Genevieve Kerr MA , Reg. MBACP (Accred), UKRCP, Dip. Hyp.
I am a fully qualified, accredited (MBACP, UKCP) and experienced Counsellor, Psychotherapist and Clinical Hypnotherapist. I am a qualified EMDR practitioner. I offer both short-term and long-term therapy.
I am certain that therapy can help transform our lives. I can help you explore issues, understand what has been holding you from leading a fuller and richer life, gain relief from present symptoms, develop resources to cope and bring about some positive changes. I can offer you a safe, confidential space and a warm, caring and effective presence.
My approach is integrative. No single approach works with everyone in every situation. Whilst remaining person-centred, I tailor my therapeutic approach to suit your particular needs. I may use in my practice combined elements of
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Hypnotherapy: in conjunction with counselling, it is a fast and effective tool for building confidence, letting go of unwanted habits, addictions, phobias, anger, etc.
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing) to help treat post-traumatic stress, panic attacks, phobias, obsessive behaviours, and to clear past destructive experiences such as childhood trauma, sexual abuse .
- Mindfulness, to learn to disengage from unhelpful thought patterns which are often the root cause of depression and anxiety
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)
- SFT (Solution Focused Therapy) to define goals and find solutions
A few notes about some of the above therapies:
EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing) is a powerful technique, recommended by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) as a treatment of choice for traumatic stress disorder. It is mostly non-verbal and therefore ideal for people who feel uncomfortable discussing traumatic or intensely personal experiences in detail. It is quick, effective and helpful for many issues: childhood sexual and/or physical abuse or neglect, complex trauma, phobias, disasters, accidents, assault, etc. It is also very effective to treat many anxiety based issues.
Clinical Hypnotherapy uses hypnosis to facilitate change. It is a perfectly natural, safe, relaxing state of mind, much like a daydream. You remain in control at all times . Hypnotherapy uses the power of suggestion to talk directly to the subconscious mind. It enables you to reprogram old patterns and habitual conditioning and to find meaningful alternatives to present unsatisfactory ways of thinking, feeling or behaving.
Mindfulness is a very effective therapeutic tool. It helps develop a moment-to-moment awareness of experience without judgement. Mindfulness practice can reduce stress, low mood and anxiety. It fosters general mental and psychological well-being and helps us develop more calmness, clarity and concentration.
In my practice, I like to combine flexibly all of these (and other) approaches to suit the individual and work as effectively as possible. I also like to help my clients find and develop self-help tools and resources for their improved well-being.
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained and qualified as a counsellor and psychotherapist at Durham University, where I gained a Masters in Counselling and Psychotherapy. I have worked as a therapist since 2001, both in educational settings and in private practice.
I am also a Clinical Hypnotherapist.
My qualifications are:
- MA in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy
- Certificate in Clinical Supervision
- Eye Movement Desensitisation Therapy (full training)
- Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Certificate in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education
- MA in French Language and Literature
- BA (Hons) in French Language and Literature
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
At the first session (free of charge), we usually explore your issues and how we might work together. I offer both short-term or long-term therapy. Sessions last one hour.
After the first assessment session, my fees are a flat rate of £40 per session, including for Hypnotherapy, EMDR or Supervision. I am happy to negotiate lower fees for students or for people on low income.
Early morning, evening and weekend appointments are available.
My practice is based in Linthorpe, Middlesbrough. It is within easy access of motorways or buses and is wheelchair friendly. There is easy car parking available.
I can offer sessions via Skype and in French as well as English.
I also offer Mindfulness Courses for groups and Group Hypnotherapy (up to ten participants) for Confidence and Self-esteem.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|