Maria Coyle - Gestalt Counsellor And Clinical Supervisor
My own positive experience of counselling and group work has motivated me to help others with their struggles and to support them to live their lives in accordance with their own values. I have experienced different therapeutic approaches at different times in my life and believe that 'one shoe does not fit all.' Therefore, I work with people on an individual basis and tailor the therapy to their needs. I also believe that part of the healing process is in the therapeutic relationship between the counsellor and the client. I am open and honest with my clients and do my best to really understand their whole experience and without judgement. I support people with a range of issues including anxiety, addiction, depression, phobias, anger, family issues, relationship issues, divorce, feeling sad, fertility, infertility, pregnancy, birth stories, maternal mental health and identity issues.
How I Work
I am a Gestalt Counsellor and Clinical Supervisor and also trained in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. I have many years experience working with people of all ages and from diverse backgrounds who have needed support to enable them to manage difficult feelings and live a more fulfilling life.
I offer gay affirmative therapy and work with LGBTQI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender non-conforming and non binary) people and others who are struggling with their identity.
I'm a counsellor and therapeutic group facilitator for a Brighton based Well-being Service and Threshold Women’s Counselling Service. I also offer clinical supervision for counsellors working in another charity and have a small private practice in Brighton and Hove.
I integrate Mindfulness practice and ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) to my work with clients. I offer short or long term work. The basis for my approach is talking therapy and may include creative expression, relational therapy or goal orientated in accordance with your needs. I may use language, dream-work, art, music, objects, visualization, metaphor, empty chair or fantasy depending on what areas you would like to explore.
My main approach is Gestalt and I also hold the values of Carl Rogers core conditions. I integrate Motivational Interviewing techniques with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) where needed. I offer sessions as a Counsellor, Clinical Supervisor, Group Facilitator and Trainer.
What To Expect From Sessions
I work one to one with individuals, couples and facilitate therapeutic groups. I have a very good understanding of 12 Step and recovery programmes. I work creatively and incorporate mindfulness techniques to provide individual counselling and facilitate group work, including Healthy Relationships, Understanding Your Anger and Living More Authentically.
I offer face to face sessions, telephone sessions and online sessions.
Sessions last for 50 minutes and take place once a week on the same day and at the same time.
Alternative arrangements are available if agreed in advance.
Sessions are £50 each and I offer some concessions.
Training, qualifications & experience
Diploma in Supervision (Gestalt Centre 2013)
Diploma in Counselling (Gestalt Centre 2007)
- TRE (Trauma Release Exercises)
- ACT ( Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)
- Identity Constellations
- Train the Trainer
- Suicide Prevention
- Teaching clients how to use mindfulness techniques
- Drug & Alcohol awareness / Therapeutic Tools
- Protective Behaviours
- Trauma Training
- Inclusive practice with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Youth
- Domestic Violence.
- Equality & Diversity
- Assessment Training
- Advanced Motivational Interviewing
- Motivational Interviewing
- Advanced HIV Awareness
- Anxiety & Panic Disorder
- Keeping Children Safe
- Tasks of Bereavement
- Dual Diagnosis (Mental ill health & substance use)
- Cannabis & Psychosis
- Early Intervention for Young People
- Understanding Refugee & Asylum Seeking Young People
- Certificate in Counselling at Birkbeck University
- Smoking Cessation Training – Level 2 Intervention
As a Trainer I develop bespoke training for the purpose of the organisation and the people receiving the training. I have developed specific training in Mental Health Awareness, Mental Illness Diagnosis, Low Self Esteem, Relationships, Safeguarding, Professional Boundaries, Managing Conflict and Keeping Safe and more.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Loss and grief (death, divorce, custody of children, redundancy,)
- LGBT ( Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Gender non-binary)
- 12 Step recovery for Addictions
- Specifically developed training
- General Anxiety Disorder
- Family and relationship issues (affairs, separation, parental or sibling disagreements)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Individual Counselling £50 per session
- Therapeutic Groups (to be agreed)
- Individual Supervision £50 per session
- Group Supervision (to be agreed)
Gestalt Therapy focuses on the present moment of experience whilst exploring relationships with others.
The aim of this model is:
1. Creation of a greater level of self awareness
2. Understanding of yourself in relation to others through the therapeutic relationship
3. Moving beyond the realm of talking therapy and into creativity, using body work, metaphor, visualisation, empty chair, mindfulness and more.
ACT Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy is a mindfulness-based, values-directed behavioural therapy.
The aim of this model is:
1. Acceptance of unwanted thoughts, feelings and sensations, which are out of your control
2. Commitment towards living a valued life
(Mindfulness is the practice of focussing attention on your thoughts, feelings and sensations as they occur in the present moment).
Person Centred Therapy (Client centred)
Person Centred Therapy provides clients with an opportunity to develop a sense of self where they can understand how their attitudes, feelings and behaviour are being negatively affected.
The aim of this model is to offer the Core Conditions:
1. Empathy - to understand the world of the client
2. Congruence - willingness of the therapist to openly relate to the client
3. Unconditional Positive Regard - to accept the client without judgement
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available some mornings, afternoons or evenings.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I offer individual and group supervision to counsellors or other professionals in need of clinical supervision.