Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
Specialist counselling and psychotherapy for professionals working in media, theatre, dance, music, performance, visual and creative arts.
- Current psychotherapist and counsellor for the Royal Shakespeare Company
- Counselling for confidence - clients presenting with avoidant personality symptoms, social anxiety, self-consciousness and low self-esteem
- Counselling/psychotherapy for performance anxiety, work inhibitions, creativity blocks, workplace conflict and stress
- Counselling/psychotherapy for depression, anxiety and related mood disorders
- General counselling and psychotherapy: details below will show my other specialisms, interests and experience
LOW-COST TUITION AND MENTORING IN COUNSELLING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY UP TO MASTERS LEVEL. Contact me to discuss.
The Training, Qualifications and Experience section below shows the extent, depth and duration of my experience, training, qualifications and expertise. I have a wealth of clinical experience across thirty seven years - in private practice, in higher education, and in the NHS.
Training, qualifications & experience
UKCP Registered psychotherapist
BACP Registered counsellor
Full Professional Member of the Guild of Psychotherapists where I trained as a psychotherapist; graduated 1995
Full Professional Member and Registrant of the Council for Psychoanalysis and Jungian Analysis College
M.Sc in Psychodynamic Counselling (Birkbeck College, London University) 2000
One-year introduction to counselling, (WPF, London. 1977)
Certificate in Student Counselling (Birkbeck College,London University) 1986
Diploma in Student Counselling (Birkbeck College) 1988
Advanced Diploma in Counselling Practice (Birkbeck College) 1989
Psychotherapy Training: The Guild of Psychotherapists, London, 1990-1995
B.Sc Hons Psychology, Goldsmiths College, University of London 1980-2
Principal Adult Psychotherapist, King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (2002-11)
University Counsellor at the University of Essex 1988 - 1991
Lecturer in psycho-social studies, City University (1996-2006)
Visiting Lecturer at St. Bartholomews Hospital, London (1996 -2006)
Tutor in Counselling, Birkbeck College (1988-2005)
Tutor in Counselling, Goldsmiths College (2004-2007)
Tutor in Counselling, Mary Ward Centre, London (2006-2008)
M.A. in English (Goldsmiths' College, London University) 1982
B.Ed. Hons (Institute of Education, London) First Class/Distinction in teaching practice, 1976
38 years experience of running my own counselling and psychotherapy private practice
10 years experience as an NHS Psychotherapist - Kings College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London
35 years experience as a supervisor for qualified and trainee counsellors and psychotherapists.
Psychotherapist and counsellor for the Royal Shakespeare Company
Counselling Supervisor Experience:
- for undergraduates on the Goldsmiths' College counselling courses
- for counsellors on placement in the Counselling and Psychotherapy Department of Kings' College Hospital
- in the Epilepsy Department of Kings' College Hospital
- for counsellors on placement in the South London and Maudsley IAPT NHS Trust
- for a broad range of clinicians self-referring to my private practice
Private Tutor and Mentor in Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy for undergraduates of the Birkbeck College MSc programme.
Founding Co-Director of Psychotherapy for Healthcare Limited
Founding Director of Counselling for Creative Professionals
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
The following gives an indication of the kind of clients and presenting issues with which I have substantial experience and expertise.
- counselling and psychotherapy for professionals in media, performance and the creative arts
- counselling for confidence - clients presenting with avoidant symptoms, social anxiety, self-consciousness and low self-esteem
- counselling and psychotherapy for people with acute or chronic health conditions
- counselling for relationship issues
- counselling for anxiety disorders
- psychotherapy for survivors of abuse
- counselling and psychotherapy for depression
- counselling for bereavement
- counselling for avoidant personality disorder and related symptoms
£65.00 - £110.00
- I may have a reduced fee vacancy for ongoing therapy.
- Assessment for Counselling or Psychotherapy (75 minute session): £95
- Individual Counselling and Psychotherapy sessions: Fee range £65 - £110 per session.
- Fees for clinical supervision: contact me for details
- Tuition, mentoring, presentations, workshops, lectures: contact me for details and fees
When I work
Monday - Friday: mornings, afternoons and evenings. Saturday morning appointments may be available. Flexible arrangements made for those working in creative and media industries.
I have three locations for my private practice: London SE1, SE6, and W1.
Please note: at present I am working from my SE6 location.
- SE1 Practice: 47 Nelson Square SE1 0QA, close to Waterloo stations and Southwark underground.
- SE6 Practice: close to Lewisham Hospital. Nearest Mainline stations Catford, Catford Bridge and Ladywell mainline stations, or short bus journey from mainline and DLR Lewisham stations. Off-street parking available
- W1 Practice: Harley Street or Wimpole Street (on two different days - ask for details)