Helen Smith. MBACP. Higher Dip Counselling-Mobile service available
I have many years of experience being alongside people who are struggling with life or suffering mental ill health.I also work at a local surgery so am extremely knowledgeable with diversity and wide ranging needs. I provide highly skilled talking therapy which is individually structured and has proven effective in making deep seated change ; tapping into to the very roots of how and why we are. I have a healing space at home in a comfortable private and peaceful country setting .We will work together gently discovering the keys to unlocking and developing your self worth and expanding and connecting with living and being whilst feeling safe and supported.
I am skilled in counselling individuals as well as couples. I am highly experienced in working with grief and loss of many kinds including trauma and loss through suicide,loss of health and loved one to dementia,relationship problems, family struggles,infertility and childlessness,illness and the struggle of becoming a carer in a relationship,fear and anxiety,abuse and addictions.
I work in a gentle person- centred way where you will feel a sense of warmth and trust in relating so enabling you to move forward at your own pace in a way that feels manageable and empowering
I am also able to make home visits particularly for those struggling to get out for whatever reason,often disability or agoraphobia.
I also offer telephone/Skype counselling which is proving to be very effective particularly for those who live further away and struggle to travel or have issues around time.
The first session is free to come and discover for yourself
Training, qualifications & experience
- 15 years experience in working in mental health and currently in practice at a surgery as part of a professional team
- Specialist knowledge of the needs of carers and very experienced with older person's mental health and dementia
- Higher Diploma in Counselling and continued specialist trainings
- Specialist Bereavement training and over 6 years experience in Bereavement counselling including Sudden and traumatic death, Loss through Suicide and Complex and Compounded grief which often covers many years/many losses
- Specialist training to work with younger people in grief
- Continued ongoing training and professional development-Mindfulness 8 week study/practice, ASIST Suicide Prevention training
- Able to provide a mobile service; visiting individuals in the comfort of their own home
- Working to BACP Ethical framework
- Registered with BACP-British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists and now in process of completing Accreditation after over 750 hours in practice
- Specialist Couples Counselling training [ ongoing ] with the Mary Clegg Clinic
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Over 16 years of work with older person's mental health and the needs of carers and specialising in work in the community.
Over 5 years experience in bereavement counselling
I have received extra training to work with children and young people in grief and more recently specialist training to work with couples in crisis who maybe struggling in their relationship.
- Free introductory session via the telephone
- 40.00 hour individuals 55.00 for couples
- Reduced rates for those on low income
- Travel costs at 0.40 per mile
I am experienced in providing specialist skilled support work utilising my counselling awareness for those who feel unable to leave their homes and socialise.I work in a very gentle person-centred therapeutic way with people struggling with anxiety,fear,agoraphobia and memory problems, successfully providing and enabling clients to gradually build their inner strength and confidence enabling socialising and accessing the community often joining groups and establishing friendships.
Where appropriate I have used my dogs and horses,walking and nature,appreciation of art and music [ singing too] and cookery in a safe creative and homely environment.Clients have made connections and discovered an inner contentment and empowerment.I have appreciated being able to help in making a real difference in people's lives;enabling them to reconnect both with themselves and with the community.
I have over 16 years of experience in this kind of work.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Some French and Spanish|
I believe in being flexible to my client's needs and so can make a time to suit or can make a home visit
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|