Allison Nelson: Psychotherapist MBACP/MA Dip/BSc HONS Psychology/Cert/Couples
74 Town Street
Hello and welcome to my profile. I am a Relational Integrative Counsellor and Psychotherapist for individuals and couples, based in Farsley, Leeds, providing a high quality Counselling Service for the people of Leeds; Stanningley, Calverley, Horsforth, Bradford, Pudsey, Bramely, Farnley, Gildersome and Drighlington.
I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (MBACP) which means I offer a high standard of professional care. I have a wealth of experience working short and long term with a wide range of problems eg. anxiety and depression. My experience involves working in a variety of settings, including GP referrals, the NHS, Private Practice and the Voluntary sector.
Sometimes life throws you challenges, you feel uncertain and unhappy, unable to think clearly. Counselling provides you with the space to learn more about yourself, to work through your feelings and sometimes to make life changing decisions. Some clients do not have a clearly defined problem, they simply feel lost, directionless and desperately need to find meaning to their lives.
By providing you with a caring, non-judgemental and safe environment you are able to learn new strategies to cope with the difficulties you face. This enables you the freedom to grow and develop, to become more comfortable in the person you desire to be. Whatever is important to you is important to me.
I realise taking the first steps to seek help can be difficult, so please feel free to call, e mail or text if you have any questions about my service and I will happily respond to any questions you may have. If you leave a message I will get back to you as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.
"Coming to weekly therapy with Allison has been a lifesaver!! I was able to speak confidentially about my mind racing and my anxiety......having space to explore and understand my feelings I am now so much calmer....able to make better decisions and build better relationships.....my life has turned around!"
"Allison was caring, warm and non judgemental.....I was amazed at what i have learned about myself....I feel like a new person"
My Therapeutic Approach
The model I am trained in is the Relational Approach. This approach places relationships as essential to how we feel about ourselves, including the relationship between Therapist and Client. This model adopts an integrative approach, underpinned by the warmth of the Person Centered Approach and incorporating Existential, Humanistic, Transactional Analysis, Psychodynamic, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Attachment theories. I am therefore able to tailor my therapeutic approach to the individual needs of my clients.
Areas of Counselling I deal with:
My background in psychology has enabled me to understand the complexities of the mind and behaviour. This has given me the ability to be empathic whilst working alongside complex presentations such as; depression, anxiety, trauma, risk issues, suicide, loss and bereavement, affairs and betrayals, bullying, childhood and life event trauma, stress, panic attacks, relationship problems, marriage difficulties and divorce, family problems, emotional abuse, work difficulties, self esteem, addictions, anger management, work related problems and many other issues.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Masters Level Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling & Psychotherapy (Leeds Beckett University
- Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory (University of Leeds)
- BSC (HONS) First Class Degree in Psychology (Open University)
- Certificate In The Social Sciences (The Open University)
- CTI Level 2 Counselling Training Programme (Joseph Priestley College)
- Openings: Living in a Changing Society (The Open University)
- Certificate in Working with Couples (Leeds Centre for Psychological Develoment)
- I have studied degree level modules on psychological interactions e.g. bullying and harrassment, alongside ethics
I hold a full Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Certificate
I have full Professional Indemnity Insurance Cover
Training and Experience
My background experience includes working in the NHS for the past 10 years, alongside in the Higher Education Sector. My experience in the Voluntary Sector includes:
Home-Start, Leeds - visiting families in their own homes, supporting parents who often felt isolated, depressed and exhausted, struggling with the challenges that parenting brings
Noah's Ark Adults and Childrens Counselling Centre, Halifax - Delivering Counselling and Psychotherapy to the local community
Bradford Bereavement Support - Delivering Counselling and Psychotherapy to individuals who have encountered death, loss and grief
Leeds City Council - Adoption Services - Delivering Counselling & Psychotherapy to adopted clients
I attend regular Clinical Supervision and I am committed to my own Continuing Professional Development, attending relevant training and courses.
Training Courses include:
- Certificate in Mental Health First Aid
- Certificate in Hard to Help Clients in Counselling
- Certificate in Babies Brains and Bonding
- Certificate in Bereavement: Grief and Loss
- Certificate in Defense Mechanisms and their part in the Bereavement process
- Certificate: Home-Start Volunteers Preparation Course
- Certificate in Working with Couples
- Domestic Abuse Awareness
- Drugs and Alcohol Awareness
- Training in Relaxation Techniques
- Safeguarding Children and Young People Workshop
- Self Harm Work Shop
- Working with Gays, Lesbians and Transgender
- Working with Teenagers
- Working with families
- Assertiveness Training
- The Data Protection Act
- Sage & Thyme: Foundation Level Workshop: Listening and responding to people who are worried or distressed
- Unconscious Bias training - NHS
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Humanistic therapies
Individual Counselling: £40.00
Couples Counselling: £60.00
All sessions are for 50 minutes.
Cash or Cheque accepted for payment.
I realise taking the first steps to seek help can be difficult, so please feel free to call, email or text if you any any questions about my service and I will happily respond to any questions you may have. If you leave a message I will get back to you as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.
My practice is located in a safe, quiet, easily accessible building with adjacent parking. I have 3 newly refurbished counselling suites, with a reception area and toilet facitilites. Transport links via rail and bus are very good.
I am available to see clients during the day, evenings or weekends as follows:
Monday to Friday - 9:30 am to 10:00 pm
Saturday 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|