Richard George Psychotherapy BABCP
I provide a safe and private space to offer evidence based psychological therapy to those experiencing a range of difficulties. These include the following;
Generalised anxiety, depression, panic disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, social anxiety, health anxiety, agoraphobia, specific phobias, low self-esteem and stress.
I work to clinical guidelines whilst tailoring my input to your own understanding, language and circumstances.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Put simply, CBT is a short-term talking therapy that usually involves attending a 50-60 minute session once a week for between six and 20 sessions depending on the goal of therapy. CBT has a wealth of scientific evidence that supports its effectiveness and has been identified by The National Institute for Health & Care Excellence (Department of Health) as the treatment of choice for anxiety disorders and depression. CBT is also more effective than medication alone in reducing the likelihood of relapse.
I am accredited with the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP). The BABCP is the lead organisation for CBT in the UK and my accreditation gives assurance that my post-graduate training and on-going practice meets the required standards.
Long-Term Health Conditions (LTCs)
Around 40% of people with a common mental health problem also have an LTC. Conditions such as COPD, asthma, diabetes, chronic pain and others, if not managed properly can impact on our anxiety and mood. In turn, the LTC then becomes harder to manage and a downward spiral of poor physical and mental health continues. Having been the clinical lead for long-term health conditions at Telford Primary Care NHS Wellbeing Service, I am in a strong position to offer my clients a comprehensive assessment and treatment.
EMDR & Trauma
EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing) is a therapy that is effective in the treatment of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and reduces the intrusive memories and other symptoms that can follow a traumatic life event. Although I offer Trauma-Focused CBT, I find that EMDR can be easier for clients to engage in, as it does not require the repeated in-depth discussion of the traumatic event and the eye movements can reduce the intensity of the intrusive images.
All treatments offered are in line with national clinical guidelines, published by the National Institute of Health & Care Excellence (Department of Health).
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via phone, text or email.
Prior to commencing therapy, I can offer you a free, no-obligation, confidential telephone consultation to discuss suitability and answer any questions you may have. If you decide to commence therapy you can take it one appointment at a time.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
- MSc Psychological Research Methods
- PGDip Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (Distinction)
- EMDR Training - Parts 1, 2 & 3
Full Accreditation with the British Association for Cognitive & Behavioural Psychotherapies. Membership No: 140696. My accreditation can be confirmed by following the link - http://cbtregisteruk.com/
I am a member of EMDR UK & Ireland. Membership No: G0357.
Disclosure and Barring Service
I am subscribed to the online DBS Service with Enhanced Disclosure.
For my commitment to promoting the individuality and rights of service users I was a finalist for South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust Chairman’s award in 2008.
I have worked in the NHS for over 14 years, accruing a wide range of skills and experience at a senior level, working for several different services with different client groups, from adult mental health to children’s services, primary care, learning disabilities, research and audit.
I take a keen interest in all common mental health problems. However, I have undertaken further training in the treatment of PTSD and have extensive experience in assessing and treating people who have been subjected to a range of traumas. For example, sexual assault, domestic abuse, terrorist attacks and working with asylum seekers fleeing persecution and torture. I also have extensive experience of working with interpreters.
In addition to working as a psychotherapist, past responsibilities include;
- Clinical lead for Long-Term Health Conditions (LTC) at Telford Primary Care NHS Wellbeing Service. I took a lead role in developing a new treatment pathway for people with long-term health conditions, supervised clinicians, delivered training to allied health professionals and promoted the integration of mental health services with Community Respiratory and Diabetes Services. Telford was one of a few sites in the UK where this was rolled out before being implemented nationally by NHS England. I also organised and ran monthly skills workshops for all CBT therapists in the service for their continuing professional development.
- Service lead for Trauma-Focused CBT within primary care mental health services (Telford), providing supervision and training in this field to other practitioners.
- Developed a treatment pathway for people with a mild to moderate learning disability into primary care mental health services (Stoke-on-Trent).
- Lead for Research, Audit & Outcomes Measures for Shropshire & Telford NHS CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services). I led a project to implement a system of routine outcome evaluation across the service. I also represented Psychology within the research governance group for the directorate (Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust).
Further Training & CPD
- EMDR Europe Accredited Training, Parts 1, 2 & 3 (EMDR Academy)
- IAPT Clinical Supervision (University of Birmingham)
- Compassion Focused Staff Support (Compassionate Mind Foundation)
- CBT for Long Term Health Conditions (Staffordshire University)
- CBT for those with Long Term Conditions (Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre)
- Concept of Psychological Trauma: Beyond PTSD (Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre)
- Using Reliving Effectively & Safely in Working with Traumatic Memories (Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre)
- Multiple Trauma: How & When to Work with Traumatic Memories (Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre)
- Cognitive Therapy for PTSD (Charlie Waller Institute)
- Understanding & Working with Complexity (Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre)
- Applied Behaviour Analysis (Institute for Applied Behaviour Analysis)
- Comprehensive Functional Assessment & Advanced Support Strategies (Institute for Applied Behaviour Analysis)
- Assuring Staff Consistency & the Provision of Quality Services (Institute for Applied Behaviour Analysis)
- Behavioural Family Therapy (Meriden)
- Values, Recovery & Person Centred Care (Staffordshire University)
- Recovery Enhancing Measures as a New Requirement of Mental Health Service Systems (Staffordshire University)
- RAID Training (Association for Psychological Therapies)
- What’s Love Got to Do with It? The Gift of Secure Attachment (Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust)
- Introduction to Clinical Audit (Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust)
- Introduction to Clinical Audit (National Institute for Health Research)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Please see my website for further information and fees.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Wheelchair user access:||No|
I can sometimes accommodate home visits. Contact me if this is something you require.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I provide clinical supervision to those practising Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Whether you are working in private practice or working in the NHS, I can provide you with a safe place to access clinical supervision that is supportive, compassionate and free from judgement. .View supervision profile