Child and Adolescent Therapist
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Hi there my name is Amy Fleming I am a registered Child and Adolescent Therapist with 23 years of experience in supporting children, young people and their families through very difficult situations. The therapies I offer are:
- Play Therapy (children and young people 3 -18 years) offers a safe space to share strengths, struggles, worries and experiences through play. Adults can often talk about their worries but children and young people do not always have the words to do the same. Through the use of toys, art, sand, role play or talk if they want to your child can explore what is going on for them and work with myself to develop healthy coping strategies to help them move forward in life.
- Group Play Therapy - involves bringing together up to 4 children or young people who are struggling to make and keep friendships. Within the small group your child can be supported to experience the highs and lows of friendships, helping them to develop new skills to cope with the reality of social interactions.
- Adolescent Therapy - adolescents require therapy which incorporates different techniques and strategies' which are suitable for their age and stage of development. I am able to offer sessions which involve creative techniques such as sand tray work, art, clay and sport which can support young people to express themselves in an artistic way. If this is not suitable I can use behavioural and cognitive techniques to help them address very specific issues in therapy.
- Family Work - it is often recognised that individual therapy for children or adolescents is not the only way to help them with problems they may face. A combination of therapeutic sessions with parents, children and adolescents can be much more helpful in certain situations and my aim is to really tailor the services I offer to best meet the needs of you and your family.
- Parenting Support - offers parents time to think about how it is to be a parent, looking at what is going well in your family but also identifying what is not. From there we can look at trying different strategies which will help to get your family life back on track.
- Walk and Talk service - it can be difficult to sit in a room with a therapist, so this option gives you the chance to talk in a less direct and threatening way. Research shows us that even brief exposure to the countryside and nature can have a profound effect on your well being. The location of my practice in the countryside allows me to offer this very unique service to adolescents and parents.
I am a very down to earth, warm and caring person who is skilled at engaging with children and young people at their level. I work from a strengths based approach and aim to have you and your child feeling strong and confident about the way forward when you leave a session.I am happy to use directive or non-directive techniques during play therapy sessions it really depends on what you and your child feel comfortable with. Therapy should always be tailored to an individuals needs and I am happy to discuss these with you. I feel passionately about helping children and young people to develop the strengths they need to cope in the world today.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have over 23 years of experience in working with children, young people, parents and carers in a variety of settings supporting them with issues of trauma, abuse and attachment. I have further experience in supporting clients with stress, anxiety, sexual exploitation, disability, friendship skills, expression of emotions, bereavement, self-esteem, illness and identity. I have a particular interest in the latest cutting-edge research into brain development, which tells us what works for children and young people in relation to therapy and treatment. This knowledge is always incorporated into my assessments and practice.
My qualifications are as follows;
- Diploma in Play Therapy
- Certificate in Child Protection Studies
- BA in Social Work
- Diploma in Social Work (Original qualification)
- International Trauma Conference - Bruce Perry and Dan Hughes (training in September 2020)
- 2 Day Trauma informed practice - Trauma Recovery Centre
- Neuroscience Psychotherapy Reading Group - NHS (NSCAP)
- Brain development and trauma - Bruce Perry
- Introduction to Filial Therapy - Rise Van Fleet
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Therapeutic practice issues
- Life Story Work with Children
- Solution Focused Therapy
Finally I would like to mention that throughout my years as a therapist I have seen the most significant improvements in mental health for children and young people when I was able to work closely with parents and carers alongside the young person in therapy, this is something I am keen to continue to offer as part of my therapeutic service.
My regulatory body is The British Association of Play Therapists (BAPT)
British Association of Play Therapists (BAPT)
The British Association of Play Therapists was founded in 1992 by a group of now respected practitioners who introduced and pioneered Play Therapy within Britain. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Play Therapy £65 (50 minute session).
Home Visit £40 (1 hour)
Initial meeting with parents/carers - £50 (1 hour)
Meeting attendance £50 (1 hour)
Group Play Therapy - £30 per child per week (50 minute group session)
Parenting Support sessions - £50 (50 minutes)
Walk and Talk (for parents or adolescents) £50 (50 minutes)
When I work
Monday - 5-7pm
Tuesday 5 - 7pm
Wednesday 9am - 7pm
Thursday 9am -7pm
Saturday 9 -12noon