Paul Lipman - MBACP. Accred reg. - Individuals, Couples, & Family issues
Should you wish you can find out in more detail how I can help by going to my website (above) or from the information (inc. couples counselling) below my profile.
I came into counselling following the help i needed in 2006 and having spent my first five years with organisations such as MIND i have since helped individuals and couples with every imaginable difficulty in my own practice.
Being a counsellor for me is many things. Sometimes it’s about coping strategies and supporting my clients through a tough time or loss, others want to develop qualities or change in some way and many are looking to be free of past events or have questions about themselves and their lives. Whatever brings you here there really is nothing too big to ask for help with.
Whilst I have much experience what I believe makes the difference is that I have lived with and worked through my own anxieties and difficulties in counselling and I know the thought of talking to a therapist can be daunting.
I remember when I first started counselling feeling scared, I might break down, about being totally honest and was vulnerable with little idea what to expect. So I may well have some idea about how you are feeling right now.
We can all struggle at times though and having counselling is an opportunity to change your life for the better and break negative patterns which keep you stuck. For me I changed in ways I couldn’t have imagined and want your experience to be the same and for you to be able to look forward to your sessions.
Never forgetting I offer an encompassing informal,relaxed and supportive environment and an open, warm and genuine relationship in which I am fully involved, working together and not a blank canvas. I find this approach creates the best outcome for therapy – allowing trust to naturally build, ensuring clients can come knowing they can explore anything about themselves without judgement and comfortable with me guiding them through what is a very personal journey
You will also find I’m compassionate by nature about whatever you have to say and sensitive when working through what is difficult for you. So yes, counselling can be tough at times however it is also empowering and freeing.
…In counselling you can change in ways which break patterns of negative or critical thinking, difficult feelings or unwanted or self- harming behaviours, gain new perspectives to solve problems, learn how to manage your feelings and stay in control for what is difficult in your life – also become confident in yourself and your choices and learn much more about yourself, enabling you to find your own answers which maintains a sense of emotional well- being and inner strength.
My aim for you and all my clients is to be able to leave feeling better and confident in knowing how to cope, keep well and shape a life which is more than just getting by no matter what has happened in the past.We all deserve that!
Some of the difficulties I'm regularly asked to help with:
- Marriage & Relationship difficulties (further details below or on my website)
- Anxiety and anxiety linked difficulties such as: (inc. Panic, Fear, Obsessions, Phobias,and OCD)
- Abuse ( sexual, emotional or physical including rape)
- Trauma and PTSD
- Personality disorders including BPD, Asperger. Bipolar.
- Bereavement & Loss.
- Feeling sad or Depression.
- Critical and negative thinking.
- Low self esteem/ confidence.
- Anger, Difficult behaviors & over reactions.
- Adults who continue to be affected by their childhood. (including abuse)
- General lack of identity or direction and purpose.
- Self harming
- Coping strategies.
All my clients receive the same care and commitment which changed my life and if you would like to find out more about having counselling, have an initial discussion or ask me any questions before deciding if you wish to meet me, then please do call. I will make time for you.
An initial meeting is an informal discussion which gives you the opportunity to tell me about your difficulties, for me to explain how I can help and after which you can decide if you think counselling with me will be helpful for you.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a Registered Member of The British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, on the professional standards authority, accredited register.
I gained my experience over the years from helping with all kinds of difficulties alongside my practice in those National counselling organisations I have been invited to assist. In the first five primarily focusing on those with extreme anxiety, depression, anger, working through a loss and those in difficult relationships and in the next I've e gained a broad and in-depth knowledge helping with all kinds of difficulties for other health care professionals such as counsellors, those in the NHS and in The Forces. as well as in my own practice.I have also continued with advanced training in a range of areas which include: couples, anxiety linked conditions, depression, panic related difficulties, trauma and PTSD.
- Academic Diploma in Integrative Counselling.
- WPF Certificate in Psycho-dynamic counselling
- Child development and behaviors
- Relational Development and Personal Communication
- Trauma and recovery
- Person Centred, Transctional Analysis, Gestalt and Relational counselling.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Depression, anxiety, anger, self-harm, eating disorders, attachment disorders, loss and grief, phobias, panic, sexuality, abuse, self harm, obsessions, addiction, post traumatic stress, Bipolar and Asperger syndrome.
- Bereavement Counselling.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Trauma. (PTSD)
Specialist training by Babette Rothschild, one of the worlds foremost leading experts and authors in treating Trauma and PTSD. This means I understand the Autonomic Nervous System which is vital in choosing safe approaches.
BACP Accredited - Couples , Relationships & Communication
See my website for full details..
Anger Programs/ Courses
I have run Police funded Anger management courses for a Southern based counselling organisation.
BACP Accredited - Creativity
Working with: Arts, imagery, visualization, role play, body language and mindfulness techniques.
Other (experiential training)
- Group Therapy / Psycho educational workshops
- Gestalt systemic and family constellation therapy.
- Gestalt experiential therapy
- Gestalt Group facilitation and coaching
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Dependent personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Marriage and Relationships
Many who come to see me often feel hurt, misunderstood, frustrated and feel distant from each other. Counselling though can make a positive difference and many go on to enjoy a relationship which is stronger than if they had never had their difficulties.
I have no interest in taking sides or judging what has happened; and whilst there is is no road map to a successful relationship what I do know is that when we can communicate effectively and in respectful ways and replace "judgment" with understanding ourselves and each other more deeply, answers to even the most difficult problems can be found.
I will create a calm and safe space and help you:
- Know how to be with each other in ways which develop warmth and love and allow you to feel good about yourself and each other.
- Skills to to be able to have the most difficult of conversations in ways which bring you closer together, make agreement possible and never break down or end in shouting or walking away.
- How to be with each other in ways which can repair hurts and wounds, enabling you to feel safe and trust each other.
- To ensure your differences and sensitivities don’t become a bone of contention or source of frustration.
- Understand the role your history can play in stopping you from finding answers and how to change this.
- How to give yourself and what the relationship needs without your partner feeling rejected or let down.
- To identify and work through individual difficulties which get in the way of finding answers.
- Understand the natural growth stages all relationships go through and how to work through these successfully.
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
Caterham (CR3) - Situated in a peaceful location 250 meters from Caterham main line station and the High Street and 2 miles from junction 6 M25.
Banstead (SM7) - A modern confidential space situation within 200 meters of Banstead High Street and 8 miles from Caterham.
- Individuals - £65
- Couples - £75
- I also offer appointments in Bromley on a Wednesday from 3pm to 9pm .
- Group counselling can be cheaper and more effective
- Addiction - asking the right question can really help you
- How transference affects your relationship
I am committed to providing effective and safe help and in achieving that I:
- Retain Professional indemnity insurance
- Abide by and go beyond the BACP Code of ethics
- Commit to ongoing professional development, keeping up with the latest advances and knowledge.
- Collaborate with other professionals if helpful, without breaking confidentiality
- Have professional clinical supervision to ensure I offer effective therapy and which is a BACP requirement.
- Never help outside my area of competence or experience.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer weekday appointments from 9am to 8:30pm and on some Saturday mornings.
Types of client