change work is extensive. This deep knowledge is essential in supporting not only bereavement, but also the successful management of life changes such as divorce, abusive relationships, coercive control, relationship breakdown, illness, redundancy, promotion, and retirement.
I am a supervisor with 19 years of experience so I have a broad range of experience in therapeutic work. My approach is integrative, but I am influenced by Kleinian and Winnicottian thought. Gentle, informed, accepting, secure and kind facilitation is at the heart of the work: heart-work is better than head-work, being is better than doing. Presence is everything.
As well as my private practice, I lead a highly respected, innovative, and thriving charitable mental health service. The service currently supports around 500 people every year and our primary source of referrals is from GPs and health professionals. I have trebled the size of this service since 2004 and have secured funding from the NHS every year. We offer placements to university students in that context.
COVID-19 I have been quite busy lately consulting for and supporting the development and review of COVID-19 bereavement services in the southeast London area. I have also been supporting other services looking to improve their coronavirus bereavement support. Sadly, I have also worked with numerous people bereaved through COVID-19.
I have a wide network of experienced colleagues. If I cannot help, I usually know someone else who can.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have Accredited Register status with BACP.
MSc Degree in Therapeutic Counselling 2003
Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling 2000
Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling Skills 1999
MSc Degree in the Sociology of Health 1997
Cruse Supervision 2002
Cruse Awareness in Bereavement Care 1999
BA/Hons Sociology 1993
I have undertaken many, many training sessions and courses since 1998, as well as my formal studies connected to degree work. Far too many to mention.
- I gained a counselling diploma in 2000 having studied and worked in placements in the previous two years
- I worked within a staff counselling team, on placement, within a London university, until 2003.
- I have worked in private practice since 2002.
- I continue to work as a Manager for a highly regarded, NHS supported, counselling service in the voluntary sector. I've been in post since 2004.
- I am an experienced group supervisor and trainer, with experience as a counselling group facilitator.
- I am a highly experienced telephone and online therapist, my experience in these areas stretches back nearly two decades.
Some other things:
- I have served on the Greenwich Council Emergency Planning and Liaison Group from 2005 to the present, and also of the Greenwich Safeguarding Children Child Death Overview Panel until 2014.
- In 2007, I worked with Prof Colin Murray-Parkes to deliver a conference on Love and Loss at the University of Greenwich
- I am a contributor to the international academic journal Bereavement Care in Practice
- In 2015, among other projects, I devised "Into The Forest of Loss", a creative visualization using walking, poetry and prose, to facilitate and support healthy grief.
- My projects in recent years include developing therapeutic work in a prison setting and evolving a model for therapeutic walking to support bereaved people now widely regarded as a ground-breaking new approach to bereavement support.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a special interest in the following topics:
- Anxiety and Low Mood
- Divorce and the end of relationships
- Failing relationships
- Ambivalent and Anxious Attachment
- Turning points
- Loss and Change
- Being and Existential Terror
From £60.00 to £80.00
Free initial telephone session
- For individuals: from £60
- For companies: Please contact me on 07876 343669 to discuss your needs.
Available from 8 am to 8 pm on weekdays.
I offer Zoom, Telephone, and Face to Face support.
My rooms are calm and secluded and designed for the purpose of encouraging a sense of retreat and calm. They are sited in a quiet residential area of Eltham.
I do not work with couples - although I do work with individuals who are in couple counselling elsewhere.
Parking is easy, and I am a short walk from Eltham railway station.