Dip. Psych, MBACP, Counselling, Psychotherapy & Supervision
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
How can counselling help me?
When we are experiencing hard times it can be incredibly daunting to take those first steps towards help and support. This is where counselling or 'talking therapies' may be able to help.
My aim is to provide you with a professional, confidential counselling service in a safe, calm and compassionate environment. Here I can help you to fully explore your experiences and difficulties, identify what you would like instead and the options available to you to reach your goals so that you may live a happier and more fulfilled life.
Why choose me?
I have worked as a counsellor since 2009 and before that as a secondary school teacher. I have extensive experience of successfully working face to face and over the phone with adults and couples in private practice and children and young people in secondary schools. I am particularly experienced and interested in working with:-
- Relationship & Family Issues
- Trauma and its long term impact
- Bereavement, Loss & Grief
- Childhood & Adult Sexual Abuse
- Domestic Abuse
- Low self-esteem
- Low self-confidence
- New Parenting Skills
- Work and School Stress
I primarily utilise a branch of psychotherapy known as Transactional Analysis which can be modified and used in many different ways depending on your individual needs. I also draw upon and integrate different techniques from my Continual Professional Development training so as to tailor my approach to you as a unique individual.
These include Inner Child Healing; Focusing; Mindfulness, Applied Relaxation & Guided Imagery; Drawing & Talking; Sand Play Therapy; Grounding, Self-compassion and Self-care strategies.
I am very passionate about empowering you with more knowledge and understanding about your experiences and increasing self-awareness/self-care through a holistic approach enabling you to have healthier perspectives of your life.
What to expect - The initial session?
I offer you a free no-obligation first session. This is an opportunity to meet and talk through the difficulties you are currently experiencing. You can ask any questions and I will explain how I work. We can then decide if we wish to work together. I am happy to refer you to other therapists if needed.
How long will I need to come for?
I offer both short, medium or long term therapy to suit your needs. The number of sessions that you might have varies from person to person. It is entirely up to you to decide the longevity of your therapy and we will regularly review our work together so that you can get the most out of your sessions.
Sessions are usually weekly or fortnightly.
Please feel free to contact me to arrange an initial appointment or to ask any questions.
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications & Education
- Certificate in Supervision 2016 (Manchester Institute for Psychotherapy)
- Certificate in Child and Adolescent Studies and Therapeutic Skills 2011 (Manchester Institute for Psychotherapy)
- Diploma in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy following 4 years extensive training (480 hrs) at the Manchester Institute for Psychotherapy, Chorlton 2007- 2011
- PGCE Secondary Education. Manchester Metropolitan University. My teaching roles included Head of Geography, Second in Humanities, Geography Teacher, Head of Year and Primary Links Coordinator in three schools over ten years, Manchester. 1997-2007
- BSc( Honours) Geography
DBS and Professional Membership
- Current Enhanced DBS.
- Registered Member No: 048321 of the BACP Accredited Voluntary Register
- Member of UKCP as a trainee psychotherapist (working towards UKCP accreditation)
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Co-delivering Supervision Skills 3-day training events for BACP / AOC ( Nov 2021 to present)
- Volunteer at The Peter Quinn Friendship Group & Dementia Support (Nov 2021 to present)
- Volunteer Counsellor with CYP MIND Manchester (Nov 2021 to Feb 2022)
- Volunteer Befriender With The National Bereavement Partnership (April to Oct 2021)
- Children and Young Person's Counsellor at Hyde High School, Tameside (since 2012 to present)
- Clinical Supervisor supporting Trainee counsellors (2017 to present)
- Clinical Supervisor for Qualified Therapists working with CYP's & Adults (2016 to present)
- Clinical Supervisor for mental health workers at MIND, NAPAC (2020 to present)
- Clinical Supervisor for staff at Egerton High School, Manchester (Jan 2018 - Apr 2021)
- Volunteer Assessor & Counsellor at Stockport Women's Centre (2012 - July 2017)
£50.00 per session
Free initial in-person, telephone or online session
Concessions offered for
My room is conveniently located in central Stockport within easy walking distance of major bus routes and train station. Please see photos below of my room.
IMPORTANT INFO: Due to the current pandemic I am working exclusively online via videoconferencing.
- Individual therapy sessions £50 per hour
- Trainee Counsellor therapy sessions £35 per hour
- Reduced rates negotiated depending upon individual circumstances
- Please see my Supervisor Profile for supervision rates
Payment is to be made before each session by BACS.
When I work
I have been a Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP) since 2011 and Registered on the BACP Accredited Voluntary Register since 2014. This register is accredited by the Professionals Standards Authority for Health and Social Care.
I abide by the BACP's Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling & Psychotherapy. In order to maintain and develop my practice I receive regular supervision, ongoing personal therapy, and attend continuing professional development training events.
I have full and comprehensive indemnity insurance with Oxygen, Hiscox.
Thank you for reading my profile and I look forward to hearing from you.
Please do contact me if you would like to arrange an initial appointment or have any questions.