Rhian Gower PGDip MBACP
I am a welcoming, open-minded and fully qualified counsellor who is a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I hold profound respect for those I work with and sensitivity for the unique needs and perspectives each person brings. Sessions with me are a joint project in which we come to understand what life is like for you and what you need in order to move forward.
What brings you to counselling?
You may be struggling to keep anxiety, sadness, loneliness or depression at arm's length. Perhaps there are sides of yourself that have felt too difficult to accept. There may be a particular difficulty or anxiety you are facing or a sense that there may be more to life that you wish to explore.
It takes courage to turn towards what is troubling us and it can help to do this from within the safety of a supportive and accepting relationship.
How I work
My work is grounded in the belief that we each have the potential to work through and grow from the difficulties we face, and process even the most painful of feelings, but sometimes we need support with that.
The process of exploring in-depth what is troubling us with someone who is really listening, not just to your words but to the person behind them, can in itself be a healing process. It may also bring to light beliefs and ways of living that are holding you back.
I offer a relationship that invites a deeper connection with yourself and with the aspects of your personality and perspectives that may have been pushed to one side. My aim is to help you rediscover the resources, strengths and wisdom that are yours and that can free you up to live with greater purpose and energy.
There is a lot more I could say about who I am and what I bring to my work but more important is the impression you get of me and your gut feeling about whether I can be of help. It is for that reason that I offer a free initial consultation so you can talk through any questions or concerns and decide about arranging further sessions.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am a fully qualified counsellor with a Postgraduate Diploma in Humanistic Therapeutic Counselling with Distinction.
- Masters in Critical Theory with Distinction.
- In 2013 I was employed by a large community and voluntary sector organisation to establish a pilot project in which I provided counselling in a deprived area of Brighton. The project recently secured NHS funding and is now part of Brighton and Hove's Wellbeing Service.
- I have over fourteen years' experience of working with teenagers aged 16+.
- I have over fifteen years experience working with people in crisis.
- I previously worked as an employment-based coach for Brighton Council.
- I previously worked as a freelance counsellor for parents with a local charity.
- I currently work as a counsellor at a secondary school.
- Psychosexual Issues
- Eating Disorders
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Self Harm
- Attachment and Trauma
- Child Development
- Therapy with Trans Individuals
- Systemic Approaches to Change
- Personality Disorders
- Advanced Safeguarding for adults and children
- Creative approaches to therapy (art and sandtray)
- Diploma in Group Therapy training
- I have also delivered training in Equalities and Diversity
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Workplace and employment difficulties, including:
- bullying at work
- stress at work
- problems relating to authority
- Trauma and emotional difficulties from childhood, including:
- estrangement/strained relationships with parents
- absent parents
- growing up with parents who had mental health issues
- growing up with parents who had substance use issues
- adult survivors of Narcissistic parenting
- Health issues, including:
- autoimmune issues
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
- Loneliness, isolation, despair
- Dating, break-ups, heartbreak, polyamory
- Loss of direction and motivation
- Values, beliefs and politics
Photos & videos
I offer a free initial consultation.
My fees for counselling sessions (lasting 50 minutes): £45
Regarding the number of sessions offered, I provide short-term counselling of a few sessions and longer term work.
The room I work from is a quiet, calm and welcoming space in the Fiveways area of Brighton.
If you would like to book an initial appointment or if you have any questions you wish to ask, please don't hesitate to phone, text or email me.
- 07384 324058
Taking the step of contacting a counsellor can be daunting but you don’t have to be on your own with what you are going through.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I currently have space 9am - 3pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays
Types of client