Dr Kate Bexley- Psychologist (HCPC), EMDR and CBT Therapist (BABCP)
I am a Counselling Psychologist registered with the HCPC and Cognitive Behavioural (CBT) Therapist, fully accredited by the BABCP. I am also a qualified EMDR and Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) practitioner.
I specialise in:
- Low Self Esteem/ Lack of Confidence
And Anxiety related problems, including:
- Social anxiety- a persistent fear about social situations and being around people
- Panic Attacks- periods of intense fear or apprehension that are of sudden onset and of variable duration from minutes to hours
- Agoraphobia- anxiety in and avoidance of certain situations often due to crowedness or vastness.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)- unwanted, unpleasant thoughts, images or urges that repeatedly enters a person's mind, causing anxiety and motivation to engage in a behaviour to reduce the anxiety.
- Health anxiety- persistent worrying about your own and/or others health
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)- anxiety disorder caused by very stressful, frightening or distressing events including road accidents, violent personal assaults, such as sexual assault, mugging or robbery, prolonged sexual abuse, violence or severe neglect and military combat
- Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)- anxiety and uncontrollable worry about a wide variety of situations associated with restlessness, trouble concentrating or sleeping
- Specific phobias- irrational fear and avoidance of a specific object (e.g. animal) or situation (e.g. heights)
- Relationship Issues- including romantic, family, friendships and other platonic relationships.
I also have experience in working with:
- Drug and Alcohol Addiction
- Binge Eating Disorder and Bulimia
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Trichotillomania (compulsive hair pulling) and Dermotilomania (compulsive skin picking)
- Childhood Trauma
- Domestic Violence
- Paranoid Delusions
- Personality Disorders
- CBT for people with Learning Disabilities
For personal reasons and as required by the many psychology and therapy training degrees I have completed, I have undergone extensive personal therapy myself. Hence, I am very aware of how bad things can get when one finally decides to seek help; the shame sometimes felt, and just how anxiety provoking it can be to open up to another person. With that, my aim as a therapist first and foremost, is to listen, non-judgementally and with compassion. However, as a CBT therapist, I also aim to gently challenge unhelpful thoughts and change unhelpful behaviours where they may be negatively influencing your mood.
Training, qualifications & experience
2017-Present: Principal Supervising Clinician / Counselling Psychologist
2016-2017: Senior High Intensity Therapist/ Counselling Psychologist
2014- Present - Founder, Counselling Psychology Online/ Private Practice.
2013-2014: Counselling Psychologist in Training, Addiction and Support Service.
2010- 2016 High Intensity CBT Therapist/ Supervisor, NHS.
2008-2010: Assistant Psychologist, The Priory Hospital, Roehampton.
2008-2009: Honorary Psychotherapist in training, Kids Company.
2007-2008: Mental Health Support Worker, MCCH.
2006-2008 - Supportive Listener, Samaritans.
2016: Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, City University, London.
2015: Interpersonal Therapy (IPT), Anna Freud Center
2011: Post Graduate Diploma in CBT, Royal Holloway, University of London
2010: Post Graduate Certificate in CBT (Expert Practice), Kings College, University of London
2009: Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling and Psychotherapy, Roehampton University, London
2008: BSc (Hons) Psychology, University of Kent, Canterbury.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists.
BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Free 15 minute initial consultation by phone
£110 per 50 minute session
I offer some concession rates for students and those on a low income-please do ask for further details on this.
I am a registered provider of psychological therapy with Aviva, AXA PPP, BUPA, Cigna HealthCare, Exeter Family Friendly and Vitality (Pru) Health.
Please do not hesitate to ask if you are registered with an alternative provider - some insurance companies simply require that I am approached by an individual for services before I am able to register with them.
Please note: I have a slightly different fee schedule for treatment that is funded by health insurance. This is due to specific requirements for reports that insurance companies request.