Jon Edge, MSc, MA, UKCP Registered Psychotherapist
- Counselling and psychotherapy for people working in media, performance and the creative arts. I have experience of helping hundreds of people from these professions
- Counselling for confidence - clients presenting with avoidant personality symptoms, social anxiety, self-consciousness and low self-esteem
- Psychotherapy for depression and related mood disorders
- General counselling and psychotherapy: details below will show my other specialisms, and interests
The Training, Qualifications and Experience section below shows the extent and depth of my experience, training and expertise. I have a wealth of clinical experience across thirty six years - in private practice, in higher education, and in the NHS.
Choosing a therapist is no easy task. Feel totally confident in making a self-referral to my practice - or in making an enquiry to talk to me about your current concerns. You'll find me straightforward, honest, friendly and professional.
Training, qualifications & experience
UKCP Registered psychotherapist
BACP Registered counsellor
Full Professional Member of the Guild of Psychotherapists where I trained as a psychotherapist; graduated 1995
Registrant of the Council for Psychoanalysis and Jungian Analysis College
M.Sc in Psychodynamic Counselling (Birkbeck College, London University) 2000
Certificate in Student Counselling (Birkbeck College,London University) 1986
Diploma in Student Counselling (Birkbeck College)1988
Advanced Diploma in Counselling Practice (Birkbeck College) 1989
B.Sc Hons Psychology, Goldsmiths College, University of London 1980-2
Principal Adult Psychotherapist, King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (2002-11)
University Counsellor at the University of Essex 1988 - 1991
Lecturer in psychology and psycho-social studies, City University (1996-2006)
Tutor in Counselling, Birkbeck College (1988-2005)
Tutor in Counselling, Goldsmiths College (2004-2007)
Tutor in Counselling, Mary Ward Centre (2006-2008)
M.A. in English (Goldsmiths' College, London University) 1982
B.Ed. Hons (Institute of Education, London) First Class/Distinction in teaching practice, 1976
37 years experience of running my own counselling and psychotherapy private practice
10 years experience as an NHS Psychotherapist - Kings College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London
33 years experience as a supervisor for qualified and trainee counsellors and psychotherapists.
Counselling Supervisor Experience:
- for undergraduates on the Goldsmiths' College counselling courses
- for counsellors on placement in the Counselling and Psychotherapy Department of Kings' College Hospital
- in the Epilepsy Department of Kings' College Hospital
- for counsellors on placement in the South London and Maudsley IAPT NHS Trust
- for a broad range of clinicians self-referring to my private practice
Private Tutor in Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy for undergraduates of the Birkbeck College MSc programme.
Founding Director of Psychotherapy for Healthcare Limited;
Founding Director of Counselling for Creative Professionals
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
The following gives an indication of the kind of clients and presenting issues with which I have substantial experience and expertise.
- counselling and psychotherapy for professionals in media, performance and the creative arts
- counselling for confidence - clients presenting with avoidant symptoms, social anxiety, self-consciousness and low self-esteem
- counselling and psychotherapy for people with acute or chronic health conditions
- counselling for relationship issues
- counselling for anxiety disorders
- psychotherapy for survivors of abuse
- counselling and psychotherapy for depression
- counselling for bereavement
- counselling for avoidant personality disorder and related symptoms
£70.00 per session
Individual Counselling and Psychotherapy sessions: £70 (I may have some reduced fee vacancies)
Fees for clinical supervision, tuition, presentations or lectures: please contact me for details.
Afternoons and evenings - depending on current vacancies. Some weekend appointments may be available.
I have three locations for my private practice: London SE1, SE6, and W1.
Please note: at present I am working from my SE6 location. To check viable travel to my practice, please see below or Google SE6 2BX
- SE1 Practice: 47 Nelson Square SE1 0QA, close to Waterloo stations and Southwark underground.
- SE6 Practice: close to Lewisham Hospital. Nearest Mainline stations Catford, Catford Bridge and Ladywell mainline stations, or short bus journey from mainline and DLR Lewisham stations. Off-street parking available
- W1 Practice: Harley Street or Wimpole Street (on two different days - ask for details)