Jacqueline Colligan, MSc, BA (Hons), Dip Couns, MBACP Registered.
Hello and welcome. I am an experienced therapist with private rooms in Sandwich, (Kent), Frinton on Sea (North Essex) and central London.
For the duration of the national lockdown – introduced in January 2021 – I am encouraging online appointments via secure videoconferencing. Face to face is also an option.
~ Now that you have found my details and if you are facing a difficult time, I would like to support you in the process of beginning therapy and making the changes you hope for.
Reasons for seeking therapy.
Clients come to counselling for very individual reasons:
• Stressful life events – a change of status perhaps brought about by bereavement, separation, divorce, becoming a parent or change in employment
• Difficulty coping with day-to-day life – recurring patterns of thought, feelings or behaviour may have become troubling.
• General low mood that is difficult to put into words
• Symptoms such as anxiety, panic and phobia, as well as depression, low self-confidence, anger, and trauma. I also work with sexual issues - individual to each person.
Training, qualifications & experience.
I have a strong academic background as a London trained Psychotherapist, educated to Masters Degree level. I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I have 10 years therapeutic experience working within a number of private and public sector settings including some of the UK's most prestigious private mental health clinics. I have also provided specialist trauma therapy within the UK NHS and prison services. I have helped many different clients over the years overcome or learn to manage complex issues such as: addiction, depression, anxiety disorders, relationship issues, sexual issues, chat room, pornography addiction, psychosexual issues and bereavement problems.
Whilst fully conversant in many areas I specialise in addiction, factitious disorder, parentification/enmeshment, cults and sexual offenders.
My style of working is based on a humanistic and psychodynamic theoretical approach. What this means is that I offer an exploratory style of therapy based on sound research that we are shaped by events and relationships in our formative years. My style of working would focus on past events as well as relationships and attachment issues in the present.
I have a longstanding experience of working with issues related to cults, issues with childhood abuse/neglect and intercultural counselling including racially motivated abuse. I am experienced in systemic organisational and religious abuse. Each individual is unique and important and the entire process is confidential. I have an enhanced DBS check and as a member of the BACP I am bound by their ethical and confidentiality guidelines.
I offer Dialectical Behavioural Therapy /DBT, one to one therapy, couples counselling - with a specialist interest in behaviour change.
Clients range from those in the public eye to others who are not. I have featured on live TV's 'The Woman Show' on an expert panel on Sex Addiction'.
I reserve concessionary discount for the unemployed, key workers and also student counsellors.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BA (Hons) Anthropology & Epidemiology - University of Newcastle. 1983. 2:1 pass.
- MSc Behavioural Healthcare Science. University of Newcastle. 2001.
- Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy. Lambeth College London. 2012 -Dip. (L4)
- DBT Training - 12 week intensive with US Trainers. 2015.
- Certificate in Dealing with Distress, Self Harm and Suicidal Ideation. Carolyn Spring Training. June 2020.
- Certificate in Dialectical Behavioural Therapy. June 2020
- Addictions Therapist. Perry Clayman Project, London. 2012 - 2013
- Addictions Therapist. Open Road. Essex. 2014 - 15
- Addictions Therapist. Sanctuary Lodge, Essex. 2015 -17
- Senior Therapist & Trauma Lead, Promis Clinics, London & Kent.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
People at a crossroads in their lives. Dissatisfaction with life, Couples counselling, Loss and change, alienation and isolation
- Shame, self-criticism, feelings of inadequacy and under achievement in life
- Childhood neglect and related issues
- Workplace issues
- Sexual Identity Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT)
- Cultural identity and displacement
- People affected by suicide
- People affected by someone else's addiction/dependency
- Adults whose parents are/were addicts/alcoholics
- All addictions (drugs/alcohol, sexual, internet porn, shopping, addictive relationships..etc..)
- People involved in 12-Step Recovery Programs'
DBT - Dialectical Behavioural Therapy
Psychoanalytical and Psychodynamic
- General individual counselling in Kent/Essex : £80 - £100 per hour
- General individual counselling in London: £140.00 per hour
- Couples counselling : £120.00 per session Kent/Essex, £180:00 London.
- One to one or online DBT sessions - price for block bookings on application.
Concessions offered for
''Jackie demonstrated such genuine empathy during our one to one and group sessions. I felt understood, connected, and safe talking about the most vulnerable parts of myself. Her advice was always exactly what I needed to hear, even when it was the hard truth. I appreciated our sessions and how she brought new perspective and clarity to my situation around recovery and my mental health . Jackie enabled me to find the missing pieces around my recovery , it hasn’t been a straight road but I’m a million miles away from that space I was in and Jackie has a lot to do with that ! You can use my first name , I don’t need to be anonymous''. Regards Wayne M.
''I saw Jackie under sufferance, as penance perhaps for a failed suicide attempt. Years of alcohol and medication abuse, chronic insomnia, anxiety and numerous other challenges from the psychotherapist handbook. I spent a year with her, once a week being guided to understand the events that made for such a chaotic and dysfunctional life. Once that was done, Jackie armed me with the tools to step forward and recognise the signs which would have me step back. I owe her more than perhaps modesty would have her realise. An outstanding counsellor who always knew when I was dodging the issue. - JJ
''Firstly to thank you for all the incredible help over the recent months. I’ve learnt so much about myself and my behaviours in my sessions with you, and I leave with a lot of learnings and tools. Thanks again Jackie, I will never be grateful enough to thank you, for your insight and support. - NL''
I highly recommend Jackie in many ways as a professional, and also as a person- while dedicated to her work with deep seriousness her vibrant personality and, mindfully used by Jackie only when appropriate, wonderful sense humour makes Jackie a joy to be around''. Scott R.