Katie Hampton Psychotherapeutic Counsellor BSc (Hons)UKCP Mindfulness Teacher
Welcome, my name is Katie Hampton and I am an experienced and qualified counsellor with an established private counselling practice in the city of Peterborough. I work one to one with individuals on either a long or short term basis. I am also a trained Mindfulness teacher, qualified to teach the 8 week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course, which is a structured training programme meeting the new requirements of the UK Network of mindfulness teacher’s guidelines.
I understand how difficult it can be when making the decision to have counselling, it can take courage to share with another person the deeply held emotions, thoughts and events that we experience in our lives, whether these are based in the past or present day.
Counselling may help you to understand your life and why you do the things you do, maybe you find yourself repeating the same old patterns in your relationships and in your behaviours. Maybe you have turned to unhelpful coping strategies such as alcohol abuse, substance misuse, sexual addictions, spending addictions or eating behaviours that seemed to help and manage difficult emotions for a substantial period of time but now you are noticing that these ways of coping are losing their effect and you want to learn new ways of regulating your emotional world.
I believe we all have an innate need to seek out comfort and safety from another human being. Right from birth we as human beings rely on our care givers to attune into our needs for our survival and safety and this continues throughout our childhood development. The majority of people grow up in an environment where their emotional, psychological and physical needs are adequately met and they develop into secure individuals. However, sometimes this does not happen and we tend to feel insecure in relationships and more importantly insecure in our sense of selves. These first experiences of relationships with our caregivers, siblings and other significant individuals mould who we are and how we experience the world around us and how we interact within our present-day relationships.
I like to work with my clients in a way that suits their needs the most, I encourage clients to enhance the resources they already have within them to grow and develop further. I believe one of the most important relationships we have is the one we have with ourselves and I work with clients to develop self-compassion and lift self-esteem. I integrate the body, emotional world and psychological world of the client into my work to bring a sense of wholeness.
I believe I can offer a confidential, safe and therapeutic relationship where together we can explore the difficulties that are troubling you from your past and present. Once we become more aware of our inner world, our emotions, sensations, thoughts and behaviours the release of negative energy that has developed over time begins to take place, allowing for personal growth and the choice to make changes if we so wish to.
Our initial session is an assessment session where we will discuss what has brought you to counselling and will last for fifty minutes, any further sessions will also last for fifty minutes and are usually on a weekly basis at the same time, however, I can allow for shift patterns. I offer appointments during the week either during the day or evening.
I work in private practice from my comfortable and welcoming therapy cabin at my home address in Eye which is a 3-mile journey from Peterborough City Centre.
I am qualified to teach the 8-week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course (MBSR) which is a structured training programme taught by teachers that have their own mindfulness practice and have been trained to meet the requirements of the UK Network of mindfulness teacher’s guidelines.
The NICE guidelines approve the use of mindfulness-based approaches within the NHS and much research has now been done to know that it is effective for mental health and well being.
Please see below for the next 8-week course training dates or visit the events page of the counselling directory or visit my website.
I have completed Mindful Eating-Conscious Living Level 1 Training with Jan Chozen
Bays, MD and Char Wilkins, MSW. This program is based upon the Mindful EatingConscious
Living Level 1 Training developed by Jan and Char. I will be running an 8-week Mindful Eating course in 2018, dates to be confirmed.
I also run an Understanding Your Eating five-week group workshop developed by Professor Julia Buckroyd. Please see my website or the events page here at the Counselling Directory for more details and dates for the next January 2018 course.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a registered member of UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) membership number:-2011163649
My qualifications are:-
- BSc (Hons) Integrative Counselling, Middlesex University
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling, Matrix College of Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Diploma in Integrative Counselling, Matrix College of Counselling and Psychotherapy
- HE Certificate in Counselling, University of Leicester
- NCFE level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills
As a requirement of my UKCP membership, I attend regular continued professional development courses and workshops. These include but are not all of them:-
- Telephone Counselling Training: working with long and short-term clients, Sarah Hart Training
- Mindfulness and Individual Therapy, University of Bangor
- Mindfulness-Based Approaches Teacher Training, 8 Week MBSR Course Growing Edges
- Mindful Eating Conscious Living level 1 Training with Jan Chozen
Bays, MD and Char Wilkins, MSW.
- Understanding Your Eating Programme, Professor Julia Buckroyd
- CBT Introductory Course, The Skills Development Service LTD
I am a counsellor working within GP settings and undertake work for employee assistance programmes and companies. I work in both a long and short term basis with adults and I also volunteer with a sexual assault counselling service. I hold a Criminal Records Bureau Certificate.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am very interested in Mindfulness and mindfulness-based stress reduction and will be running an 8-week mindfulness-based stress reduction course and a Mindful Eating course starting in 2018 Please see my website for more details.
You can read more about the Understanding Your Eating programme at my website, the next course will be starting in January 2018
I offer an initial assessment session where we meet one another and you can tell me what brings you to counselling. We then decide the most beneficial way forward for you and if you wish to return for counselling we will arrange a suitable time for our next appointment, usually on a weekly basis for counselling to be most beneficial to you. Each counselling session will last for fifty minutes.
- Individual counselling session £35
- Student Counsellor £30
- Telephone Counselling £35
- Work for EAP and companies £35
- Mindfulness For Individuals £45 (one hour and fifteen-minute session, see website)
- Mindfulness For Individuals with two people attending together £40 each person (one hour and fifteen-minute session, see website)
- Understanding Your Eating £35 per one 2 one session (see website)
- Understanding Your Eating Group workshop 187 GBP each (see website for dates)
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction 8 week Course within a group £265. The next course starts in 2018
- Mindful Eating 8-week group Course - coming soon in 2018 and price to be confirmed
Payment can be made by cash at the end of each session or by bank transfer before each session commences.Once counselling has begun if you are unable to make a session I ask that you try to rearrange for that week at a time that is suitable for us both. If this is not possible I ask for as much notice as possible for cancelled sessions. Any missed or late cancellations will be charged for at the usual price.
All therapy sessions are conducted in confidence and confidentiality will be maintained and applied to any and all records except in the following instances.
- If you give consent in writing for the confidence to be broken.
- Child protection or vulnerable adult issues
- If I believe you are a danger to yourself or another individual
- If the therapist is compelled by a court of law or if it is in the public interest.
If confidentiality was to be broken in any of the above instances I would firstly discuss with yourself where ever possible.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|