Susan Powell. MBACP (Accred)
Hi I'm Sue and I'm a BACP accredited counsellor working with young people, adults, couples and EAP.
I can help you with many of life's difficulties, including depression and anxiety, relationship and family issues, problems at home, school, uni or work, general feelings of sadness or life feeling out of control.
Do you want to work out how to manage and understand your anger, uncomfortable emotions or overthinking?
Or to come to terms with past events, trauma or abuse?
You may be feeling lost, don't know what direction to take in life or who you are anymore.
Perhaps you've just lost your enjoyment of life?
You might want to talk through your feelings around relationship difficulties or the death of a love one.
I have worked extensively with people with Asperger's syndrome helping them to understand, and accept, themselves and others.
These are just a few of the reasons why people have come to me to help change their lives.
I am a person-centred counsellor and this means that I understand that you are a unique person with your own story, and individual needs and concerns. I put you first; working with you to help you come to your own conclusions about the best way forward for you.
Person-centred counselling is a powerful talking therapy that helps you to make lifelong changes, form strong healthy relationships, come to terms with your past and to feel more settled and fulfilled in your life.
I accept you just as you are.
Visit my website http://www.susanpowellcounselling.co.uk for more information on how I work and what I can offer you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Accredited member BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) - The BACP have approved and endorsed my work as a safe, ethical and effective therapist
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- School Counsellor - Secondary schools working with 11 to 16 year olds with a variety of concerns; depression, anxiety, OCD tendencies, self-harm, suicidal thoughts, parental and family issues, bereavement, friends, behavioural problems, abuse, belonging, loss, etc
- Private practice (2016-) - young people, adults, couples, EAP, charity work: clients in my private practice have ranged from 10 to 81 years old and from a diversity of backgrounds and circumstances. I also work with adults referred through the Employee Assistance Programme and young people through a charity supporting child victims of crime.
- Lecturer of counselling - Bedford college
- Volunteer/charity counselling and support work - I have provided volunteer counselling for a variety of organisations, working with both young people and adults and I work with a local charity as an adult carer support worker, helping carers to manage both emotionally and practically with their cared for loved ones. I also support young carers who look after adults in their lives.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Ex-armed forces personnel coming to terms with trauma memories and finding ways to move forward in civilian life.
Family couples work: parent/child, siblings, life partners, etc
If you have a particular concern that's not listed here, please contact me to find out how I can help you
Photos & videos
Young people (11 - 18 years): £40.00
Adults (19+ years) weekdays before 5.30pm:
£45.00 per session OR £160.00 for four sessions if paid in advance
Adults (19+ years) weekdays after 5.30pm and Saturdays:
£50.00 per session OR £180.00 for four sessions if paid in advance
If you are training to be a counsellor, please ask about student discounts
"Sue offers a welcoming non judgemental and safe environment which allowed me to explore and comfortably discuss experiences and memories that have troubled me. Sue has helped me to understand and find who I am as a person and helped me to enjoy life again."
"I was made to feel at ease in comfortable surroundings and at no point did I feel judged which I was nervous about. I would highly recommend Susan Powell. She was very friendly and knowledgeable, and overall I found it a very helpful experience"
"I can't thank you enough for how much you have helped me. You were there when I needed help and you guided me to such an amazing place. When I came to you I wanted help with a particular issue but I feel as though my recovery has gone so much further than this"
"I was going through some big changes in my life, so my anxiety was rearing its head. I found that you were able to help me to understand these feelings much better and deal with them like I wasn't able to before. I cannot thank you enough for making me feel so much happier!"
From the mother of a 15 year old client:
"Once again I find myself listening to G telling me you saved her life. I think it’s important you know the HUGE impact you have had on her life and that she keeps referring to you helping her turn her life around. Thank you Sue. I will always be grateful"
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
My counselling room is located on the ground floor and is accessed across a gravel pathway. Free on-road parking in a quiet area. Just a few minutes walk from a local bus route. Putnoe, Bedford
Monday 10am -7pm. Thursday 10am - 7pm. Friday 2pm - 5pm. Saturday by appointment
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|