Craig Abex (MBPsS, MBACP)
I offer long and short-term face-to-face therapy in Faversham and Dover; I also provide online counselling and telephone counselling. Over the years, I have supported people experiencing present difficulties, future worries, or past concerns. Our past, present, and future all play a significant part in everyday life, and I have helped many people find a way forward, bringing them closer to their values.
I work in a relational way which centralises the therapy relationship as a source of healing. I am passionate about working with: trauma, depression, anxiety management, mindfulness, low self-confidence, long-term health conditions, difficulties from childhood, anger management, feeling 'stuck', OCD, and family/relationship difficulties. I have also been working with those who are suffering the economical, financial, personal, physical, and psychological consequences of the Covid-19 virus.
Navigating through the huge amount of psychological therapists can add more stress and confusion. Adding to that confusion is that: there are many different ways therapists can work! However, the most important thing is to pick someone who you feel drawn to, if that is me, then wonderful! If not, that is okay too. I wish you all the best in your search.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy by Professional Studies at Metanoia Institute – Middlesex University (Pending)
- Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy at Metanoia Institute (Pending)
- Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychodynamic Counselling at Metanoia Institute (Pending)
- Certificate in CBT for Long Term Persistent & Distressing Health Conditions at Canterbury Christ Church University
- Official Accreditation as a Group Facilitator at the Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology at the University of Kent
- Therapist with NHS IAPT at Faversham Counselling Service
- Clinical Assessor at IAPT
- Service Manager at Faversham Community Counselling
- IAPT Group Co-ordinator
- IAPT Allocations Co-ordinator
- Family Action and Tavistock Group Facilitator
- Early Intervention Support Worker
- Perinatal Support Worker
Continued Professional Development Training:
- Trauma Masterclass
- Peter Levine’s Somatic Experiencing
- How to Overcome Obstacles in Mindfulness
- Long Term Health Conditions
- Principles of Trauma-Focused Therapy: Working Towards Restoration and Repair
Membership of Professional Organisations
- Registered Trainee Member of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP - MBACP)
- Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society (BPS – MBPsS)
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
If you are interested in us working together, please feel free to call or email me. From here we will arrange a free 5-10-min telephone consultation; please note there is no obligation to attend therapy with me after. This is an opportunity for you to speak with me and ask any questions you might have, for me to get a little information on what you would like support with, and for us to determine if I am the right person to offer that support.
If we agree to move forward, then an initial assessment is £60 for a 60 minute appointment. After this, each session will run for 50 minutes and cost £50.
Alternatively, I offer blocks of sessions at discount:
6 session block: £285 (5% discount - save £15)
8 session block: £372 (7% discount - save £28)
12 session block: £546 (9% discount - save £54 - which adds up to one free session)
24 session block: £1044 (13% discount - save £156 which adds up to three free sessions)