Elizabeth Carey, Cert Ed., MBACP (Accred), Lvl 6 Cert In Supervision
5 Kemmilhill Heights
I have been counselling for over 20 twenty years and I am an accredited and registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy.
Life, living and dying present many challenges to us as individuals and families throughout our lifetime. Through counselling we can receive professional support to help us understand, manage and change if necessary, our thoughts feelings and behaviours.
As an Integrative counsellor I engage with my clients in an environment where they can reflect on their concerns and issues without fear of judgement. We are all unique and I appreciate and relate to my clients and their life experiences as individuals. I am respectful, empathic and genuine and work with my clients to develop a trusting relationship which provides a safe space to share, reflect and process what causes the concern, confusion and emotional distress or hurt. My way of being, my training and my experience can help you to understand yourself more clearly and compassionately and if desired make changes that allow you to live and experience your life and relationships with less distress and more fulfilment.
My Professional Background and Experience:
As an accredited and registered member of BACP, I adhere to their Ethical Framework, Code of Practice and requirements for their professional register, to ensure I work safely and professionally with each individual client.
Most of my counselling experience has been working as student counsellor in Further and Higher Education with students from adolescence to adults dealing with a diverse and sometimes complex range of issues including Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Bereavement / Loss, Relationship Problems, Eating Disorders and Sexual Orientation, sexual abuse and behavioural disorders.
I also worked with an addiction agency, counselling clients who had a dependency on alcohol and prescribed medication.
Throughout my Counselling Career I spent almost twenty years training and mentoring trainee counsellors from level 2 through to foundation degree level and for 7 years was a Course Director for the University of Ulster Foundation Degree in Counselling.
My core training and practice is in Integrative Therapy, however I have experience in a range of approaches and all my work is supported with Continuous Professional and Personal Development and Training.
I am also a qualified supervisor and supervise counsellors privately and as a supervisor on the University of Ulster supervisors list for their range of counselling training programmes
What to expect from counselling with me:
- Initially clients may contact me on my mobile telephone number. A client may find this initial contact difficult however I will support them to make an appointment for a face to face interview. Alternatively you may leave a message or a text and I will return your call.
- At the first appointment we will introduce ourselves and work together to come to an understanding of the counselling process and your needs. I appreciate that this experience may be difficult for clients however I endeavour to provide provide a warm, understanding and confidential environment to help initiate a trusting relationship.
- We may contract at the end of this session or you may wish to consider your options further and we can contract at the next session. A contract will be negotiated and agreed and provide clarity regarding the setting, timing, purpose, monitoring, closure and feedback of the counselling relationship.
- I have a choice of settings for my practice based in an holistic therapy room (Ravensara Holistic Therapy) in Randalstown and a counselling room in Antrim. Both are calm and comfortable, easy to access, with free parking and close to the M2 and major roads.
Training, qualifications & experience
1973 Cert in Education Keele University
1994 Cert in Counselling Skills in the Development of Learning RSA
1996 Adv Cert in Education (Counselling, Psychology of Adolescence
Addiction, Pastoral Support) Queen’s University
2005 Adv Diploma in Counselling CPCAB
2007 Certificate in CBT Skills and Theory University of Ulster
2010 Mentorship for Performance Improvement University of Ulster
2011 Trained to Deliver Safeguarding Training (Social Services in association with University of Ulster)
2014 BACP Accreditation as Counsellor / Psychotherapist
2015 Level 6 Certificate in Therapeutic Counselling Supervision CPCAB
2006 Motivational Interviewing
2007 Working with People with Cancer Related Issues (NRC/Action Cancer)
2008 ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training)
2009 SAFETALK (Suicide Alertness)
2012 The Impact of Family and Alcohol Abuse on Self Harm
2013 Psychological Trauma and Dissociation
2013 Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ( PTSD) through a scholarship to Kansas State University
Art Therapy- ( Kansas State University)
Drama Therapy ( Kansas State University)
2014 Trauma and the Impact on Families
2014 Ethics Masterclass (Tim Bond)
2015 Supervision CPD (Bobby Moore/University of Ulster)
2015 Certificate in Mindfulness (AWARE)
2016 Trauma is a Worldwide Phenomenon (NICF)
2016 Trauma and Addictions ( Wave/Queens University)
2017 Working therapeutically with the hurt child within. NCS
2017 Online Webcast: Private Practice conference 2017 BACP
‘Identity: can you tell me who I am?’
I have attended a variety of conferences covering a variety of issues including Suicide and Suicide prevention, Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection/ Safeguarding Training, Working with Depression.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Existential therapy
I have a sliding scale of fees.
Trainee Counsellor - £30 per hour
Voluntary Counsellor - £35 per hour
Paid Counsellor - £40
Supervision of Counsellors - £40 per hour.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I have flexible working hours which can be negotiated day or evening.
Types of client