Judy James, MBACP : Relationship Consultant - Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
I am dual-trained and qualified both as Counsellor-Therapist and as a Personal Coach; this means you can benefit from the integration of the two professional approaches, Counselling and Coaching. We can address the worries and negative feelings that have caused you to seek support; we can also work towards solutions with a positive, future-focused approach, particularly if you are:-
- exhausted by stress and pressures of day-to-day life
- overwhelmed by too many worries
- aiming to break unhelpful habits
- seeking ways to improve work-life balance
- looking to resolve upset and unhappiness in relationships
Small changes can make a big difference to the way you feel about yourself, your situation and relationships. With care and compassion I will support you to work through your feelings and build resilience so that you can live more contentedly with less stress and worry. I am dedicated to the coach-therapy approach because it promotes long-lasting change, not just a temporary fix.
Why not take advantage of the free 30 minute initial consultation that I offer. It's an opportunity for you to talk in confidence with someone who has a wealth of experience supporting people to resolve:-
- relationships and family issues
- anxiety and phobias
- panic attacks and generalised anxiety disorder
- feeling sad, low mood and depression
- self-critical thoughts and obsessive behaviours
- loss of confidence, identity and self-esteem
Whatever you’re facing, there will be a variety of therapeutic approaches that can help, so we could explore these options together and find the way of working that bests suit you.
For Couples and Relationships of all kinds
“How come we love each so much yet tend to bicker, argue, say hurtful things and fight so much?”
“Somehow our relationship has lost its warmth and spark.”
“It feels like we’re just two people living under the same roof now"
If any of those statements resonate with you then you may well be interested in
Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) for Couples.
EFT is a structured, usually short-term, collaborative approach that helps partners re-build love and trust to make their relationship stronger and more secure.
Unlike traditional forms of couple counselling, EFT is a clearly defined 3 stage process with specific steps and interventions to enable partners to understand their own and each others emotional reactions and learn new ways to communicate, relate to each other and resolve conflict and distancing. The process of EFT enables each partner to discover how their relationship history affects their interactions now, and enables them to identify where and how communication breaks down between them.
EFT is goal focused to increase security, closeness, and connection in adult and family relationships.
How successful can EFT be?
Based on the scientific study of adult love, attachment theory and the pioneering work of Prof Leslie Greenberg and Dr Sue Johnson, EFT is well-researched and has a high success rate in overcoming relationship set-backs and difficulties. Research studies find that 70-75% of couples recover from relationship distress, and approximately 90% rate themselves as significantly improved. EFT provides partners with a set of strategies and interventions to maintain the new bond and problem-solve together so that they can overcome difficulties that arise in the future.
How can EFT help us?
I welcome you and your partner to come along together for a free consultation to find out more about Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) and how it could help you resolve upset, restore the bond between you and help re-shape your relationship so that it feels safe, respectful, and connected.
Why not take the first step? An initial no-cost consultation is for 30 minutes and I work from consulting rooms in Warrington, Wilmslow and Manchester City Centre between the hours of 9.30am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 9.30am – 1pm on Saturdays. You may phone, text or email me to check availability and book an appointment between those times.
Training, qualifications & experience
EFT - Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples – Externship and Additional Core Skills
EFT - Emotion Focused Therapy for Individuals
Graduate Diploma in Counselling – Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)
Certificate of Higher Education in Counselling (MMU)
BACP Register Certificate of Proficiency
Intermediate and Foundation in Counselling Skills
Practitioner Diploma in Executive Coaching
City and Guilds 7307 - Teaching in Adult Education
Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and Toxic Stress
Neuroscience for coaching and counselling
Coaching Clients to work through their feelings
NLP - Neuro Linguistic Programming
Healing attachment injuries
Sex as a safe adventure; connecting sexually and emotionally
Solution Focused Brief Therapy
Addiction and Transforming Shame
Self and Self Image
Supporting people who have suicidal thoughts
Caring for the Bereaved
Equality and Diversity – legislation and cultural awareness
Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (CTLLS equivalent)
Having first started my training more than 20 years ago and provided counselling in the volunteer sector, I have been in Private Practice since 2014. In addition:-
- I provide advocacy for people with communication difficulties of various kinds; helping people with verbal and written communication, and emotional expression.
- I work with organisations and community groups to raise awareness of the behavioural and health implications of Adverse Childhood Experiences and Toxic Stress
- I am passionate about EFT - Emotionally Focused Therapy for couples, and pro-active in raising awareness and promoting the benefits of the EFT approach. As co-founder of the North of England community of EFT Practitioners, I provide talks to professional associations and community groups not just about EFT, but also the topic of Emotion and Emotional Intelligence - the interplay between emotion, thought and action.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples
Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and Toxic Stress
Photos & videos
Fees for counselling: There is a scale of charges dependent on venue, time of day, duration, single or block bookings, type of therapy etc, but fees are negotiable and an important topic to discuss and agree during an initial consultation. Choosing the right therapist and agreeing a way of working that best suits you and your needs are important steps at the start of the process. I understand how crucial it is for the person to feel that that they can talk openly in a supportive, non-judgmental, confidential environment; that's why I offer and make no charge for an initial first meeting at which all these important factors can be freely discussed.
For Workshops and Seminars: Full details of prices, venues and content are available on request. See the Further Information section of this profile for a summary list of topics. I also welcome your enquiry if you would like to mix-and-match or include other aspects of personal or professional development so that a workshop is designed exclusively to meet the training, learning and development needs.
For students of counselling and psychotherapy I provide sessions to fulfill the Personal Therapy element of course study and qualification.
From time to time I run workshops and seminars to raise awareness of
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), Toxic Stress and Trauma
- EFT - Creating Connection: Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
- Working with the self and self-constructs
- Attachment Theory and relevance to counselling and therapeutic practices
- Coaching clients to work through their feelings
- Alternative approaches: the integration of coaching with counselling or psychotherapy – exploring the similarities, differences, benefits and results
For details of up-and-coming workshops or to book a bespoke seminar for your organisation, please get in touch by phone or email.
- Also registered with Life Coach Directory
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekday and evening availability 9.30am-8pm. Saturdays 9.30am-1pm.
Types of client