Sonia Edwards (MA, MBACP)
I work across 3 London locations: Monument, Belgravia, East Dulwich; and offer sessions online. A number of low cost slots are available, depending on individual circumstances.
Deciding to see a counsellor is an important decision, giving you an opportunity to step out of everyday life, reflect on events, and speak to a professional who can help you make sense out of what is going on. Perhaps you feel stuck - talking with friends just isn’t enough, or you are tired of living in a bubble, going through the same motions every day, detached from the world.
How can I help you?
I offer a confidential space where we can explore together with your concerns and support you towards the changes you wish to make in your life.
My speciality is working with individuals looking for deeper meaning, abundance and possibility in their lives, perhaps questioning their behavioural patterns, identity, sexuality, culture, gender, and sense of belonging. I have worked with a diverse client base both in private practice and organisations since 2008.
- to build a therapeutic relationship with you based on honesty, trust and mutual respect.
- to give my undivided attention and fully listen to you without judgment, or advice giving.
- to help you to gain insight and clarity into the issues you bring and to hold the space for you
- to process whatever feelings come up.
- to support you to develop and strengthen your inner resources, giving you the tools and greater confidence to deal with uncertainty, conflict and situations that trigger you.
- to honour your unique individuality with full respect and care.
We would meet for an initial session to get a sense of whether therapy would be right for you, and to decide whether we would like to work together. You will most likely have questions for me, and we can consider how many sessions may be needed. There is no obligation for us to meet again after the initial session.
On-going sessions are usually on the same day, at the same time each week, or twice weekly. Each session lasts 50 minutes.
If you’d like to know more, or book a consultation, please click here to send me an email.
Training, qualifications & experience
Areas of Experience:
- Stress / Anxiety
- Relationships (with self, significant others, and how you are in the world)
- Psychosomatic conditions
- Questioning identity: sexuality, gender, race, in society, family
- Change / Transition
- Habitual drinking and recreational drug use
As an integrative therapist, (MA, MBACP), I encompass a range of perspectives and consider: patterns of thought / behaviour; childhood experiences; our creative ‘self’; the rhythm and tone of our relationship; and where you may be holding tension in your body. At the heart of my approach is how you relate: to yourself, to significant others, and to the world around you. I pay attention to your body / mind connection and believe when both are in harmony, greater awareness and compassion to your experience can be achieved.
Remaining open to new ideas and providing a consistently high standard of service is important to me and I attend regular training, workshops, seminars and conferences. The areas of my own Continual Personal Development (CPD) include body psychotherapy, mindfulness, CBT, identity, sexual diversity, trauma, and art therapy.
Qualifications & Membership:
- MA in Integrative Counselling @ London Metropolitan University, London
- Diploma in Humanistic and Psychodynamic Counselling Theory @ Goldsmiths University, London
- BA (Hons) Business Studies @ Westminster University, London
- Registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) - I adhere to their code of ethics
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Gender dysphoria
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Sex problems
- Work-related stress
Investment: the initial consultation is £30 and ongoing sessions are £65.
I believe therapy should be as widely accessible possible and offer a number of low-cost places. Please do enquire and we can discuss your circumstances.
On-going sessions are usually on the same day, at the same time each week, and each session lasts 50 minutes.
- Monument EC1R 8DU
- Belgravia SW1W 9LX
- East Dulwich SE22 8EP
- Online sessions
Since 2015, alongside working therapeutically, I have been undertaking intensive Medical Qi Gong instructor training, which is an ancient practice rooted in traditional Chinese medicine.
The practice can be described as a movement meditation where the breath, posture and movement techniques are learnt as a way of guiding the body back to its optimum state of being. If you wish, we can explore how you may be holding tension or stress in the body, and how your posture, and the way you move, may reflect certain behavioural patterns.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Types of client