Marian Stapley MBACP (Accred)
I offer a counselling service to adults experiencing feelings of anxiety, stress, loss, depression and isolation. My practice is in Westergate and is within easy reach of Chichester, Barnham, Fontwell, Arundel, Bognor and surrounding areas. If you are unable to travel to me for face to face counselling and during Covid-19 restrictions, I also offer sessions ONLINE, via TELEPHONE and WALK & TALK SESSIONS.
HOW I CAN HELP YOU
Your story matters and I am here to listen to whatever you want to say - in a peaceful and safe environment we can work effectively together in a respectful, open and trusting relationship, exploring whatever issues you are experiencing. Working at your pace, I will listen, support and offer you the space to express yourself openly and honestly. I will help you feel less stressed and anxious and more able to cope with whatever issues are challenging you right now. Your mental health will improve and you will become more empowered so that you feel more in control to make decisions that are right for you.
HOW COUNSELLING CAN HELP YOU
Life can be stressful and challenging, especially when we have to cope with difficult relationships, or experience depression, anxiety or panic, isolation, illness, redundancy or any of the other issues that may affect our wellbeing. Developing a trusting, therapeutic relationship with a counsellor can help find the tools and strategies required to help with these types of issues and gain a greater understanding of who we are.
Organising counselling can sometimes be overwhelming but by following a few easy steps you can contact me and be on your counselling journey in no time, at your pace and without added stress:
- Telephone or email me to set up an initial session - we will talk about you and what you want to get out of counselling
- If you are happy to continue - we will set up a second session at a mutually convenient time, and then arrange to future weekly/fortnightly sessions if you are still happy to continue.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
I trained as a Humanistic counsellor at the University of Chichester and work in a confidential, non-judgemental and sensitive way.
I have worked as a counsellor since 2012 and have gained extensive experience working with two local charities. I offer counselling to the elderly and adults with limited mobility. In addition, I work with patients, carers and family members who have received a diagnosis of cancer and Motor Neuron Disease (MND).
I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist ( British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy), which means I am a fully insured, professionally qualified, well trained and experienced counsellor.
I adhere to the ethical code of conduct of the BACP and have regular supervision to ensure a high standard of professional practice.
TIME OF COUNSELLING SESSIONS
I am available for counselling sessions:
- Monday to Friday: 8am -9pm
- Counselling can be on a short-term, time-limited and open-ended basis.
ACCESS AND PARKING
- Driveway and on-street parking available
- Bus stops serving Littlehampton, Arundel, Barnham, Bognor, Tangmere, Chichester within an easy 5 minute walk
- Barnham railway station, distance 1 mile approx
The counselling room is easily accessible via the garden and has one small step into the room.
ONLINE COUNSELLING is available via a secure and confidential online platform (ZOOM)
TELEPHONE COUNSELLING and WALK & TALK COUNSELLING is also available.
HOME VISITS - by arrangement
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Humanistic Counselling, University of Chichester
- Certificate of Proficiency - the BACP accredited voluntary register
- Transactional Analysis TA 101
- Somatic Orientation and Treatment Training for Therapists - Prevention of re-traumatisation
- Creative Arts Approach to Life Story Work
- Certificate Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy
- Certificate in Online and Telephone Counselling
Other Short Training Courses:
- Sand Tray Therapy
- Working with Disability
- Drum Therapy
- Shame and the Body
- Grief and Loss
- Working with Dementia
- Setting up an ethical private practice
- Erotic Transference and Counter-Transference in Counselling
- Dependency in Counselling
- Exploring Loss
- Working with Body Storylines
- The Expanding Toolkits
- Safeguarding within a Counselling Practice
- Sleep Disturbance
- Exploring Sexuality and Gender
- Working with Bereavement
- Working with Addiction
- Mindfulness and Focusing Workshop
- Couples Counselling Toolkit
- Working with Dissociative Disorders
- Trauma and the Body
- Working with Relational Trauma: Dealing with Disorganised Attachment
- Dealing with Distress: Working with suicide and self-harm
- Working with Shame
- Human Resources
- CIPD level 3 - Certificate in Personnel Practice
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
From £40.00 to £60.00
Free initial telephone session
Concessions offered for
Initial 20 minute telephone consultation free of charge to discuss how we could work effectively together.
In-Person, Online or Telephone £40 per 50-minute session.
Walk & Talk £50 per 50-minute session.
Home visits £50/£60 per 50-minute session.
I am open to negotiation for clients on benefits or a low income, depending on your circumstances.
Mon - Fri: 8am to 8pm
All emails and telephone messages will be answered as soon as possible, normally within 4 hours
WHAT CLIENTS SAY
'My sessions with Marian have offered me valuable space to reflect on the challenges I have faced with serious illness, changes at work and caring for teenage children and elderly parents; her calm, wise questioning has allowed me to nurture the positive voice in my head, enabling me to answer my own questions and smooth the path I'm travelling on'. D
'Marian offers a warm, professional service. I'd highly recommend anyone to give it a try, it's fantastic for the soul' C