Sonya Markey MBACP
I believe we all have, in ourselves, the ability to work through our own problems; sometimes we just need the space, time and support to do it. Talking through emotional turmoil, life experiences or life changes can help you gain clarity and a better understanding of yourself.
Sometimes talking to our friends and family can seem too daunting, often we can’t help wondering if we will be taken seriously and what they might think of us. We don’t want to worry them or think nobody will be interested.
What would it be like to talk to someone who will listen without judging you or offering you advice? Someone who can be a thinking partner? As a psychodynamically trained counsellor I aim to do just that. I specialise in anxiety, depression and relationship dynamics and their impact on your emotional well being and sense of who you are. Psychodynamic counselling gives significance to the role of early experiences in shaping our psychological development. My practice provides the opportunity to explore any, or all of the issues you are concerned with in a safe secure environment.
Your initial appointment will give you an opportunity to meet with me to decide whether you will feel comfortable working with me and a possible focus for our work together. We can then arrange a time to meet each week. I offer short term therapy or long term open ended therapy. My fees are £45.00- per 50 minute session.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Sonya Markey, Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP).
- MA/PgD Contemporary Therapeutic Counselling at The University of Hertfordshire.
- University Dip in Contemporary Therapeutic Counselling.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Counselling sessions are 50 minutes.
Fees are £45 per session.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day and evening appointments available Monday to Thursday.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|