Martina Thornley BACP Registered Counsellor PgCert CBT
Hello, I'm Tina.- welcome to my profile.
I am a professionally qualified Counsellor with many years experience working as a therapist. I am Registered with The British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) I have a Post Graduate Certificate in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, PG Cert CBT, Diploma in Counselling and Diploma in Nursing.
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" (Lao Tzu)
We all take many steps in life through the good times and the bad. The bad times can be very difficult to deal with alone on a daily basis. You may be feeling overwhelmed, distressed, not knowing how to make sense of your personal difficulties. I believe that it is very beneficial and therapeutic to talk privately to a professional therapist in confidence.
As an integrative Counsellor & Psychotherapist I incorporate Counselling, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Life Coaching techniques into my practice. I offer individual clients & couples solution focused, individualised and bespoke therapy.
This approach has proven very effective with clients experiencing depression, anxiety, health anxiety, anger management, stress, low self esteem, self confidence issues, loss of personal identity, health concerns, relationship difficulties, affairs, betrayals, family issues, bereavement, loss, domestic violence, sexual abuse, rape, kidnap...to mention a sample.
I consider myself to be a friendly, people person, with a warm and welcoming personality. Communication / interpersonal skills are my strongest assets and I believe that these enhance my professional practice when working with individual clients who are experiencing distress and personal difficulties.
I pride myself on forming rapport and collaborative therapeutic relationships with all my clients.
I view all of my clients as unique individuals within our diverse and multicultural society and if you choose to come and see me for counselling / therapy you will be treated with respect, kindness, positive regard and non-judgement.
I work with both women and men aged 18 and over.
My counselling room is located within Lambgates Health Centre, Hadfield, Glossop, SK13 1DJ:
The location offers
- Private and confidential setting
- Private therapy room
- Discrete entrance facility to promote your privacy
- Disabled access and disabled toilet facilities
- Free parking
- Easy access via public transport
- Close proximity to Tameside, Stockport and approximately 10 miles from Manchester
I offer Appointments
- Monday to Thursday 10 am to 6.00 pm
- Friday 10 am to 5.00 pm
- I offer emergency/crisis appointments
- I offer home visits
Often clients tell me that the most difficult thing for them was deciding to contact me but when they walked away from therapy, having achieved so much, they were so glad that they did.
Please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to explore any questions you may have about counselling.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a professionally qualified, registered Counsellor & Psychotherapist: Counselling Diploma and Level 7 Post Graduate Certificate in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.
Registered Member of The British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (MBACP) Membership.
As a member of the BACP my counselling practice is guided by their Ethical Framework, which outlines the values, principles and moral qualities required of professional counsellors. www.bacp.co.uk/
My counselling practice is also guided by adherence to NICE Guidelines, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. http://www.nice.org.uk/
I attend monthly supervision with a highly qualified supervisor/counsellor who is an accredited member of the BACP. Monthly supervision is a requirement of members of the BACP to safeguard and promote the best interests of clients.
I attend regular training events as part of my continuous professional development.
Events attended include;
- CBT - Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Tools for Anxiety & Depression,
- Compassion Focus Therapy
- Life Coaching
- Domestic Violence
- PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- EFT - Emotion Freedom Techniques
- BACP Registration
I am Registered with the BACP
I am currently working towards BACP Accreditation.
I aim to undertake counsellor supervision training during 2018.
- Diploma in Counselling (Dip Couns)
- Level 7 Post Graduate Certificate in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (PG Cert CBT)
- British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) Certificate of Assessment
- British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) Registered Membership
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Certificate in Counselling Concepts
- Diploma in Nursing
- Certificate in Critical Care Nursing
- Diploma in Business
Along with my private, corporate, Employee Assistance Programme, employee counselling work, I have also worked as a counsellor within the NHS at a GP surgery.
I also work as a counsellor with individuals who have survived domestic trauma, abuse, violence, sexual abuse and rape.
In my previous career, I worked for the NHS as a Staff Nurse and thoroughly enjoyed this career.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Employee Assistance Programme:
I offer individual Counselling, CBT and Life Coaching Therapy to Corporate and Small Business Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP).
Therapy is available to employees experiencing, Depression, Anxiety, Stress, Bereavement, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Domestic Violence, Anger Issues/Anger Management, Bullying, Harassment, Sexual Abuse to mention a sample.
It can also be more widely available to provide additional support to any employee who is currently off work due to personal difficulties, or any employee whose mental health and well-being could be enhanced through professional therapy.
- Face to face, comprehensive client assessment consultation lasting up to one hour
- Client assessment allows us to formulate an individual and collaborative therapy plan
- Solution-focused time limited Counselling, incorporating Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Life Coaching techniques.
- Typically 8-12 therapy sessions
- I provide therapy from my private and confidential practice within Lambgates Health Centre Hadfield, Glossop.
- Accept direct employer referrals and arrange to see the employee within 5 working days
- Work within the BACP Code of Professional Ethics and Standards
- Offer flexible appointments, booked on a weekly basis and our availability includes evenings
- Personally, see clients and do not contract out to other agencies
- I have Professional Indemnity Insurance
- I have Disclosure and Baring Service (DBS) Checks (Previously known as CRB)
Client Assessment measures offered:
- PHQ-9 Depression
- GAD-7 Anxiety
- IAPT Work and Social Adjustment Scale
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Impacts of Life Events Scale
Assessment measures are in accordance with the current National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) and Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) Guidelines.
- Initial client assessment - £50.00
- Subsequent sessions - £50.00 per session
- Written reports, including client assessment and final reports - £60 each
Please contact me if you require further details
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
The charge for an individual initial assessment consultation appointment, lasting up to 50 minutes, is £50.00.
This session will allow you to decide if counselling/therapy is suited to you and if you would like to continue.
The charge for each further 50-minute appointment is £50.00.
I ask for a cash payment to be made on the day of each session and a receipt will be given if required.
Concessionary rates will be considered for Counselling trainees and NUS students with proof of status.
I thoroughly enjoy my work as a counsellor with each unique individual client that comes to see me.
I feel very privileged when I sit with my clients and listen to them talk about their painful and distressing difficulties.
I would welcome you to attend counselling / therapy if you are experiencing difficulties in your life and I look forward to working with you.
Please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to explore any counselling questions / queries with you.
Thank you for taking the time to read my profile & I look forward to meeting you.
I believe it is good to talk
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer appointments form 10 am to 7 pm Monday to Thursday. Friday 10 am to 5 pm. I will try to accommodate emergency, crisis appointments as soon as possible. I offer home visits.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|