Jo Oates. HE Dip Counselling. Accred reg BACP member.
Sometimes life can feel harder or more complicated, and your usual ways of coping are no longer effective. I offer a safe environment and a warm non judgemental relationship which creates a space to help you reflect, understand your thoughts and feelings, increase your awareness of what has or is happening and explore your options. Working together we can increase the capacity for personal change and to feel more in control of your life.
Within our sessions we can also help you understand why you feel like you do, draw from early life experiences or events which may have created unhelpful cycles or patterns in your life. The strength of our working relationship determines the success of counselling and in my experience people are more likely to get to the root of their issues if they can feel trust and be accepted for who they are. I believe you are the expert on yourself and your life but sometimes we need someone to help us reflect and think more clearly for a period of time. I respect that all of us are individuals and all have diverse and different experiences, feelings and beliefs and I draw from the different theories I have learnt during my training to find the right approach for you.
My philosophy is that everyone has potential, meaning that change and personal growth is always possible. I have experience of working with many different presenting and underlying issues which can manifest in many ways. At our initial meeting we can discuss how we might work together, carry out an assessment of your needs and an indication of how we might proceed. I offer short and long term counselling, which can also be discussed at our first session.
I am a qualified Therapeutic Counsellor and am Accredited and Registered with the BACP (The British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists)
My back ground is in child development and working with children and families in stressful and traumatic circumstances. My counselling training then led me to work with young adults in University settings and now with adults in my private practice in Bingley and also in the NHS in local GP’s surgeries.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have over 10 years of counselling experience working with people through difficult times in their lives. I offer a safe confidential environment and a warm and non judgemental approach.
I have over four years experience as a clinical supervisor and have worked with trainees, newly qualified counsellors through to very experienced practitioners. Also supporting therapists through their accreditation application.
- Diploma in Transactional Analysis. The TA Training Organisation (currently).
- Foundation Certificate in Transactional Analysis. The TA Training Organisation.
- Counselling for Depression/ Emotion Focused Therapy. York St Johns university (2016).
- Diploma in Counselling Supervision. Leeds Centre for Psychological Development (2015).
- BACP Accreditation (2014).
- HE Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling. Leeds Metropolitan University (2010).
- Transactional Analysis 101. Bradford University (2009).
- Certificate in Counselling Skills. Park Lane College (2006).
- Diploma in Childhood Studies. Shipley College (2000).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
Counselling: £40 per hour.
Supervision: £45 per hour or £65 for one a half hours.
What counselling does
- Provides a therapeutic relationship which allows the space to enable change.
- Helps us become more aware of what we learn and experience in childhood and how this shapes the way we relate to ourselves and others.
- Understand negative thought processes and cycles of depression.
- Having space to explore what is causing a problem.
- Increase your awareness of underlying issues.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer day time and some evening appointments
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I provide individual Humanistic Integrative supervision to counselling practitioners from all disciplines and I am very happy for you to contact me to have a discussion about your supervision requirements.View supervision profile