Paul Lipman - MBACP. Accred reg. - Individuals, Couples, & Group counselling.
01883345352 / 07843472163
Should you wish you can find out in more detail how I can help by going to my website (above) or from the information below my profile.
Counselling for me is many things. Sometimes it's about coping strategies and supporting my clients through a tough time or loss, others want to change something about how they feel, think or behave, many are looking to be free of the past whilst some aren't sure exactly what they need,they just know they are struggling to be happy in their life or relationships. There really is nothing too small or too big to ask for help with.
You'll find I'm patient and calm by nature, have a compassionate and mature approach, knowing how some things are really tough to talk about and whilst I will help you with ideas and tools to reduce symptoms and which can also speed up meaningful change I won't come with ready made solutions or think i know what is right for you.
I have always seen my role as supporting and guiding my clients through counselling, enabling them to see for themselves and understand how their difficulties keep them stuck and with my help how to overcome them. My aim is always for my clients to be able to leave feeling confident in knowing how to maintain their well being long term.
What you get with me are real solutions, tailored help, experience with all kinds of emotional and psychological issues and despite knowing "my stuff" I don't let that get in the way of having a normal and genuine relationship between us. What I truly believe makes the difference though, is that I've lived with and worked through my own anxieties and difficulties in counselling.
I know how big a step just getting to this point can feel and the thought of starting counselling can be daunting. For me I only asked when I was exhausted from putting on a brave face and felt confused because I wasn't used to not being able to cope. I was equally scared about someone really seeing how I felt and knowing what I was thinking. I also had no idea what counselling was about. So I might have some idea about how you could be feeling right now.
Yet counselling proved to be a valuable life line, was life changing and nothing like I imagined it to be.
All my clients get the same care and committment which changed my life and if you would like to find out more about having counselling, have an initial discussion or ask me any questions before deciding if you wish to meet me, then please do call. I will make time for you.
An initial meeting is an informal discussion which gives you the opportunity to tell me about your difficulties, for me to explain how I can help and after which you can decide if you think counselling with me will be helpful for you.
Hotmail account holders: If you request contact by email and cannot see any reply please check your "junk" folder.
Some of the difficulties I'm regularly asked to help with:
- Relationships & Couples (further details on my website)
- Anxiety and anxiety linked difficulties such as: (inc. Panic, Fear, Obsessions, Phobias, Addiction.)
- Trauma and PTSD
- Personality disorders.
- Bareavment & Loss.
- Depression or Low mood.
- Low self esteem/ confidence.
- Anger, Difficult behaviors & over reactions.
- Adults who continue to be affected by their childhood. (including abuse)
- General lack of identity or direction and purpose.
- Self harming
- Coping strategies.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a Registered Member of The British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, on the professional standards authority, accredited register.
I gained my experience over the years from helping with all kinds of difficulties alongside my practice in those National counselling organisations I have been invited to assist. In the first five primarily focusing on those with extreme anxiety, depression, anger, working through a loss and those in difficult relationships and in the next I've e gained a broad and in-depth knowledge helping with all kinds of difficulties for other health care professionals such as counsellors, those in the NHS and in The Forces. as well as in my own practice.I have also continued with advanced training in a range of areas which include: couples, parenting, anxiety linked conditions, complex loss and PTSD and also run group therapy.
- Academic Diploma in Integrative Counselling.
- WPF Certificate in Psycho-dynamic counselling
- Child development and behaviors
- Relational Development and Personal Communication
- Trauma and recovery
- Person Centred, Transctional Analysis, Gestalt and Relational counselling.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Depression, anxiety, anger, self-harm, eating disorders, attachment disorders, loss and grief, phobias, panic, sexuality, abuse, self harm, obsessions, addiction, post traumatic stress, Bipolar and Asperger syndrome.
- Bereavement Counselling.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Trauma. (PTSD)
Specialist training by Babette Rothschild, one of the worlds foremost leading experts and authors in treating Trauma and PTSD. This means I understand the Autonomic Nervous System which is vital in choosing safe approaches.
BACP Accredited - Couples , Relationships & Communication
See my website for full details..
Anger Programs/ Courses
I have run Police funded Anger management courses for a Southern based counselling organisation.
BACP Accredited - Creativity
Working with: Arts, imagery, visualization, role play, body language and mindfulness techniques.
Other (experiential training)
- Group Therapy / Psycho educational workshops
- Gestalt systemic and family constellation therapy.
- Gestalt experiential therapy
- Gestalt Group facilitation and coaching
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Group counselling and personal development
Friday evening - 7:30 to 9:15pm in Banstead.
Through the relationships you build in your group, you can heal, grow and come to better understand yourself and your pattern of behaviour when relating to others, enabling you to make links to your relationships in your wider world.
Although sometimes initially uncomfortable when talking in front of others you can benefit from; sharing and being with others who have similar difficulties and giving and receiving feedback, whilst having the opportunity to change and develop new ways.
Your group will consist of up to 6 and meet weekly/fortnightly and you will have an opportunity to meet me beforehand to ensure this approach will suit you.
Some of the ways being in a group can help:
- Identifying and changing unhelpful behavior in relationships.
- Anxiety (including OCD), fear or depression.
- Low self –esteem and increasing self confidence.
- How to build and maintain the relationships you want.
- Self- control.
- Conflict resolution
- Loneliness and finding a purpose and direction.
- Emotional resilience
- Building leadership and management skills
- Changing unhelpful and self- comforting behaviors.
- Coping with or managing a disability.
Marriage & Relationships
Much of relationship counselling focuses people on their problems and this leads to short lived solutions. My approach is to help you identify what a happy life together would look like, what each of you and the relationship needs to thrive and importantly to identify and work through the deeper underlying issues which get in the way. It is only when these are addressed will any changes you make become permanent.
Although there is no road map to a successful relationship what I do know, is when we come to understand ourselves and the other person more deeply and are able to combine this with an honest, open and respectful conversation and replace “right” and “wrong” with “the truth”, this can completely change how we experience and feel about each other. Many clients go on to enjoy a relationship which is stronger than if they had never had their difficulties.
Some of the ways in which I can help:
Active involvement – My aim is for you to reach the point where you are able to solve your own difficulties. I will actively guide you and be involved to help you achieve this.
Communication – Communication is a vital key in solving difficulties. I will teach you the skills you need to be able to work through even the most difficult conversations in ways you can feel heard, understood and which bring you closer.
Practical steps – From the first session I will help you with practical steps you can take to help get your relationship back on track.
Patterns – We all have patterns of how we behave in relationships. These are often habits and we can’t always see how these have a negative effect. I will help you identify these and make the positive changes needed.
Underlying issues – When you struggle to see or find the words to explain your underlying issues I will help bring these to the surface and you find the words to explain.
Knowledge – There is much to know about the different ways in which we give and want to receive love and support. I will help you recognise what is right for you and how to build these into your relationship.
Caterham (CR3) - Situated in a peaceful location 250 meters from Caterham main line station and the High Street.
Banstead (SM7) - A modern confidential space situation within 200 meters of Banstead High Street and 8 miles from Caterham.
- Individuals - £55 / 60 minutes.
- Couples - £65/ 60 minutes.
Group Counselling (Friday evening 7:15 - 9:15pm)
- 100 minutes - £28/40 session based on affordability.
I also offer appointments in Bromley on a Wednesday from 3pm to 9pm.
- Group counselling can be cheaper and more effective
- Addiction - asking the right question can really help you
- How transference affects your relationship
I am committed to providing effective and safe help and in achieving that I:
- Retain Professional indemnity insurance
- Abide by and go beyond the BACP Code of ethics
- Commit to ongoing professional development, keeping up with the latest advances and knowledge.
- Collaborate with other professionals if helpful, without breaking confidentiality
- Have professional clinical supervision to ensure I offer effective therapy and which is a BACP requirement.
- Never help outside my area of competence or experience.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer weekday appointments from 8:45am to 8:30pm last appointment and on some Saturday mornings. appointments..
Types of client