Helen Smith MBACP South Somerset CounsellingServices
I have many years of experience being alongside people who are struggling with life or suffering mental ill health. I also work at a local surgery so am extremely knowledgeable with diversity and wide-ranging needs. I provide highly skilled talking therapy which is individually structured and has proven effective in making deep-seated change; tapping into the very roots of how and why we are.
Who do I help?
I am skilled in counselling individuals as well as couples and am trained to work with younger people and much older clients too of which I have years of experience. I trained and worked with CRUSE bereavement so am very knowledgeable in managing grief and loss of many kinds including trauma and loss through suicide, loss of health and loved ones including loss related to illness such as dementia and becoming a carer, relationship problems, family struggles, infertility and childlessness, fear and anxiety, abuse and addictions.
Where will the sessions take place?
I have a healing space at home in a comfortable private and peaceful country setting. We will work together gently discovering the keys to unlocking and developing your self worth and expanding and connecting with living and being whilst feeling safe and supported.
I am also able to make home visits particularly for those struggling to get out for whatever reason, often disability or agoraphobia.
I also offer telephone/Skype counselling which is proving to be very effective particularly for those who live further away and struggle to travel or have issues around time.
How do I work?
I work in a gentle person-centred way where you will feel a sense of warmth and trust in relating so enabling you to move forward at your own pace in a way that feels manageable and empowering.
The introductory session on the phone is free to come and discover for yourself...
How do I get in touch?
If you have any questions about therapy or would like to make an appointment, then I welcome you to either give me a call or text on 07970580933 or click here to send me an email.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 15 years experience in working in mental health and currently in practice at a surgery as part of a professional team
- Specialist knowledge of the needs of carers and very experienced with older person's mental health and dementia
- Higher Diploma in Counselling and continued specialist trainings
- Specialist Bereavement training and over 6 years experience in Bereavement counselling including Sudden and traumatic death, Loss through Suicide and Complex and Compounded grief which often covers many years/many losses
- Specialist training to work with younger people in grief
- Continued ongoing training and professional development-Mindfulness 8 week study/practice, ASIST Suicide Prevention training
- Able to provide a mobile service; visiting individuals in the comfort of their own home
- Working to BACP Ethical framework
- Registered with BACP-British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists and now in process of completing Accreditation after over 750 hours in practice
- Specialist Couples Counselling training [ ongoing ] with the Mary Clegg Clinic
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Panic attacks
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Over 16 years of work with an older person's mental health and the needs of carers and specialising in work in the community.
Over 5 years of experience in bereavement counselling.
I have received extra training to work with children and young people in grief and more recently specialist training to work with couples in crisis who may be struggling in their relationship.
Photos & videos
- Free introductory session via the telephone.
- 40.00 per 50 min session for individuals.
- 55.00 per session for couples.
- Reduced rates for those on low incomes and benefits as well as students in training.
- Travel costs at 0.40 per mile.
If you have any questions about therapy or would like to make an appointment, be it in my private practice, a home visit or a session online, then I welcome you to either give me a call or text on 07970580933 or click here to send me an email.
I am experienced in providing specialist skilled support work utilising my counselling awareness for those who feel unable to leave their homes and socialise. I work in a very gentle person-centred therapeutic way with people struggling with anxiety, fear, agoraphobia and memory problems, successfully providing and enabling clients to gradually build their inner strength and confidence enabling socialising and accessing the community often joining groups and establishing friendships.
Where appropriate I have used my dogs and horses, walking and nature, appreciation of art and music [ singing too] and cookery in a safe creative and homely environment. Clients have made connections and discovered inner contentment and empowerment. I have appreciated being able to help in making a real difference in people's lives; enabling them to reconnect both with themselves and with the community.
I have over 16 years of experience in this kind of work.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Some French and Spanish|
I believe in being flexible to my client's needs and can offer home visits and telephone counselling which can prove even more effective particularly those struggling with availability
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|