Dr Stella Compton Dickinson
I am ACAT accredited Therapist and Supervisor, UKCP, BACP Reg Psychotherapist and HCPC Reg Music Therapist with a doctoral research degree in arts based cognitive analytic therapy.
I offer brief and longer term counselling and psychotherapy for a whole range of psychological problems with creative solutions;
I take referrals and work closely with several consultants who specialise in the psychological care of people who have undergone cancer treatment, also those who are suffering with anxiety and/or depression.
· Relational Difficulties,
· Work Related Stress Anxiety And Depression
· LGBT and Transgender Issues
· Cancer Patient Post Surgery
· Anger Management
· Eating Disorders
Professionals working in medicine, science, law and media as well as Mums, Dads and troubled adolescents have all benefited from courses of therapy. I provide training therapies and supervision for psychologist trainees, arts therapists psychotherapists, doctors and nurses.
Training, qualifications & experience
BACP Registered, Accredited by the Standards of Health and Social Care.
UKCP Registered Psychotherapist
ACAT Accredited Practitioner..
Member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists No.606329
Healthcare Professions (HCPC) registered Music Therapist.
Approved BUPA Provider and with all Health Insurance Companies.
BAPAM Approved Provider to treat Performing Artists.
Awards and Education:
· 2016 The Ruskin Medal awarded for the most impactful doctoral research.
· Honorary Fellow and Member of The Institute of Mental Health Nottingham,
· Highly Commended for the‘ Valuing Difference Award’ for providing services for Black and Ethnic Minority Patients, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust 2004
· Fellow of The Royal Society of Arts.
· PhD Anglia Ruskin University with the Health Economics Department, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience
· MSc Mental Health Studies; Guys' and St Thomas' Medical School, Kings College London
· Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Post Graduate Diploma in Music Therapy
· Royal Academy of Music. LRAM; ARAM
Continuous professional development
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Dependent personality disorder
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Can help with spiritual dilemmas and crises within the psychotherapeutic context.
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Humanistic therapies
Photos & videos
I have a sliding scale of payments depending on circumstances, ranging from £80 for low income to £120. The latter if gross income is above£40,000. Terms and conditions are available at www.northlondonpsychotherapy.net
Rather than delivering a prescriptive treatment I assess and treat each client as unique, with specific needs, which together we can identify and clarify.
I take a non-judgemental, broad minded, empathic and compassionate approach, working within the structured cognitive analytic (CAT) approach, which has been clinically tested in NHS Services. This may include integrative aspects of trauma –based therapy, psychodynamic, cognitive behavioural (CBT)and evidence-based arts therapies techniques.
I have twenty years of NHS experience as a Clinical Research Lead and Head of Department, and over the past decade I have established a private psychotherapy service in which my clients’ problems are frequently resolved over a cost-effective, time-limited treatment. I take self- referrals, as well and referrals from top consultants in cancer care and private psychiatric healthcare.
I am registered with all leading healthcare insurance companies. I also receive referrals through the British Association of Performing Arts Medicine( BAPAM) specialising in the performing artists who suffer various forms of performance anxiety or depression.
If you have an arts based background or a creative desire that you have never had a chance to safely express without feeling fearful, judged or exposed, the non-verbal forms of artistic or musical expression may be included within your CAT therapy at your choice. For example:
If you find it difficult to put your thoughts and feelings into words.
If you feel numb and cannot easily access your feeling.
Choosing the right Therapist is important and is vital to a satisfactory outcome.
Your therapy session is time for you to share what you feel safe enough to confide. I recommend an initial consultation with no further obligation unless this feels like the right path for you to take.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
15-minute complimentary initial phone consultation. Clinics:- North London Mon.Tue aft-eve Thurs A.M. Muswell Hill & Crouch End. Thurs & Fri aft to eve Central and South London.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am an ACAT accredited clinical supervisor with many years of experience in NHS forensic, in-patient and community based services.View supervision profile