Penny Howarth - Registered Member MBACP
Good Health Clinic
27a Finkle Street
I offer Counselling & Psychotherapy in Selby town centre, where I have worked for many years and have become established within the local community.
I have many years experience working with a wide range of issues and I am a fully qualified Counsellor and a Registered member of the British Association for Counselling & Pyschotherapy (BACP).
In addition to working with adults in many settings, I have also worked extensively in school settings with children and young people. I also work as a counsellor for York and Scarborough NHS Trust. Prior to becoming a Counsellor I worked in Social Care for many years.
You are an individual and I will work with you in a way that reflects that individuality. I am an Integrative Counsellor & Psychotherapist, this means that I will draw on a number of approaches and techniques in my work with you.
Whichever way I work, the most important thing is that I will work hard to create a good therapeutic relationship between us. I will provide warmth and empathy together with a safe space where confidentiality is maintained and you will have the opportunity to work with whatever is troubling you without fear of judgement.
At our first meeting we will discuss what you hope to achieve from counselling and we will agree a way forward together. You may find that just a few sessions are all you need or you may have issues that you wish to look at in more depth.
If you are struggling to decide I will be happy to talk to you without any pressure or obligation; to help you figure out if this is the right time for you and if I am someone you feel you could work with.
Training, qualifications & experience
Graduate Diploma in Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP accredited)
Diploma in Social Care
Transactional Analysis 101
Registered Member of the BACP
Member of BACP Children and Young People
Additional Training Specific to Adults:
- Working with Relational Trauma - Dissociation
- Safeguarding issues in Counselling
- Working with Self-Esteem
- Person-Centred Creative Therapy
- Working at Relational Depth
- R.E.S.T programme (Advanced Psychotherapeutic Techniques for working with Sleep disorders)
- Ethics & the Law
- Existential Counselling & Psychotherapy - contributions to Pluralistic practice
- Creative Techniques in therapy
- Disordered Eating
- Understanding the Dynamics of Attachment
Additional Training Specific to Children & Young People:
- Play therapy & the Creative Arts
- Attachment Theory & Self-Awareness
- Assessing & Formulating the needs of a child
- Advanced Child Safeguarding
- Working with Child Groups
- Working with Metaphor with Children
- Making Endings with Children
- Child protection
- Childrens Emotional Wellbeing
- Child Protection & Safeguarding
- CAMHS - Understanding Autistic Spectrum Conditions
As well as working in private counselling practice, I also provide counselling for adults at NHS York and Scarborough Trust, and for several local businesses and Employee Assistance Programmes. I am in addition Service Manager at a Counselling Charity in York.
I have also worked extensively as a School Counsellor in West Yorkshire and as a children and young peoples counsellor for ESCAYP
(I hold an enhanced CRB check)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a particular interest in the individuals Emotional response to illness - being told you have a life altering/life threatening illness can be difficult to cope with. Talking to someone who understands can help to bring perspective and also help you with coping strategies.
My standard fee for a 1 hour session is:
£40 for Individuals
£32 for Counselling students
Children's sessions are 50 mins in duration.
Fees are payable in cash at each session and I have a 48 hour notice period for cancellation.
Out of hours appointments available.
If you contact me by email, please include a contact telephone number
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
In addition to daytime appointments, evening and Saturday appointments are available
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|