Audrey Cooper (BSc, MBACP)
* * * Please note that due to the Coronavirus outbreak, I am currently only offering Skype (Zoom) or telephone sessions for clients. These sessions are remarkably effective and a great alternative to being the same room. Outdoor therapy also available if suitable. Please contact me to find out more * * *
Hello and welcome to my page! Please take some time to read about me and if you feel that you would like to work with me, please feel free to get in touch! I offer a free phone conversation of up to 30 minutes..
I am a professional and experienced counsellor and hold an advanced Level 5 diploma in psychotherapeutic counselling. I have been in practice since 2013.
I work with a wide range of life issues, such as
- depression and feelings of sadness
- stress and anxiety
- relationship issues
- work / career related stress
- issues of shame and blame
- family issues
- low self-esteem
- poor body image
- lack of confidence
- autonomic nervous system understanding
- plus much more
Do you have regular thoughts about not being good enough? Or do you wish you didn't feel that there's something wrong with you? Perhaps you have a need to be perfect. These are all patterns which can be worked through in counselling... giving you a greater sense of ease, feeling more connected to your true self and reducing symptoms of anxiety, stress, depression.
I offer a holistic approach to therapy - taking into consideration the link between your mind, body, emotion and your nervous system. I am trained with Deb Dana to work with fight, flight and freeze responses (Dr Stephen Porges polyvagal theory). These are everyday experiences for all of us - and can be particularly problematic for people with trauma in their history.
I believe in nurturing a clients sense of strength rather than from feelings of weakness. I am a calm, gentle and caring practitioner, and offer respect and integrity in my work. Bottling up emotions can work in the short term, but eventually it becomes time to process painful thoughts, feelings and experiences - in order to move on.
I work on a short term (6 sessions) or longer term which can be a year or more - or anywhere in between according to your needs. I have a collaborative approach and openly discuss what type of therapy you feel may suit you best at any given time.
Going to a counsellor at any time in life can feel daunting. Often the initial reaching out is the hardest step to take. Clients frequently wonder why they waited for so long before having some counselling as it offers such valuable space to offload and gain perspective.
My training and interest can support you to:
- gain clarity with the issues you face
- gain new perspectives and understanding of your situation to help you move forward
- identify and change limiting thoughts and patterns that may be holding you back in life
- feel more empowered
- gain a greater sense of compassion towards yourself
- feel more knowledgeable about the link between body, mind and emotions
- become more aware of feelings and emotions and how to manage them
- explore how your past is impacting your present
- understand how your fight/flight/freeze responses impact your emotions (based on Dr Stephen Porges Polyvagal Theory work on the importance of the vagus nerve)
- learn more about your psychological processes to empower you to make change
I am trained in:
- person centred therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- mindfulness-based psychotherapy
- Sand Tray therapy - a method to bring more awareness to life issues
- Walk and Talk therapy - taking clients into the great outdoors (after assessment for suitability)
- Food and mood - I can offer support with dietary changes to support mental health and wellbeing
- Rhythm of Regulation (Deb Dana - Polyvagal theory in Therapy) (fight, flight and freeze responses to threat) see for more info
Training, qualifications & experience
Initial Training: (Heartwood Training, Dartington)
- Level 2 Certificate (CPCAB) in Counselling Skills (2011)
- Level 3 Certificate (CPCAB) in Counselling Studies (2011)
- Level 4 Diploma (CPCAB) in Therapeutic Counselling (2013)
- Person Centred Therapy, Creative Techniques, CBT
Advanced Training: (Lotus Training, Plymouth)
- Level 5 Diploma (CPCAB) in Psychotherapeutic Counselling (2019)
- Mindfulness in Therapy, Attachment, Working at depth
Recent Professional Development Courses Undertaken:
- Sand Tray Therapy Certificate (2018)
- Walk and Talk Therapy Certificate (2018)
- Mindfulness (2018)
- Functional Food Coaching for Mental Health (2018)
- Single Session Therapy (2019)
- Rhythm of Regulation with Deb Dana (2019)
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Sessions are £45 per hour.
Please contact me for more information and availability. Free 20 minute telephone conversation to discuss what you are looking for before starting online sessions.
I am a qualified adult education teacher with experience teaching counselling skills and personal development.
I am able to offer group work and classes in personal development / psychoeducation. Please contact me for further info.