Dr Samantha Blackburn
About Dr Sam Blackburn:
I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist specialising in anxiety, trauma and managing difficult emotions (emotional regulation). I have worked in the NHS for over 10 years predominately with adults with long-standing difficulties, including personality disorders, complex PTSD, anxiety disorders, and people with difficulties managing emotions and relationships with others.
I am HCPC and BPS registered, and a member of EMDR UK.
I am also registered with Vitality Health Insurance to offer therapy.
How I work:
I am trained in a number of different evidence-based methods of therapy. I predominantly work using Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR), and Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT).
I also have a history of working with Acceptance Based Therapy (ACT), Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT), Compassionate Based Therapy, and Mentalisation Based Therapy (MBT).
My approach is person centred and the psychological approach we use will depend on your presenting difficulties and the type of therapy you are looking for. We can discuss this in an initial consultation.
What to expect on first enquiry:
Please contact me via either email, telephone or my website for an initial enquiry. Initial enquires are free of charge and there is no obligation to book an appointment. It is an opportunity to discuss your current difficulties and what might be a helpful next step. Following this I will offer you an assessment appointment to think about your difficulties further, or help you think where else you might get support.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology 2011-2014 Royal Holloway University London
- MSc Forensic Psychology 2007-2009 London Metropolitan University
- BSc Psychology (Hons) 2001-2004 Nottingham University
Continuing Professional Development:
- Mentalisation Based Therapy Training, The Anna Freud Centre, 2008
- Narrative Based Exposure Therapy Training, London Trauma Service, 2013
- EMDR Training Levels 1-4, EMDR Works, February 2016
- Level 2 Coaching, British Triathlon Federation, 2016
- Mindfulness Teacher Training, London Mindfulness Centre, August 2017
- Sport and Exercise Psychology Post-Graduate Certificate, Bristol University, 2017
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Performance related anxiety, trauma management and managing group dynamics and leadership.
I offer sessions in Central London 5 minutes walk from London Bridge station and underground.
In the first instance, I offer a free telephone consultation to discuss your questions and arrange an assessment appointment. In this appointment, we will discuss an agreed plan for any further appointments and review this regularly.
All appointments are 50 minutes and usually weekly.
Please contact me about Group Presentations/bookings as duration and price will depend on requirements.
1-1 appointments: £90
EMDR appointments: £90
Couples sessions: £140
I also offer some group based programmes on request, including MBCT and psycho-educational talks to organisations. These are dependent on peoples needs and can be delivered face to face or via the internet if required.
In addition to offering support with mental health difficulties, I also offer psychological support for performance based difficulties related to anxiety, traumatic experiences and low mood.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
There is a lift to clinic rooms but it would be difficult for wheelchair uses to access the building.
I currently have availability Thursday evenings from 6pm, or evening Skype sessions. Please enquiry about other upcoming availability.
Types of client