Sonya Markey (MA, BACP)
I believe we all have, in ourselves, the ability to work through our own problems; sometimes we just need the space, time and support to do it. Talking through emotional turmoil, life experiences or life changes can help you gain clarity and a better understanding of yourself.
Sometimes talking to our friends and family can seem too daunting, often we can’t help wondering if we will be taken seriously and what they might think of us. We don’t want to worry them or think nobody will be interested.
What would it be like to talk to someone who will listen without judging you or offering you advice? Someone who can be a thinking partner? As a psychodynamically trained counsellor I aim to do just that.
Psychodynamic counselling gives significance to the role of early experiences in shaping our psychological development and our relationships as adults. Counselling provides the opportunity to explore any, or all of the issues you are concerned with in a safe secure environment.
Your initial appointment will give you an opportunity to meet with me to decide whether you will feel comfortable working with me and a possible focus for our work together. We can then arrange a time to meet each week. I offer short term therapy or long term open ended therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Sonya Markey, Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP).
- MA/PgD Contemporary Therapeutic Counselling at The University of Hertfordshire.
- University Dip in Contemporary Therapeutic Counselling.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
Counselling sessions are 50 minutes.
Fees are £45 per session.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available daytime only
Types of client