Vincent Tanner, PG Dip, MBACP Accred, EMDR Stage 4
Online counselling via Zoom or phone is available for all clients. If you're unsure how this would work, please email me and I can take you through any questions or concerns you may have.
As we face these challenging times linked to the outbreak of Coronavirus (Covid-19), are you finding life even more difficult at the moment, more stressed or anxious at work or home - whether you find yourself now working from home or are a key worker continuing in the workplace? Talking can help you move to a more positive position and improve or resolve issues you are facing.
Over several years of counselling with people of all ages, I have come to appreciate how the experiences in our formative years as children and young adolescents are so significant in how we respond to events in our day-to-day lives. I have experience working with many of the different issues that come up in every day life such as anxiety, depression, trauma and bereavement.
I work intuitively with you to help clarify your thoughts and feelings and enable you to see things from a different perspective. My main objective is to work with you to understand yourself better, and to allow you to move forwards with your life.
Located in the centre of Hertford - or via online sessions - my office offers a neutral setting for discussions in a discreet and friendly environment, with free parking. For further information please visit my website or contact me.
Hello Vincent, I’ve thought lots about my time with you and wanted to really thank you. From being quite a confused and conflicted 17 year old to becoming a self assured, confident and grounded 18 year old.
Your EMDR techniques although seeming odd and tedious at first ended up really bringing up suppressed memories that I thought I’d forgotten. They helped me to make links in my mind and the way you understood my creative side enabled me to express feelings that I’d felt afraid or ashamed of. You constantly surprised me by remembering small details that I’d shared from weeks ago- this caused me to feel safe to share in a non-judgemental space. I now don’t have as much anxious irrational emotions and feel confident in the fact that I now have choices and am free to live a life without fear. I thought I should tell you the day of the last counselling, I got a small tattoo on my wrist to always remind me that I am free and I don’t need to live in the past anymore. Everyday I see this reminder to tell me that I am safe and loved and have an entire life ahead of me. Words cannot express how thankful I am. I wish you the best in you future career and hope you find joy in helping others like me. Ms CD, Herts, February 2020
I had never been to counselling before and wanted to try it to help with my anxiety. I can’t thank Vincent enough for the support, help, understanding and knowledge that he offered during my sessions. Myself and others can all see the difference with how I manage my anxiety now. One of the best decisions I have ever made for myself. Thank you Vincent! Ms SD, December 2019
- "I have to confess I wasn't sure what it'd be like working with a male counsellor before my first session, but working with Vincent was the most effective experience I've had with counselling so far. He made me feel welcome and relaxed, and my concerns were immediately allayed. I definitely felt like we went on a journey together which has brought me to a place where I'm much more contented with myself as a person and confident in my own abilities and decisions. Thank you Vincent for your patience and support." Ms EM, Herts, March 2018
- "My teenage son was suffering from severe anxiety and had counselling with Vincent over many months. Right from the very first session I could see that Vincent was helping my son to cope with his anxiety. Vincent is very easy to talk to, calm and measured and also extremely professional. Vincent was also very sensitive when it was time for the sessions to finish, recognising that moving on is a challenging but important step." Mrs R S, Herts, January 2018
- "I used to feel stressed out all the time but Vincent helped me calm down and feel happy again." Mrs R S's son, January 2018
- "I had no previous experience of counselling prior to meeting with Vincent. When I started I was highly self critical and trapped by previous experiences. I had to work hard but Vincent worked just as hard with me. Today I am in a far better place compared to when I started. Having counselling has changed my life for the better. I would not hesitate to go back. I am extremely grateful to Vincent and I would not hesitate to recommend him to others." Mr R H, December 2017
- "Vincent was warm, friendly and easy to talk too. I came out of each session with more clarity, and in the subsequent week would unknowingly put things we’d discussed into practice, which made me feel less anxious, and better prepared facing into the next challenge. It really is good to talk". Miss A H, Herts, June 2017
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Humanistic Integrative Counselling: Covering Humanistic integrative, person-centred, Gestalt behavioural theories including CBT and Psychodynamic.
- Foundation course in Psychodynamic and Person-Centred Counselling, Hertfordshire University
- Stage 4 EMDR trained (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing): World recognised treatment for trauma and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).
- Secondary Academy School, Potters Bar: provided counselling services to young adults at a mixed secondary school.
- Enfield Carers, Enfield: provided counselling to long-term carers finding it difficult to cope caring for a family member.
- St Albans Bereavement Network, St Albans: worked with adults with overwhelming loss who had been referred to the Network by their GP.
- Secondary State School, Harpenden: provided counselling services to adolescents at a mixed Secondary School.
- 331, Young Person’s Walk-in Centre, Barnet: worked with adolescents and young adults from ages 13 to 23, liaising with schools and CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) when required.
- Princes Trust, Barnet: counselled long-term carers caring for a family member.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£50-60 per session, with each session being 50 minutes.
I also offer one or two sessions per week at reduced rates for students and low-income families. Please ask for further details.
Monday to Friday 10am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm.
Covered to work with private healthcare insurers including: Axa, BUPA and Aviva.