Rachel McKinney (Sofia Counselling) MA (Dist), MBACP
Rooms in Central Newport & Cardiff
Life is a journey full of ebbs and flows of experiences, sometimes those experiences are harder than others and we find ourselves in a place that feels difficult, repetitive, lost, stuck or out of control. It is through these times counselling can offer the safe space and support to help you make choices that move you in the direction that you feel is right for you.
- Suffer with depression or experience symptoms of depression?
- Experience anxiety that feels uncomfortable or overwhelming?
- Do you feel stuck or lost in life?
- Are you finding it difficult to cope with stresses from work or home?
- Are you struggling to cope with the loss of a loved one?
- Experienced a change in life and finding it difficult to adjust?
- Notice unhealthy patterns in your relationships?
I am a highly qualified (Level 7) integrative counsellor, registered with the BACP, offering one to one counselling sessions for adults in the Newport and Cardiff area. The therapy I offer is tailored to meet your goals whilst working at a pace that suits you and your lifestyle.
I am compassionate and caring and will welcome you into a safe and confidential space. I will listen to your journey and strive to walk next to you every step of the way, with every step facilitating a new understanding of you and your world. It is through the therapeutic relationship that we can explore the issues that are important to you, whether they are in your past or your present, together we will work on a future that is right for you.
For more information please visit my website at www.sofiacounselling.com
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA in Integrative Counselling & Psychotherapy (Distinction)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Integrative Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling Skills
- BSc(Econ) Sociology & Education
I keep my skills and knowledge of counselling up to date by regularly attending professional development workshops.
My approach utilises the Relational Integrative Model (Faris & van Ooijen, 2012) and put simply means two things. Firstly, I adopt a mixture of theoretical approaches (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Psychodynamic and Humanistic). Secondly, I work in a ‘relational’ way which means that my belief in therapy lies in the power of the relationship created between the client and counsellor. The approaches that I adopt in our work together will be tailored to meet your personal goals and discussed with you at the beginning of therapy.
I have worked in private and public counselling organisations and have significant experience of working with adults on both a short and long term basis. I also currently volunteer and sit on the Management Committee for Sesame Counselling Service, a Newport based counselling charity.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Photos & videos
£40 per 50 minute session
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I currently have morning and evening weekday appointments available.
Types of client