Caroline Raw BABCP Accred. Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, EMDR Therapist
I am a BABCP accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapist with over 10 years' experience of working in the NHS supporting people to learn ways to manage emotional and physical health difficulties. I have worked with people struggling to cope with depression, generalised anxiety, social anxiety, phobias, health anxiety, panic attacks, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and low self-esteem. More recently I have specialised in supporting people to adapt to long term health conditions and live valued lives, despite the challenges they face (such as adapting to life with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, chronic pain, IBS or following an injury or illness).
I offer a supportive, warm, non-judgmental and compassionate space to help you to explore and understand how your difficulties have developed and work with you to learn strategies to cope so that you can work towards living a life that matters to you.
Therapies that I offer:
I work with each person individually using a variety of therapeutic approaches and tailor make sessions to work towards your goals. Below is a brief description of these approaches; please contact me should you wish to discuss these in more detail or if you have any questions.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT); looking at how our thoughts, emotions, physical sensations and behaviours interact and influence each other, sometimes in unhelpful ways, and learning strategies to cope differently
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy; exploring what matters to you as a person (what you value in life) and helping you to do more of what matters, despite any challenges
- Compassion Focused Therapy; helping you to develop your ability to be kinder and more compassionate towards yourself and others
- Mindfulness; we can all spend too much time thinking about the past or worrying about the future. Mindfulness supports us to be more present in the here and now
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR); helping our minds and bodies move on from difficult and traumatic experiences by supporting our natural ability to process and make sense of the difficult events we have encountered. I am a registered member of the EMDR UK association.
- Pain and Fatigue management strategies (for example pacing activity) with a particular focus on overcoming what gets in the way of implementing these strategies
I am passionate about supporting people to be the best version of themselves. I strongly believe that if working through problems was that easy, we would have all figured it out already on our own. I feel that everyone can benefit from psychological therapy at times to help them to move forwards.
How helpful is psychological therapy?
Both CBT and EMDR can be very effective therapies and as such, are recommended by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). CBT is recommended for the treatment of a wide range of emotional and physical health difficulties and EMDR is currently recommended for the treatment of post traumatic stress disorder, however, it can also be effective for a wide range of emotional difficulties.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc Psychology
- MSc Health Psychology
- Post Graduate Certificate in Improving Access to Psychological Therapies: Low Intensity Psychological Therapies
- Post Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Re-processing (EMDR) Europe Accredited Training
I regularly attend training events to keep me up to date and ensure I continue to learn in order to provide the best care to the clients I work with. I also attend regular, specialist supervision.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists.
BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Due to coronavirus I am currently offering sessions via telephone or video conference (e.g. Skype/Zoom). Each session is charged at £60 and lasts up to one hour. For insurance or other referrals, please contact me directly to discuss these further.
I offer a range of appointments over the course of the week. Please contact me to discuss your requirements.
I offer a free initial telephone consultation - please contact me directly on 07495515343 or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange a convenient time to speak. Please do get in touch if you have any questions or want to learn more.