Lizzy Wicks BSc.Hons Psych,
I am an integrative counsellor, I provide therapy and support for a wide range of problems such as anger, anxiety, stress, depression, bereavment, loss or grief, trauma as well as parenting or life issues such as relationship problems due to poor attachments.
Depression, anxiety and low mood can be triggered by many problems - such as a recent trauma, a lifestyle change, a disappointment, a grief or a loss or a childhood trauma. Therapy can help to identify core problems, by talking through the issue and exploring your thoughts and feelings. My role is to provide support and guidance in managing your current feelings and help you find better ways or skills to manage problems in the future.
I work using a diverse range of therapies that suit the client to address and manage problems. For example I can help clients with assertiveness training and boundary setting which helps to manage anger. Clients who find they need to manage anxiety or high levels of stress can be helped to find ways to calm themselves - using methods such as EFT, Jacobsons Technique, mindfullness or breathing skills which helps to calm and relax and reflect on situations in a different way.
Coping with stressful situations is connected with burn out, ill health and reliance on unhealthy survial skills such as alcohol and drugs or restricting or bingeing on food, or overworking.My aim is to help you regain mental and physical well being.
I often provide clients with information about their condition as understanding problems can often help with the healing process as well as teaching skills to help you manage problematic situations in the future.
I have worked in many different areas which has given me a wide range of skills to work with life issues - such as loss, grief, shame, addiction, eating disorders, overeating, self harm, depression and trauma. I am also able to provide support and coaching for difficulties arising from transitions at work or in your personal life, such as leaving home, divorce, adjusting to a new job or a redundancy, pressures experienced at university, being a new mum or a lone parent or when you experience difficulties within relationships.
I work as a sober coach with post treatment clients (alcohol, drugs, prescribed medication or behavioural addictions, codependency, gambling etc.). Individuals who have addiction issues have often experienced an initial trauma sometimes in childhood or as an adult. I help support individuals to come to terms with the trauma from the past to help the healing process. An important part of recovery is relapse prevention and I am experienced practitioner who can help you to identify triggers or past behaviours which may lead you back into addiction.
I work with adults of all ages, cultural backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
I am trained to use DDP skills to help parents improve relationships with their children.
I have a private practice in Weybridge and in SE1 London where I see clients on an individual basis or as couples. I also offer phone, Skype/Face time sessions.
I also work with individuals in Europe and the US. An initial breakthrough week can take place in your own home, or aplace of your choice - to establish a therapeutic relationship and identify issues and source coping techniques, (this can be extended to 10 days or longer if required). I can then travel to your home town on a weekly basis to continue the therapy with weekly follow up sessions and additional Skype/Facetime calls. Rates vary - please contact me to discuss costs.
Training, qualifications & experience
I initially trained at the University of Surrey and gained a Diploma in Person Centered Counselling in 2002. I then returned to full time study in 2004 gaining an Honours Degree in Psychology in 2007. I am a member of the BACP, BPS and FDAP and I am currently completing a Master Practitioner in Eating Disorders and Obesity qualification and have a certificate in Nutritional Interventions.
I have also undertaken many hours of professional development in many different areas:
Priory Hospital, Roehampton - CBT and Reality Therapy, 12 Step Addiction Treatment Programme
Treatment of Eating Disorders, Half Life of Anorexia Nervosa, Connections between the use of Cannabis and Schizophrenia, Alcohol and Drug Addiction, The Missing Link in Addictions Treatment, Trauma Resolution, The Ghoul of Psychosexual Medicine, Anger management,
Tran cranial Magnetic Stimulation for Depression – Hype or Hope? (Dr.Ian Muir Anderson),
Addicted to Love- Management of Compulsive Relationships .
• Sam Beare Palliative Care (2002 – 2004) Working with - Suicidal Clients, Clients Suffering from Terminal Illness, Existential Perspectives on Mortality, Grief and Grief Rituals Across Different Cultures.
• Skills Development Workshops (2003) Managing Self Harm & Suicide, CBT and other interventions
• St.Christophers’ Hospital Tooting (2003 ) Anger & Aggression (Colin Murray Parkes)
Working with Traumatic Death and Bereavement (Colin Murray Parkes)
• Mindfields College, (2004) REBT and CBT therapy - Effective Anger Management (Joe Griffin)
• European Symposium on Addictive Disorders (2005) Is it Love or is it Addiction (Brenda Schaefer) Couples in Recovery 7 Golden rules for Happiness (John Friel)
• University of Surrey(2008) - Evolution (Sir Robert Winston)
• NLP (2008) Guildford Adult Education
• Elmbridge Borough Council (2009) Let’s Talk Inclusion – One day workshop on Equality and Diversity. Workshops including Forced marriages and honour violence and Travellers and ethnic communities .
• NHS First Aid Training. (2009)
• HMP Send ACCT training –managing self harm and suicide ideation (2010)
• RAPt Diversity Training (2011)
• RAPt 12 Step Programme Training (2011)
• RAPt Motivational Enhancement Training(2011)
• PTSD, COMBAT & CHILDHOOD Part 1, 2 & 3. (UKESAD 2011) Larry Ashley
• HMPrison Security Training (Feb 2012)
• Attachments and the Development of Self (March 2012) Lynne Hipkin
• IMAGO Relationship Training (May 2012) Sophie Slade
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Eating Disorders (October 2012) PrifGlenn Waller
Ethical Marketing - (October 2012) Martin Hogg
Certificate in Social media (March 2013) Julian Holden
Attachment Theory - Creating a Secure Base (June 2014) Dr.Gwen Adshead
Certificate Nutritional skills for Eating Disorders (Novemeber 2014) Jane Nodder
Practitioner Skills in Obesity Management - (June 2015) Deanne Jade
Practitioner Skills for Eating Disorder - (October 2015) Deanne Jade
BPS Approver Advanced Diploma For Eating Disorders and Nutritional Skills - (April 2015) - Deanne Jade
Tight Ropes and Safety Nets - Counselling Suicidal Clients- (February 2016) - Dr.Andrew Reeves -
New Approaches to Working with Bodies Today - (February 2016) - Susie Orbach
Dyadic Developmental Practice Psychotherapy & Parenting Level 1 September 2017
Mindfullness and meditation September 2017
• Couples Therapy: Dynamic Approaches for Working with Aggression (March 2018)
• Attachment Theory in Clinical Practice - The Bowlby Centre ( February/March 2018)
• Neurosomatic Therapy - Chronic Fatigue and Fybromialgia. (April 2018)
• Making Better Relationship choices Wimbledon Guild (June 2018)
• Sex on the Rocks - Anne Power (June 2018)
• EFT - Energy Therapy Centre (September 2018)
• The Phsychophysiology of PTSD and Trauma ( October 2018)
• Schema Focussed Therapy for Eating Disorders - BPS (November 2018)
Battlefield Birth Working Therapeutically with Birth Trauma, Tokophobia and Perinatal PTSD - WPF (January 2019)
• Developing Minds mental Health Children & Young People - Dan Siegel Place2Be (February 2019)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Disordered Eating including weight management for individuals who struggle with dieting. Long term dieting or yo-yo dieting often affects your metabolism which makes it very difficult to lose weight. I coach individuals in changing their lifestlyles, their behaviours and attitudes towards food and eating - which can help people to understand why they have gained weight and how they can change and adapt their lifestyle to lose weight and gain self esteem. This is a programme for well being and not a dieting plan. Please contact me if you wish to discuss an eating disorder and require further information.
Therapeutic sessions are 50 minutes long and cost between £60-£90 in the Weybridge area. Some Saturday sessions are available - £100
London sessions cost between £120 - £160. Please discuss when you first make contact.
Concessions are available for Individuals who have genuine financial circumstances, for example the unemployed or pensioners. Please ask about this prior to your frst appointment so we can agree a fee.
Weekly Rates - please call to discuss.
Counselling psychotherapy MBACP, FDAP, BPS . BSc Hons Psych, Dip Counselling.
Walking distance from Weybridge Train Station.
Previous places of employment - The Priory Hospital - Roehampton. The Kusnacht Practice - Zurich. HMP Prison - Send, Sam Beare Unit - Weybridge. Lone Parents - Basingstoke. WI-CS - London. Hope Therapy - Private Practice - Weybridge, London & Geneva.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Call 07910284089 for an appointment. Day and evening appointments available in Weybridge and Holborn Viaduct London
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|